The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why do they not count cap hit during playoffs?

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pretty much all teams pay the very high insurance to have big dollar guys’ contracts insured.  I think it’s a number of contracts in a pool for each team.  Some players don’t qualify though, because they are too risky.  Like Ferland’s contract isn’t insured, because no insurer would include it.  I think the Leafs have several of those, because they can afford them and take them in trade with an attached asset, like Nathan Horton.  

But still an honest question, isn't the insurance for a career ending injury that helps a player recover money from a future contract?   They all get paid no matter what, including Ferland who's wasn't insured.    I'm pretty sure a contract is paid injured or not by the team which counts against the cap.   The players pay they own premiums for getting hurt so bad their careers get cut short.  So basically for loss of future earnings. 

Edited by IBatch

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

But still an honest question, isn't the insurance for a career ending injury that helps a player recover money from a future contract?   They all get paid no matter what, including Ferland who's wasn't insured.    I'm pretty sure a contract is paid injured or not by the team which counts against the cap.   The players pay they own premiums for getting hurt so bad their careers get cut short. 

When it comes to LTIR and the cap, a team needs to be at the upper cap threshold.  Then they can get cap relief using LTIR, which allows them to exceed the cap for the duration the player is on LTIR.  So cap relief is actually that team having their upper limit adjusted.  Teams will also acquire a LTIR contract to get to the cap floor, and then the cap hit does count against their cap.  

On 6/25/2021 at 5:15 PM, 24K PureCool said:

Once again, artificial limit. I think the disconnect is that this limit will have nothing to do with the actual cap but rather a artificial ceiling preventing Tampa like behaviours. 

If they can't fit hall's salary into their on ice lineup than don't trade for him. Simple. 

Every team is allowed to use up 81.5M however they want during the regular season provided they don't use prospective cap space but they are allowed to bank cap to use at a later date.

Boston had enough cap space to add Hall for a quarter of the season at 50%.  However if they add up all cap hits in the post-season they would obviously exceed the cap - like any team that adds players at the deadline.

Your suggestion in effect eliminates the trade deadline - as teams will always exceed the cap on a daily basis.  They stay cap compliant by having banked cap space.  Teams who have assets to sell at the deadline won't be able to sell and teams looking for playoff depth won't want to add if they can't have the player in the lineup in the post-season.

Edited by mll

On 6/24/2021 at 7:35 AM, #Canucks said:

I’m okay with this. What Tampa Bay is doing was smart. They planned there season in a certain way and took advantage. TBH any team that is upset is jealous they did not think of it. We take advantage of it here in Vancouver, we just are not in the playoffs to see it’s full effects. Loopholes are part of the game, every team looks for the advantage.

The Luongo contract… I still do not get it! The rule came into effect after he signed. That made no sense!

I think that's why people are butt hurt.  Vancouver got punished.  It was smart by Vancouver at the time.  However the league decided to punish the Canucks after the fact  Tampa will get away with it.  (And will be rewarded with a Stanley Cup)

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Losing With Pride said:

I think that's why people are butt hurt.  Vancouver got punished.  It was smart by Vancouver at the time.  However the league decided to punish the Canucks after the fact  Tampa will get away with it.  (And will be rewarded with a Stanley Cup)

This is what stings: the Stanley Cup. There are teams like Toronto/Vancouver and a few others what have used the cap the same way as Tampa but they are not in the finals or we would probably talk about it. However, Tampa has done it ever so blatantly with Kucherov! 

The Luongo thing was some sort of BS that Bettman cooked up. I have a feeling that the owners were told not to do what Aqua did but Aqua did it anyway and knew the punishment at the time before it was implemented.