The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Ron MacLean homophobic?

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, canuckmunk said:

You can hate him all you want as a broadcaster but if you actually think he should be fired for making that comment then you are the true problem with society

I want him gone by any means necessary.   His continued employment after the Burrows hit piece is something Sportsnet should be ashamed of.  Terrible broadcaster and terrible person; I want no part in contributing to the prevention of that worthless piece of garbage from starving to death.

@King Heffy

You are a very angry person. Who hurt you? 

Im not saying i disagree, but seriously....you get really descriptive about people getting their lives ruined. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I want him gone by any means necessary.   His continued employment after the Burrows hit piece is something Sportsnet should be ashamed of.  Terrible broadcaster and terrible person; I want no part in contributing to the prevention of that worthless piece of garbage from starving to death.

You need to rethink your choice of hobbies. Take up crocheting 

1 minute ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

@King Heffy

You are a very angry person. Who hurt you? 

Im not saying i disagree, but seriously....you get really descriptive about people getting their lives ruined. 

You need to rethink your choice of hobbies. Take up crocheting 

Show me on the doll where my words hurt you.

Not a fan of the guy, but I don't dislike him as much as most, and they fired Cherry for less. Just get em outta here.  The NBA is way ahead of the NHL in the analyst/personality front. We need more Bieksa's, players with personalities. Need fewer Ron McLean's. Hopefully when Subban calls it a career they bring him onto the panel. He's well spoken and has charisma. Just like Juice.

Edited by debluvscanucks
  • RoughGame 1

18 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Not a fan of the guy, but I don't dislike him as much as most, and they fired Cherry for less. Just get em outta here. WThe NBA is way ahead of the NHL in the analyst/personality front. We need more Bieksa's, players with personalities. Need fewer Ron McLean's. Hopefully when Subban calls it a career they bring him onto the panel. He's well spoken and has charisma. Just like Juice.

You should be banned for your racist comments

Edited by debluvscanucks
  • Cheers 1

Not a fan of the guy, but I don't dislike him as much as most, and they fired Cherry for less. Just get em outta here.  The NBA is way ahead of the NHL in the analyst/personality front. We need more Bieksa's, players with personalities. Need fewer Ron McLean's. Hopefully when Subban calls it a career they bring him onto the panel. He's well spoken and has charisma. Just like Juice.

I am a little torn by this. I don't mind injecting some personality in the NHL but I feel like the NHL is more forcing or trying to hard to do so and it just doesn't feel natural. I do agree with Bieksa and Subban having a future in broadcast and adding them would add some personality but only when that time comes. 

I remember that period where I was watching the NBC broadcasts in the NHL, the analysts there tried hard to sensationalize every angle and every story that it became quite off putting. 

Not a fan of the guy, but I don't dislike him as much as most, and they fired Cherry for less. Just get em outta here. The NBA is way ahead of the NHL in the analyst/personality front. We need more Bieksa's, players with personalities. Need fewer Ron McLean's. Hopefully when Subban calls it a career they bring him onto the panel. He's well spoken and has charisma. Just like Juice.

So its ok to be racist as long as its against white people?  What a POS thing to say

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think he actually said that 

So wait, on one hand you have Cherry who didn't actually say anything about Asians but gets fired since it was implied and that's totally fine and on the other you have someone who actually mentions race multiple times but that's totally fine by you? You SJW's crack me up with your backwards logic, at least it's good for a laugh though

41 minutes ago, canuckmunk said:

So wait, on one hand you have Cherry who didn't actually say anything about Asians but gets fired since it was implied and that's totally fine and on the other you have someone who actually mentions race multiple times but that's totally fine by you? You SJW's crack me up with your backwards logic, at least it's good for a laugh though

Im a SJW? Neat.

50 minutes ago, canuckmunk said:

Three out of four viewable posts defending a scumbag with a history of calling our players liars when they expose a corrupt ref.  Paging John McCaw...

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Three out of four viewable posts defending a scumbag with a history of calling our players liars when they expose a corrupt ref.  Paging John McCaw...

I don't even like Ron, I'm just pointing out how stupid you all are for trying to turn a nothing comment he made into a big social issue. Like I said earlier if you want to hate him that's fine, if you want him fired because you don't like him then what do I care but I'm honestly sick of all you idiots trying to make a big deal out of what he said. Why don't you go after the person in this thread who actually made racist comments? Maybe you should find out where he works and get him fired?  Isn't that what you all crave? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, canuckmunk said:

I don't even like Ron, I'm just pointing out how stupid you all are for trying to turn a nothing comment he made into a big social issue. Like I said earlier if you want to hate him that's fine, if you want him fired because you don't like him then what do I care but I'm honestly sick of all you idiots trying to make a big deal out of what he said. Why don't you go after the person in this thread who actually made racist comments? Maybe you should find out where he works and get him fired?  Isn't that what you all crave? 

If you can't tell the difference in standards for what's acceptable on an internet forum compared to a national broadcast, I can't help you.  MacLean is paid to act like a professional; he chose not to do so.

Edited by King Heffy

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If you can't tell the difference in standards for what's acceptable on an internet forum compared to a national broadcast, I can't help you.  MacLean is paid to act like a professional; he chose not to do so.

I swear it's like arguing with a pile of bricks, so according to you it's perfectly acceptable to be racist or homophobic on a internet forum but totally unacceptable for someone on live tv to say something that was neither racist nor homophobic? keep digging that hole there bud I'm loving this 

11 minutes ago, canuckmunk said:

I swear it's like arguing with a pile of bricks, so according to you it's perfectly acceptable to be racist or homophobic on a internet forum but totally unacceptable for someone on live tv to say something that was neither racist nor homophobic? keep digging that hole there bud I'm loving this 

Nothing anyone said here was racist.  MacLean's conduct, however, was certainly unprofessional.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Im a SJW? Neat.

I had to google the term - there's worse things to be called. As for anyone defending Cherry - his views were relevant back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. He has always been entitled to his opinions but not on a platform like CBC and we are better for him being removed from the public airways.

• Cheers 1

my first time speaking on this and say what you will about ron, but i dont think the comment was homophobic, and im saying this as an lgbtq+ person. the wording out of context sounds bad but i dont think there was anything malicious about it. he's done a lot of good for the lgbtq+ community to try and help hockey be more inclusive. he apologized, gave context on the wording, time to move on

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, canuckmunk said:

You people that come here … whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you could pay a couple of bucks for a poppy 

That's what he said - not sure who implied he was directing it towards Asians? To me it was directed towards all immigrants in general and have no issue with his firing at all.