The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Selling protection spots

I was rummaging around some expansion protection stuff and the Canucks clearly have 1-2 forward spots and 2 defense spots available

I will use Winnipeg as an example here where if you look at there probably protection list they will leave Logan Stanley and Mason Appleton exposed otherwise their other players are not worthwhile.

I would wonder if peg trades use those 2 players and we trade them back after the expansion draft at what valuation would that be fair or at the list worthwhile for us.

Both are useful players that are cost controlled so would you, if you were Winnipeg, trade the 17th OA ? Couple of seconds? Or would those assets be worth more than those two players.

I haven't looked at other teams as of yet but this type of deal would be ideal for teams that have 1 or 2 viable players that they'd rather keep and would have players that meet the exposure requirements that they'd be fine with losing..

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, goblix said:

I was rummaging around some expansion protection stuff and the Canucks clearly have 1-2 forward spots and 2 defense spots available

I will use Winnipeg as an example here where if you look at there probably protection list they will leave Logan Stanley and Mason Appleton exposed otherwise their other players are not worthwhile.

I would wonder if peg trades use those 2 players and we trade them back after the expansion draft at what valuation would that be fair or at the list worthwhile for us.

Both are useful players that are cost controlled so would you, if you were Winnipeg, trade the 17th OA ? Couple of seconds? Or would those assets be worth more than those two players.

I haven't looked at other teams as of yet but this type of deal would be ideal for teams that have 1 or 2 viable players that they'd rather keep and would have players that meet the exposure requirements that they'd be fine with losing..

Why complicate things....Winnipeg could just trade their 17th overall or a couple of 2nd to Seattle for them to take a crappy player.  Pretty sure they could do it without giving up the 17th overall.

Not allowed. It’s already been publicly addressed by the league 

Teams can trade with Seattle for the players Seattle has taken, including their own, but they can’t move a player to a third team to hide them in that team’s protection list and then get them back. At least not right away:

Any Player who is transferred (via Waivers or Trade) from one NHL Club’s Reserve List to another NHL Club’s Reserve List from February 1, 2021 through the date of the Expansion Draft (both dates inclusive) may not be reacquired via Trade by his prior NHL Club during the period following the Expansion Draft through January 31, 2022 (both dates inclusive). For the purpose of this provision, the “date of the Expansion Draft” shall be tentatively set as July 21, 2021, but remains subject to change as may be agreed upon between the parties”

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Not allowed. It’s already been publicly addressed by the league 

Teams can trade with Seattle for the players Seattle has taken, including their own, but they can’t move a player to a third team to hide them in that team’s protection list and then get them back. At least not right away:

Any Player who is transferred (via Waivers or Trade) from one NHL Club’s Reserve List to another NHL Club’s Reserve List from February 1, 2021 through the date of the Expansion Draft (both dates inclusive) may not be reacquired via Trade by his prior NHL Club during the period following the Expansion Draft through January 31, 2022 (both dates inclusive). For the purpose of this provision, the “date of the Expansion Draft” shall be tentatively set as July 21, 2021, but remains subject to change as may be agreed upon between the parties”

Very interesting... hypothetically, you could waive the player and the other team COULD re-claim him back, but this is of course a huge gamble.