The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

39 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think Nemec could play in a year or 2 he plays a well rounded game in a top mens league.

Jiricek is a bit more of a project with really great tools. 

You could be right.

He probably has the best chance of being  the D-man in this draft to play in the NHL.

7 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

You could be right.

He probably has the best chance of being  the D-man in this draft to play in the NHL.

Lian Bichsel I'd probably let cook in the SHL next year and then bring to Abby and develop him correctly. However he's prob better than many #6/7 guys out there right now. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Ohgren sounds like a potential linemate for Pettersson in a few years, I know we have Podkolzin who might fit the bill sooner but nothing wrong have 2 wingers with some size to play with Petey.

Bischel is an intriguing player too, only downsize is he is a lefty but would be hitting his stride in around the end of OEL's contract.

Hope the Canucks can add at least a 2nd round pick in this draft, only a few more sleeps till we find out what GM Alvin can do!?

I tend to think there is a lot of extra attention spent on the USNDT players (this year it's Gauthier, Cooley, Nazar, McGroarty, Snuggerud, Chesley), but this stacked team lost to Lekkerimaki and the Swedes.

Lekkerimaki

Ohgren

Ostlund

Odelius

Salomonsson

I know Lekkerimaki will go in the Top 10, but the others are also really good players, from what I've seen. 

I'd be very happy with either Kasper or Kulich as well

This year especially, I don't really want VAN to draft a Russian with the #15

Unsure about taking a LD with the #15, with the forwards that could be available. I'm hoping JR can get another 1st.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lot of people want Bichsel, because he's big. How would those people feel about PA drafting Pickering?  He's big too.

Youre really over simplifying. 

Thats like saying a lot of people like Pavel Bure because he's speedy. What about Mason Raymond he's speedy too!

• Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Ohgren sounds like a potential linemate for Pettersson in a few years, I know we have Podkolzin who might fit the bill sooner but nothing wrong have 2 wingers with some size to play with Petey.

Bischel is an intriguing player too, only downsize is he is a lefty but would be hitting his stride in around the end of OEL's contract.

Hope the Canucks can add at least a 2nd round pick in this draft, only a few more sleeps till we find out what GM Alvin can do!?

Bichsel is a leftie he does play predominantly right side though. Which side he shoots won't really be much of a factor in the thought process for the team that drafts him. Right shot would be a bonus. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Like Button, my list is based on who I think will be the best and not where I think they'll be taken in the draft. Without taking the "Russian" factor into consideration:

1    Shane Wright
2    Logan Cooley
3    Juraj Slafkovsky
4    Simon Nemec
5    David Jiricek
6    Joakim Kemell
7    Matt Savoie
8    Jonathan Lekkerimaki
9    Cutter Gauthier
10    Frank Nazar
11    Pavel Mintyukov
12    Danila Yurov
13    Kevin Korchinski
14    Brad Lambert
15    Denton Mateychuk
16    Liam Ohgren
17    Marco Kasper
18    Noah Ostlund
19    Conor Geekie
20    Jiri Kulich
21    Ivan Miroshnichenko
22    Jagger Firkus
23    Rutger McGroarty
24    Isaac Howard
25    Filip Mesar
26    Owen Pickering
27    Jimmy Snuggerud
28    Calle Odelius
29    Owen Beck
30    Mattias Havelid
31    Lane Hutson
32    Gleb Trikozov

I'd be really excited for any of the following for the Canucks. I'd be happy with anyone between 11 and 18 for the Canucks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Youre really over simplifying. 

Thats like saying a lot of people like Pavel Bure because he's speedy. What about Mason Raymond he's speedy too!

Fair enough, but apparently there is also interest in Pickering.  Bichsel is over 30 pounds heavier than 6'4" Pickering. Holy smokes.  

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lot of people want Bichsel, because he's big. How would those people feel about PA drafting Pickering?  He's big too.

He's not as physically dominating as Bichsel and is more raw thus needs a lot more development. More of a boom or bust player.  

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

LMAO. Just read this scouting report on Lian Bichsel and thought instantly that I was reading a scouting report on Chris Pronger. Lian Bichsel is a BEAST one of the most physical threats on the ice. From my perspective Bichsel is intimidating opponents like Zdeno Chara and Chris Pronger during their primes. :mellow: Bichsel's nickname is ALPHA DOG !! LMAO

"If we compare to other robust defenders of recent years, Bichsel is the one who displays (by far) the greatest consistency in this regard. I saw him throw players on the ice 8 (!) times in an SHL game. While it’s not always play-of-the-week center-ice hits, Bichsel literally looks like he’s toying with his opponents. One aspect of the tall Swiss’s overall game that has been improved this season is his propensity to jump into play and his ability to distribute shoulder-check was no exception: he is regularly seen hitting a winger in the offensive zone while the latter is waiting to tip the puck out of his own zone. It’s the same observation in the neutral zone where he will hit the players who are just waiting to dump the puck into opposing territory before retreating to the bench for a change. Even if it will not be a big check, he wants to be very insistent and his opponents must constantly play with their heads held high and be wary when he is on the ice, in a series 4 of 7, it becomes very exhausting. He shows a very good intelligence with his selections of hits, where he’ll never gets caught against the current and also, he shows maturity where he is not necessarily looking for the big checks but he also distributes ‘good’ checks to simply separate the puck carrier from the puck. Perhaps the most desirable thing about the defenseman’s physical game is the mentality with which he approaches every on-ice appearance. It is often said of scrappy little players that “It is not about the size of the dog in the fight but rather about the size of the fight in the dog that counts”. Now apply this phrase to a 6’5, 214 lbs giant. Bichsel wants to be the one ruling on the ice. It was fascinating to watch Leksand’s games against Frolunda as the Swiss spent his shifts chasing Elmer Soderblom, a 6’7 Detroit Red Wings prospect. Despite being at a height and age disadvantage, Bichsel wanted to prove to everyone that HE was the biggest on the ice. He’s an ‘Alpha-Dog’ and a player you definitely want to go to war with. He could definitely turn out to be one of the most feared defenders of his generation."

Yeah sign me up. I think his game will translate beautifully to the NHL. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I like this kid a lot.

Same. One of a few players I have ranked way higher than their consensus rankings.

One thing that's interesting to me is in scouting reports on Liam Ohgren there are often mentions of him being a power forward. From what I've seen he shows flashes, but I'd like to see him use his size and strength a lot more. Similar to what I've said about Miro, he certainly has all the tools to be a power forward, but needs to learn to take advantage of those elements on a consistent basis. These guys are skilled enough that they've been able to dominate at the junior level mainly on skill, and their size and strength is more just an added bonus at that level. But for Ohgren to be the player he could be at higher levels, his power needs to be the centerpiece of his game. In my opinion this was why he struggled in his limited appearances in SHL. It's a lot harder work and more physically taxing, taking the bumping and grinding of a power forward style on a nightly basis, so for both Ohgren and Miro it's just going to be a learning process that this is what is needed for them to go from being elite kids playing a game for fun, to being elite professional athletes playing for millions of dollars.

hammertime - Thanks for the great info on Bichsel, watched some of the video and what really stands out to me is how well he skates for a big player, he handles the puck pretty well and defends well. If the Canucks had an extra 1st, I'd be okay taking Bichsel with one of them.

• Cheers 4