The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

On 1/31/2022 at 1:12 AM, N4ZZY said:

I think the lessons are learned by now, that if you select a smaller player, they better have some elite level skills that they’re offering. Does Savoie, Kemell, Nazar, Cooley offer high end elite level skills despite their size? If they do, and they’re available, then we choose that player. I also think Nemec and Jiricek both are gone, if not within the top five, then for sure in the top ten. They’ll definitely be gone by the time we pick. 

Each of the the top small forwards brings certain elements that are elite, but most come with weaknesses too.

Savoie is the most explosive player in the draft; lightning-quick hands and feet, and can accelerate to full speed on a dime. He's also pretty solid in his own zone. Aside from being the smallest of the bunch at 5'9, other downside is his reliability with the puck. With his explosiveness and quickness, he'll often charge right into clusters of two or three opposing player, and at lower levels often finds his way through, but will drive coaches and teammates crazy with that at higher levels. Perhaps the highest upside of any player in the draft, and also the most likely to lift you out of your seat, but also comes with a lot of risk. Could pretty easily go in the top five, but I also wouldn't be completely shocked if he fell to the bottom of the top ten.

Cooley doesn't have any glaring weakness aside from size, hence being number two of Bob's mid-season list. Some sources have said if he was 6'1 he'd be consensus first overall. Lol, and if Wayne Gretzky had Mario Lemieux's size, or if Mark Stone could skate like Connor McDavid... Seriously though, Cooley is a machine. Elite 200 foot hockey sense. One of the most pro-style players in the draft class - uses his teammates well, committed to defense, knows how to create offense without forcing plays, but also is one of the most creative players in the draft. Good skater and stickhandler, but in my viewings he's far more likely to attack the middle of the ice with his playmaking than attacking defenders one-on-one. Most likely he is the first off the board of these smaller forwards, very good chance he goes top five.

I would add Jonathan Lekkerimaki to this group now, and personally I like him ahead of Kemell. Like Cooley, elite hockey IQ is his greatest strength. Like Cooley, he's very responsible with the puck; actually I would say even moreso, as Cooley is a highly creative playmaker so is bound to give pucks away here and there. Lekkerimaki is more of a pure goal-scorer, he's mostly looking to shoot or give-and-go. Not a lot of turnovers unless you mean the kind given by shooting and missing the net or putting it in the goalie's glove; but even there, his shot selection is really good for a player this age, so not a ton of that either. He's no Savoie or Nazar when it comes to speed, but pretty fast in his own right, and he uses the 10-2 in interesting ways, particularly off the puck, where he is able to explode laterally to slip coverage and move into scoring areas, or vice versa he'll be skating laterally and suddenly burst forward into a loose puck or area pass. I think he's right in the thick of this group, and I could easily see him going inside the top ten.

Kemell is the biggest of the bunch at 5'11 (and three quarters, according to some). He's a very good skater with an elite shot. In my estimation he's the least pro-translatable of the bunch. Loves to hold onto the puck, and to attack defenders one-on-one (or one-on-two or three). Not explosive like Savoie, but uses his stick skills both to attack defenders one-on-one as well as to draw them to the outside, and has a deep arsenal of dekes. It may sound contradictory to say both that he is the most perimeter-player of the bunch, but also that he attacks the inside more than any of them except Savoie, but I believe both are true - the trick is he just has the puck on his stick so goddamn much he does a lot of everything. This is certainly true at the junior level, and even in the pros, he doesn't defer to veterans the way any other 17 year old player would. He likes to skate around with the puck on the perimeter and wait for opportunities to pass or skate inside, or shoot for deflections. Wouldn't be the most shocking thing ever if he goes in the top five, but I'd also say there's a pretty good chance he falls out of the top ten, especially if a Nazar or Lekkerimaki sneaks in - there's only gonna be so many sub-6'0 forwards go in the top ten.

Nazar is the craftiest and most dynamic of the bunch. Doesn't have Savoie's explosiveness and the main weakness seems to be a lack of pure athleticism. But kid can play hockey. Probably the next best skater of the bunch; fast and quick, and extremely deceptive with his ability to make rapid changes of direction. He likes to utilize the 10-2, often to make quick cuts from the perimeter to inside, but he also likes to open up when he's in tight in front of the goalie to increase the threat of a backhander, a la Patrick Kane or Antonio Stranges. He's also a creative playmaker and crafty with the puck. He's sort of the middle ground between Savoie and Kemell on the one hand who are more aggressive attacking defenders and the middle of the ice, and Cooley and Lekkerimaki on the other, who are more conservative and focused on maintaining puck possession first. Probably doesn't quite have Cooley's or Lekkerimaki's level of offensive IQ that allows them to create offense without taking risks, so sometimes Nazar does need to force things a little and I've a few bad giveaways playing against NCAA competition. But Nazar is for my money the best defensive forward of this bunch. Maybe not as committed as Cooley to his own zone and staying above the puck, but Nazar knows how to use deception to force opponents to make bad decisions in all three zones.

Edited by HighOnHockey

On 2/17/2022 at 9:30 AM, Stierlitz said:

Juraj Slafkovsky with 5 goals in 5 games shares 1st place for the most goals in the current Olympic tournament. Slovakia plays Finland in semi final tomorrow.

Yes, and he added 2 more in his Bronze medal winning game.....................the has to have moved his ranking upward

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Yes, and he added 2 more in his Bronze medal winning game.....................the has to have moved his ranking upward

He scored first goal for Slovakia in the quarterfinal against USA and in the bronze medal game against Sweden. In total, 7 goals in 7 games - fantastic result for 17-year old. Slovakia won an Olympic medal in hockey for the first time in team's history, they got 4th place in Vancouver-2010.

slovaki.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

He scored first goal for Slovakia in the quarterfinal against USA and in the bronze medal game against Sweden. In total, 7 goals in 7 games - fantastic result for 17-year old. Slovakia won an Olympic medal in hockey for the first time in team's history, they got 4th place in Vancouver-2010.

slovaki.jpg

Great thing was how proud and happy they looked while receiving their medals.

Just a tad different than the USA silver medal women's team, who looked like they just drank sour milk.........LOL

• Like 1

16 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Great thing was how proud and happy they looked while receiving their medals.

Just a tad different than the USA silver medal women's team, who looked like they just drank sour milk.........LOL

Remember at World Juniors a few years back where Lias Andersson threw his gold medal into the crowd? Kinda happy he is looking like a flopper now.

But yeah Slafkovsky, wow. Grant McCagg and Recrutes has him ahead of Wright for first overall now. I asked around to people who follow media scouting services, and apparently they are one of the more respectable rankings out there. Personally, I still can't imagine anyone but Wright going first, but will be interesting to see what Bob's final list looks like. Seems extremely likely at this point that Slafkovsky will go top three anyway.

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Remember at World Juniors a few years back where Lias Andersson threw his gold medal into the crowd? Kinda happy he is looking like a flopper now.

But yeah Slafkovsky, wow. Grant McCagg and Recrutes has him ahead of Wright for first overall now. I asked around to people who follow media scouting services, and apparently they are one of the more respectable rankings out there. Personally, I still can't imagine anyone but Wright going first, but will be interesting to see what Bob's final list looks like. Seems extremely likely at this point that Slafkovsky will go top three anyway.

Yes, I could not agree more with you. They say 1 tournie should not change a ranking, but man he looked good! I think he has singlehandedly changed the rankings. Imagine him at 25, and in his prime!

4 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Are we too far away to predict a top 10? 

Last year it it was fairly obvious it was going to be either Guenther or one defenceman available to us at 9th. 

Im thinking we are either going to finish with the 10th or 11th pick barring a lotto miracle. 

Is the top 10 less predictable this year? 

I would say that top tier is a little deeper than last year. Maybe more like a top 12 or 14. I'll use my own rankings, but after Wright, 2-12 are almost interchangeable in my opinion.

1. Shane Wright

2. Ivan Miroshnichenko

3. Juraj Slafkovsky

4. Danila Yurov

5. Simon Nemec

6. Logan Cooley

7. David Jiricek

8. Frank Nazar

9. Matthew Savoie

10. Conor Geekie

11. Jonathan Lekkerimaki

12. Joakim Kemell

13. Gleb Trikozov

14. Brad Lambert

15. Seamus Casey

16. Kevin Korchinsky

17. Cutter Gauthier

18. Liam Ohgren

19. Denton Mateychuk

20. Pavel Mintyukov

I'm pretty bullish in my opinion of Trikozov; most sources would not have him that early. But I'd say the group that I have as the top 12 would be pretty close to consensus. Some people would include Lambert and/or Gauthier. I'd say there would also be reasonable cases to be made to include Ohgren, Korchinsky, Casey in that group, but those opinions would be in the minority. The top 12 should be very close to the top 12 I have listed, but the order could vary wildly.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

On 2/20/2022 at 8:49 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Silver medal..... Lol nobody throws gold. Ha but I agree was pretty immature. Meh won't condemn the kid for for a dumb choice ha made in a highly emotional state. 

Slafkovski looks legit.

Edited by hammertime

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I would say that top tier is a little deeper than last year. Maybe more like a top 12 or 14. I'll use my own rankings, but after Wright, 2-12 are almost interchangeable in my opinion.

1. Shane Wright

2. Ivan Miroshnichenko

3. Juraj Slafkovsky

4. Danila Yurov

5. Simon Nemec

6. Logan Cooley

7. David Jiricek

8. Frank Nazar

9. Matthew Savoie

10. Conor Geekie

11. Jonathan Lekkerimaki

12. Joakim Kemell

13. Gleb Trikozov

14. Brad Lambert

15. Seamus Casey

16. Kevin Korchinsky

17. Cutter Gauthier

18. Liam Ohgren

19. Denton Mateychuk

20. Pavel Mintyukov

I'm pretty bullish in my opinion of Trikozov; most sources would not have him that early. But I'd say the group that I have as the top 12 would be pretty close to consensus. Some people would include Lambert and/or Gauthier. I'd say there would also be reasonable cases to be made to include Ohgren, Korchinsky, Casey in that group, but those opinions would be in the minority. The top 12 should be very close to the top 12 I have listed, but the order could vary wildly.

Interesting 

Lambert has fallen for you. I feel like I was initially harsh due to a weak u18's followed up by a less than spectacular season in Liiga. Speed still kills though. I think I'm sticking around 8/9 on him.  

Casey movin back up over Nelson. Nelson is movin up my list after watching more of him his strength has put my size concerns a bit to rest. 

Cooley moving down for you. *I agree with this placement seems right great player lot's of risk. 6OA seems perfect. 

I dig Trikozov maybe a bit high but he shows you rare talent's I can get behind him at 13.

I'm not a big Gauthier fan. 17 seems like a good spot I'd put Nyman ahead of him. 

Kemell I understand he was due to cool off and I think he was concussed at the WJC after returning from injury. Given his penchant for going 1 on 2, 1 on 3, 1 on the whole team I could see him going as low as you have him but his shot is elite and he's underrated as a playmaker. He sits just outside my top 5 right now.

Lekkerimaki's strength and skating are still my concern goal scorer's gonna score goals though. 

If you would take a lil constructive critique Geekie and Wright are your only truly prototypical projectable C's and IMO Geekie aint great in the dot and doesn't bring the physicality associated with his size I could actually see him flourishing on the wing. It's for these reasons I have Gaucher and Beck up on my list inside my top 15 for those teams looking to add a bonafide C at the draft along with their respective skillsets. Cooley is probably a C but in the same way that Pete is a C he'll need help with aspects of his game to thrive at the position. Savoie at 9 I can understand it may not translate he doesn't have that elite speed you look for in a player of his stature one thing I give him full credit for though is he takes his ice he get's inside and is lethal in close. 

Edited by hammertime

5 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Are we too far away to predict a top 10? 

Last year it it was fairly obvious it was going to be either Guenther or one defenceman available to us at 9th. 

Im thinking we are either going to finish with the 10th or 11th pick barring a lotto miracle. 

Is the top 10 less predictable this year? 

No we are not.

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Interesting 

Lambert has fallen for you. I feel like I was initially harsh due to a weak u18's followed up by a less than spectacular season in Liiga. Speed still kills though. I think I'm sticking around 8/9 on him.  

Casey movin back up over Nelson. Nelson is movin up my list after watching more of him his strength has put my size concerns a bit to rest. 

Cooley moving down for you. *I agree with this placement seems right great player lot's of risk. 6OA seems perfect. 

I dig Trikozov maybe a bit high but he shows you rare talent's I can get behind him at 13.

I'm not a big Gauthier fan. 17 seems like a good spot I'd put Nyman ahead of him. 

Kemell I understand he was due to cool off and I think he was concussed at the WJC after returning from injury. Given his penchant for going 1 on 2, 1 on 3, 1 on the whole team I could see him going as low as you have him but his shot is elite and he's underrated as a playmaker. He sits just outside my top 5 right now.

Lekkerimaki's strength and skating are still my concern goal scorer's gonna score goals though. 

If you would take a lil constructive critique Geekie and Wright are your only truly prototypical projectable C's and IMO Geekie aint great in the dot and doesn't bring the physicality associated with his size I could actually see him flourishing on the wing. It's for these reasons I have Gaucher and Beck up on my list inside my top 15 for those teams looking to add a bonafide C at the draft along with their respective skillsets. Cooley is probably a C but in the same way that Pete is a C he'll need help with aspects of his game to thrive at the position. Savoie at 9 I can understand it may not translate he doesn't have that elite speed you look for in a player of his stature one thing I give him full credit for though is he takes his ice he get's inside and is lethal in close. 

Lambert has turned it around a bit in my eyes and is a good get if he ends up with us. Few red flags though

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

1. Shane Wright

2. Ivan Miroshnichenko

3. Juraj Slafkovsky

4. Danila Yurov

5. Simon Nemec

6. Logan Cooley

7. David Jiricek

8. Frank Nazar

9. Matthew Savoie

10. Conor Geekie

11. Jonathan Lekkerimaki

12. Joakim Kemell

13. Gleb Trikozov

14. Brad Lambert

15. Seamus Casey

16. Kevin Korchinsky

17. Cutter Gauthier

18. Liam Ohgren

19. Denton Mateychuk

20. Pavel Mintyukov

Interesting list.  I have cooley and savoie in my top 4.  Yurov and miro are good players but not top four.

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Interesting 

I love how you're actually keeping track of the movement in my list. Thank goodness; someone needs to keep me accountable. You'll have to forgive me all the shuffling; there are quite a few players I still have very limited viewings on, so one new viewing can make a big difference.

I don't entirely agree with your critique. It reminds me of the lack of defenseman at the top of the 2020 draft. There was Drysdale and Sanderson, and then a major gap. Was a lot of speculation that one of the next tier of Ds would go a lot earlier than they should. Was a lot of speculation that Kaiden Guhle might go in the 12-14 range. But teams picked the best player available, and Kaiden Guhle was the next D picked, at 16th, right about where he belonged. Big C and D are important positions and every team is looking for them, yeah, but within reason. Teams aren't going to reach beyond a reasonable amount because of position. If you actually think they're that good is one thing, but personally I'd have Gaucher early to mid 20s, and Beck probably late 1st round. Marco Kasper would probably be the next ranked true center for me, and I seriously considered him for my top 20. Jack Hughes, Rutger McGroarty, and Luca Del Bel Bulluz would be other options. In my limited viewings of Belluz, I definitely think he has top 15 potential. Gonna be keeping an eye on him.

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

I love how you're actually keeping track of the movement in my list. Thank goodness; someone needs to keep me accountable. You'll have to forgive me all the shuffling; there are quite a few players I still have very limited viewings on, so one new viewing can make a big difference.

I don't entirely agree with your critique. It reminds me of the lack of defenseman at the top of the 2020 draft. There was Drysdale and Sanderson, and then a major gap. Was a lot of speculation that one of the next tier of Ds would go a lot earlier than they should. Was a lot of speculation that Kaiden Guhle might go in the 12-14 range. But teams picked the best player available, and Kaiden Guhle was the next D picked, at 16th, right about where he belonged. Big C and D are important positions and every team is looking for them, yeah, but within reason. Teams aren't going to reach beyond a reasonable amount because of position. If you actually think they're that good is one thing, but personally I'd have Gaucher early to mid 20s, and Beck probably late 1st round. Marco Kasper would probably be the next ranked true center for me, and I seriously considered him for my top 20. Jack Hughes, Rutger McGroarty, and Luca Del Bel Bulluz would be other options. In my limited viewings of Belluz, I definitely think he has top 15 potential. Gonna be keeping an eye on him.

Thanks bud. Ya I guess I keep track. I respect your opinion you're actually paying attention I would wager you're keeping a closer eye than Button. I don't get as much time as I'd like so I binge games that involve players that interest me when I get a chance. 

Beluz is a good one to watch you get the double feature with Beck on the steelheads. The 2 of them are very talented. I prefer Beck IMO he's got the better overall game Beluz has arguably more skill. Will be interesting which one of them goes on to be more successful.

Fair point on not reaching for position. Same time though you still gotta build a team since absolutely no one is gonna trade you a young Pwf, rhd, or 2 way C for any amount of Brock Boeser, Nils Hoglander, Connor Garland. There's really only one reasonable way to get em. Skilled wingers are easily acquired to fill out a roster.

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

Thanks bud. Ya I guess I keep track. I respect your opinion you're actually paying attention I would wager you're keeping a closer eye than Button. I don't get as much time as I'd like so I binge games that involve players that interest me when I get a chance. 

Beluz is a good one to watch you get the double feature with Beck on the steelheads. The 2 of them are very talented. I prefer Beck IMO he's got the better overall game Beluz has arguably more skill. Will be interesting which one of them goes on to be more successful.

Fair point on not reaching for position. Same time though you still gotta build a team since absolutely no one is gonna trade you a young Pwf, rhd, or 2 way C for any amount of Brock Boeser, Nils Hoglander, Connor Garland. There's really only one reasonable way to get em. Skilled wingers are easily acquired to fill out a roster.

I don't think you reach for position, but I think you can trade up and draft without reaching...............

For instance............Boeser is great, but you can get someone close to his skill level in the UFA market

where does Boeser and our 1st get us? IMO, it get's you Ottawa's (6) pick for sure, and most likely New Jersey's (4), now there is no doubt that is a big cost, but IMO, it is what you have to pay for a Nemec or Jiricek...........

7 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I don't think you reach for position, but I think you can trade up and draft without reaching...............

For instance............Boeser is great, but you can get someone close to his skill level in the UFA market

where does Boeser and our 1st get us? IMO, it get's you Ottawa's (6) pick for sure, and most likely New Jersey's (4), now there is no doubt that is a big cost, but IMO, it is what you have to pay for a Nemec or Jiricek...........

This seems insane to me. I'm not sure if you're under-valuing Boeser or over-valuing the draft picks here, but the only time draft picks should be valued so highly is if there's a bluechip superstar on the clock. Boeser for 4th or 6th overall would be fine; no need for Vancouver to include their own first. He's having one down year, and now suddenly he is scum on the bottom of your shoe?

And trust me, I say this as a Sens fan (Canucks are my 2nd favorite team), we would trade our 1st for Boeser in a heartbeat.

On 2/21/2022 at 9:01 AM, HighOnHockey said:

1. Shane Wright

2. Ivan Miroshnichenko

3. Juraj Slafkovsky

4. Danila Yurov

5. Simon Nemec

6. Logan Cooley

7. David Jiricek

8. Frank Nazar

9. Matthew Savoie

10. Conor Geekie

11. Jonathan Lekkerimaki

12. Joakim Kemell

13. Gleb Trikozov

14. Brad Lambert

15. Seamus Casey

16. Kevin Korchinsky

17. Cutter Gauthier

18. Liam Ohgren

19. Denton Mateychuk

20. Pavel Mintyukov

I keep watching nazar and am still not seeing how he should be ranked above savoie.  Could you elaborate why?