The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

11 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

This seems insane to me. I'm not sure if you're under-valuing Boeser or over-valuing the draft picks here, but the only time draft picks should be valued so highly is if there's a bluechip superstar on the clock. Boeser for 4th or 6th overall would be fine; no need for Vancouver to include their own first. He's having one down year, and now suddenly he is scum on the bottom of your shoe?

And trust me, I say this as a Sens fan (Canucks are my 2nd favorite team), we would trade our 1st for Boeser in a heartbeat.

I dunno man if you're trading 6/7 OA for Brock I'd do it depending on who's there. If 1 of Nemec/Jiricek Slafko Cooley are there. I take the 6m saved on Brock and extend Miller and Bo and go shopping for a winger with some grit or a shut down 3c. Pete Bo Miller even Pearson can fire the biscuit. Brocks been mostly picking up the trash these days anyway I feel like there are cheeper options for that. 

10 hours ago, Isam said:

I keep watching nazar and am still not seeing how he should be ranked above savoie.  Could you elaborate why? 

I could try, I guess. I've been having this debate internally for over a year now. To start with, I found this quote of mine from October 2020, "Savoie and Nazar is very close. Savoie has better moves one-on-one. Both are phenomenal skaters; Savoie is more explosive, and Nazar is smoother. Looks like Nazar is the better 200 foot player."

It is pretty much a coin flip for me, and I believe this is the first time I've had Nazar ahead. There's a lot of factors, but it mostly all boils down to I believe Nazar has a better hockey mind.

Savoie is obviously incredibly talented, but at 5'9, you have to be practically a perfect hockey player to be a surefire NHL star. Savoie is far from that. He has always struggled with inconsistency, and he too often tries to do too much with the puck. He's not bad at all defensively, but Nazar is on a different level; as I've said a number of times, I believe Nazar is one of the best - maybe the best - defensive forwards in the draft.

I suppose I should clarify what I mean by "defensive forward" in Nazar's case. I do not mean primarily defensive zone play, and maybe I'd be better off to say "200 foot forward", although the two terms seem generally interchangeable. Nazar understands better than any forward in this draft how to use deception on the defensive side of the puck. I've made the comparison to Raymond in this regard - of course Raymond was the master and I'm not sure I've ever seen a 17 year old do it like he did, at least until Connor Bedard came along. Draisaitl also comes to mind, who I saw a lot of when he was with P.A. and I was living in Saskatoon at the time. Anyway, for Nazar it has partly to do with his utilization of the 10-2 skating style that allows him to make sudden rapid changes of direction, but it has everything to do with his hockey IQ on the forecheck that allows him to trick opponents into making bad decisions with the puck. Oh and finally, as with Raymond, he's extremely tenacious after the puck; of course deceptiveness comes first - just flying full force at the puck-carrier head on isn't always the best play, but once they've made the decision to go in, they go fast and furious.

Offensively, Savoie is certainly better with the puck attacking one on one. His skating is more explosive and he has quicker hands and better lower body strength that allows him to stay on balance after getting bumped. It is an absolute treat to watch Savoie attacking the middle of the ice, but he's so good at it he can get a little over-confident, and uses it to create an inordinate amount of his offense at the junior level, which a.) isn't going to work out nearly as often at the NHL level for any player, and b.) regardless how good his lower body strength and balance are, those bumps he takes unfazed through traffic at the junior level, will be a whole different story against 215+ lb defensemen at the NHL level. Nazar is a bit more of a perimeter player by comparison. Like Savoie or any elite skilled forward this age, he can tend to try to attack the inside when it's probably not the best idea, but Nazar is smarter about picking his spots. Although it's sort of a difficult comparison to make, because of course Nazar doesn't attack the inside as often as Savoie because he's not as good at it. Not as much of a north-south player as Savoie, Nazar is more about finding open space and using quick cuts to beat defenders to the inside, but he's not shy about getting to the net either.

I also believe Nazar to be a somewhat more creative playmaker, although Savoie is no slouch in that regard. Savoie is probably the better shooter, but Nazar's shot is pretty lethal too; he has a sick backhander in particular. Like I said, it's splitting hairs for me, and it could easily change by the time I do my next ranking, but lately Nazar has been trending up (2 points in his first 9 games against NCAA DI opponents this season, followed by 4 in his last 4), while inconsistency continues to be an issue for Savoie (just 8 points in his last 10 after a 1.58 p/g pace on the season prior to that).

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I could try, I guess. I've been having this debate internally for over a year now. To start with, I found this quote of mine from October 2020, "Savoie and Nazar is very close. Savoie has better moves one-on-one. Both are phenomenal skaters; Savoie is more explosive, and Nazar is smoother. Looks like Nazar is the better 200 foot player."

It is pretty much a coin flip for me, and I believe this is the first time I've had Nazar ahead. There's a lot of factors, but it mostly all boils down to I believe Nazar has a better hockey mind.

Savoie is obviously incredibly talented, but at 5'9, you have to be practically a perfect hockey player to be a surefire NHL star. Savoie is far from that. He has always struggled with inconsistency, and he too often tries to do too much with the puck. He's not bad at all defensively, but Nazar is on a different level; as I've said a number of times, I believe Nazar is one of the best - maybe the best - defensive forwards in the draft.

I suppose I should clarify what I mean by "defensive forward" in Nazar's case. I do not mean primarily defensive zone play, and maybe I'd be better off to say "200 foot forward", although the two terms seem generally interchangeable. Nazar understands better than any forward in this draft how to use deception on the defensive side of the puck. I've made the comparison to Raymond in this regard - of course Raymond was the master and I'm not sure I've ever seen a 17 year old do it like he did, at least until Connor Bedard came along. Draisaitl also comes to mind, who I saw a lot of when he was with P.A. and I was living in Saskatoon at the time. Anyway, for Nazar it has partly to do with his utilization of the 10-2 skating style that allows him to make sudden rapid changes of direction, but it has everything to do with his hockey IQ on the forecheck that allows him to trick opponents into making bad decisions with the puck. Oh and finally, as with Raymond, he's extremely tenacious after the puck; of course deceptiveness comes first - just flying full force at the puck-carrier head on isn't always the best play, but once they've made the decision to go in, they go fast and furious.

Offensively, Savoie is certainly better with the puck attacking one on one. His skating is more explosive and he has quicker hands and better lower body strength that allows him to stay on balance after getting bumped. It is an absolute treat to watch Savoie attacking the middle of the ice, but he's so good at it he can get a little over-confident, and uses it to create an inordinate amount of his offense at the junior level, which a.) isn't going to work out nearly as often at the NHL level for any player, and b.) regardless how good his lower body strength and balance are, those bumps he takes unfazed through traffic at the junior level, will be a whole different story against 215+ lb defensemen at the NHL level. Nazar is a bit more of a perimeter player by comparison. Like Savoie or any elite skilled forward this age, he can tend to try to attack the inside when it's probably not the best idea, but Nazar is smarter about picking his spots. Although it's sort of a difficult comparison to make, because of course Nazar doesn't attack the inside as often as Savoie because he's not as good at it. Not as much of a north-south player as Savoie, Nazar is more about finding open space and using quick cuts to beat defenders to the inside, but he's not shy about getting to the net either.

I also believe Nazar to be a somewhat more creative playmaker, although Savoie is no slouch in that regard. Savoie is probably the better shooter, but Nazar's shot is pretty lethal too; he has a sick backhander in particular. Like I said, it's splitting hairs for me, and it could easily change by the time I do my next ranking, but lately Nazar has been trending up (2 points in his first 9 games against NCAA DI opponents this season, followed by 4 in his last 4), while inconsistency continues to be an issue for Savoie (just 8 points in his last 10 after a 1.58 p/g pace on the season prior to that).

With reading some of ur opinions on players, I am even more convinced that we should tank :emot-parrot:[aka pray canucks lose games]

11 hours ago, hammertime said:

I dunno man if you're trading 6/7 OA for Brock I'd do it depending on who's there. If 1 of Nemec/Jiricek Slafko Cooley are there. I take the 6m saved on Brock and extend Miller and Bo and go shopping for a winger with some grit or a shut down 3c. Pete Bo Miller even Pearson can fire the biscuit. Brocks been mostly picking up the trash these days anyway I feel like there are cheeper options for that. 

If it's Boeser straight across for the pick, sure I guess you'd have to consider it. But a bird in the hand is still better than one in the bush, and ultimately I don't think the Canucks would or should do it. But Boeser and the Canuck's pick to move up 5-10 spots? The GM would be fired on the spot and would be blacklisted from ever having another job with an NHL team, not even working at a concession stand.

9 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Overall,  pretty good, but the last little bit of savoies last ten games was not about consistency. Teams have been keying in on him personally cuz he is so dangerous. But he has been fighting through quite and looks he like he is developing a bit of an edge ala marchand which might make him scarier.

I think you also need to focus in shot placement and different angles in your play making scouting. This was alot of with alot of peoples scouting reports on mctavish.  When watching savoie, you can see him do this alot, especially when the goal or pass isnt there. Another guy who does this well is howard. Another guy who this board undervaues is howard. 

Overall, a good analysis High

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

If it's Boeser straight across for the pick, sure I guess you'd have to consider it. But a bird in the hand is still better than one in the bush, and ultimately I don't think the Canucks would or should do it. But Boeser and the Canuck's pick to move up 5-10 spots? The GM would be fired on the spot and would be blacklisted from ever having another job with an NHL team, not even working at a concession stand.

100% I wouldn't add our 1st for it.

1 hour ago, Isam said:

Keep an eye out on maveric lamoureux. He is a work in progress, but man, he can fly for a 6 foot 8 dude, plus has good hockey iq.

I'm always a bit weary of someone with size in juniors. Because it comes down whether that player is still developing or just relying on his size. I haven't seen him play though, but just looking at the numbers, his PIMs aren't too high so maybe doesn't have that mean streak? Seems comparable to Tyler Myers?

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm always a bit weary of someone with size in juniors. Because it comes down whether that player is still developing or just relying on his size. I haven't seen him play though, but just looking at the numbers, his PIMs aren't too high so maybe doesn't have that mean streak? Seems comparable to Tyler Myers?

He can use his size if he has. Big thing for me is how he closes the gap and how fast his stick is while checking. Him and myers are to vastly different players at that age. Myers game was more complete,but hewas nowhere near the skater this kid is.he reminds me alot of weber. 

• Cheers 2

What could the Canucks get for Motte?  I've heard he's in high demand for some teams.

I think it's possible there won't be any big trades at the TDL and that they'll want to assess over the off season. Motte is a UFA, so I think he could be one of the few leaving.

Can they get a 1st (#28) from NYR?  or maybe for Kravtsov or Lysell?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What could the Canucks get for Motte?  I've heard he's in high demand for some teams.

I think it's possible there won't be any big trades at the TDL and that they'll want to assess over the off season. Motte is a UFA, so I think he could be one of the few leaving.

Can they get a 1st (#28) from NYR?  or maybe for Kravtsov or Lysell?  

Rather have the late first than Crapsov or Lysoft.  

9 hours ago, Isam said:

Keep an eye out on maveric lamoureux. He is a work in progress, but man, he can fly for a 6 foot 8 dude, plus has good hockey iq.

he's good man been tooting that horn for a while now. He looks like a player. I regret JB passing on Hague for Lind and I had hoped maybe JB was having smart food but in the end Hague was the dude to take there. take with a grain of salt Klimovich may be a home run I wanted Heimosalmi. Klim looks good. How prospects devolope isn't linear Lind crushed it in his d+1

21 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I like Nazar by the sounds of it and if I were to compare him to a Alex Tuch is that far off? I’ve been saying for a while now we need a Tuch type player on this team and would love to have him here in Van. 

1 hour ago, KyGuy123 said:

I like Nazar by the sounds of it and if I were to compare him to a Alex Tuch is that far off? I’ve been saying for a while now we need a Tuch type player on this team and would love to have him here in Van. 

Alex Tuch would not be a guy I would think of when comparing Nazar. Tuch is what, 6'4? Nazar is 5'10 and a half. The guy who comes first to mind to me is Lucas Raymond, just as another player I scouted in depth in his draft year recently. Really they're not all that similar though. As far as established NHL veterans, the closest thing I can think of would be Jaden Schwartz. Mix in a little Patrick Kane and Jeff Skinner.

On 2/21/2022 at 2:00 PM, Isam said:

Interesting list.  I have cooley and savoie in my top 4.  Yurov and miro are good players but not top four.

Yurov I believe may be the most pro-translatable forward in the draft, along with Wright and Cooley. 6'1 and only 175 lbs but kid dominated the boards as a 17 year old in MHL last year. Elite hockey IQ. Excellent but not elite stick skills, playmaking, passing and shooting. Very good skater too. Offensively he's at his best protecting the puck driving down the wing, or making plays out of the corners, where he knows how to operate in tight spaces. Reminds me a lot of Tarasenko; not as good a goal-scorer but could be a better all-round player.

Miro is the ultimate package of raw tools. His neck is as thick as a telephone pole. Just an absolute beast of a physical specimen. Elite skating and shooting power. Excellent but not elite stick skills and skating agility. Some of the best passing vision I've seen from any prospect in years. There are some question marks about his hockey IQ, but I believe these to be absurdly blown out of proportion. Sort of reminds me of the likes of Peter Bondra and Marian Gaborik, as well as Erik Cole and Evander Kane. More physical than than former two and more skilled than the latter two. But the way they just fly down the wing with defenders hanging off them. Much better playmaker than any of those guys though. I'll post a few of my favorite clips from both Yurov and Miro in a bit here.