The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021-22 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

Abbotsford has two players that are both in the top 5 across the AHL for goals scored. Sheldon Dries has the 2nd most goals with 35, and Sheldon Rempal is in 5th with 28 goals.

Speaking of the Sheldons, Rempal and Dries have contributed on 8 out of 15 goals for Abbotsford’s during this homestand so far (6 goals and 2 assists).

• Upvote 2

On 4/4/2022 at 9:50 AM, Guile said:

For those who watch Abby closely, what's the best healthy lineup they could ice come playoff time? Compared to last night's lineup below, who lines up where if they get all injured / called up guys back, including Podz, Petan, Di Giuseppe, Juulsen, Dowling, Bailey? I'm not up on the latest injury reports so if a guy is slated to be out for the season and not available in the playoffs, leave him out.

image.thumb.png.aa4a8129762f3dde6dfe8d5e8a081c55.png

That defence looks really strong to my eye but I feel like they're missing a lot of potential top six or middle six forwards.

Di Giuseppe-Dries-Rempal

Podkolzin-Petan-Bailey/Dowling

Lukosevicious-Stevens-Lockwood

Arseneau-Wouters-Nielsen/Klimovich

Sautner-Bowey

Rathbone-Juulsen

Brisebois-Woo/Stephens

Martin/DiPietro

Analysis

1st line: For majority of the season, Cull relied on PDG-Dries-Rempal as their top scoring trio. Mixture of speed, skill, and bite from the trio. If Di Giuseppe is healthy and Vancouver gets healthy (Dries could come down after being called emergency recall basis) that is the de facto first line he would likely go back to. They have been steady and consistent together all season long.

2nd line: Addition of Podkolzin will bring some balance to the top six as a lot of players like Lukosevicious and Lockwood have bounced in and out and no one has really been able to seize that role. Petan would likely be there too. The wildcard spot would be what happens with Justin Bailey and Justin Dowling. Both have been out for significant amount of time. And as @Kootenay Goldsuggested there is still a 5 man veteran rule applied to AHL teams. PDG, Sautner, Bailey, Dowling, Bowey, Petan, meet those requirements so one will sit. However, neither Bailey or Dowling have had updates on injuries other than Dhaliwal said both would miss significant time. So if could be that neither are ready. 

3rd line: Stevens has been a stabilizing rock all year long. He is your default 3rd line C. Likely serves as your shut down line and maybe even factors in Wouters instead of Lukosevicious. Lockwood and Stevens are your defensive conscience on the team.

4th line: Arseneau the designated goon/enforcer brings a lot of energy. Sort of liek Ryan Reaves does. He is needed for grit and toughness. Than its a toss up between Nielsen, Klimovich, Hirano, Cutler, and Alfaro. This line likely shifts a lot throughout the playoffs to get energy and utility. 

Blueline is pretty self-explanatory. Might be a battle between Woo and Stephens as number 6 d.

Of course this is all in the air with health and such.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Than its a toss up between Nielsen, Klimovich, Hirano, Cutler, and Alfaro.

Abbotsford, BC -- Abbotsford Canucks General Manager, Ryan Johnson, announced today that Canucks forward, Yushiroh Hirano, has been selected to represent Japan at the 2022 IIHF Division 1 Group B World Championships in Tychy, Poland.

Hirano, who was signed to a professional try out agreement on January 5, will be released from his contract with Abbotsford on April 11 so he can join the Japan Ice Hockey Federation’s training camp ahead of the tournament.

“While Yushiroh has been a big part of our team this season, it was an obvious decision for our organization to allow him to leave Abbotsford and take advantage of this terrific opportunity”, stated Abbotsford GM Ryan Johnson. “Yushiroh has set a great example as a player and as a teammate, while showing professionalism and dedication off of the ice as well. He has been an exceptional role model for our young fans in the Japanese community, and I know that is something he is very proud of. We will certainly be cheering him on.”

Since joining Abbotsford, Hirano has skated in 28 games for the club, recording nine points (five goals, four assists) and registering 14 penalty minutes. He scored his first career AHL goal on January 22 against San Diego’s Francis Marotte in the Canucks’ 5-3 home victory over the Gulls. The goal was scored at the 10-second mark of the first period, and remains the fastest goal to start a game in franchise history. Hirano also recorded the first multi-point game of his AHL career when he recorded a goal and an assist in Abbotsford’s 5-4 overtime victory over Colorado on March 13.

“I would like to thank the Canucks organization for allowing me to go to the World Championships”, said Hirano, “I will do my best in this tournament to show what I have learned playing in Abbotsford at this level. Thank you to my teammates, the staff, and the fans in Abbotsford for welcoming me here. My goal is to help make hockey a bigger sport in Japan, and the organization is helping me to do that.”

Hirano will remain on Abbotsford’s roster for the team’s upcoming home games against San Diego on Friday, April 8 and Saturday, April 9 before leaving the team on April 12.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Playoff hockey is gonna be fun to watch this year. I don’t care if it’s not the NHL. Trent Cull has the baby nucks dialed in. They are thrashing the Gulls right now and have been playing very very good hockey down the stretch. Podz is gonna be so fun to watch as well. I hope anyone who doesn’t watch the AHL live app at least goes online and pays for a playoffs package to watch our baby nucks play this year and support the team. Sure the camera views are not the best, but the product on the ice is still great to watch! Pumped! I want a Calder cup!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am really hoping that that  Abby GM Ryan Johnson re-signs Yushiroh Hirano to a contract for next season. IMO; the kid is deserving.

Agreed, he was very shaky defensively at the start but his learning curve has been very steep since he arrived, heck he even can lay the body well. He has made a few good hits that surprised me. His shot is definitely something other teams need to watch out for, he can rip it. I hope the Canucks have seen enough to offer him an AHL contract next year. And would love to see him get a cup of coffee in the nhl if he deserves it. He was tearing up the ECHL this season so he has nothing left to prove down there.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Muttley said:

Little investigative research:

Alex Kannok Leipert was drafted by the Caps with the Canucks 2018 6th round pick (no. 161) that was sent to them for Caps 2018 6th round pick (no. 186) and 2019 6th round pick (no. 180).

So, if AKL ends up lasting past this season for the Johnny Canucks, it's conceivable the Canucks will end up with three players for the price of one  in the organization (if Artryom Manyukan, the Russian munchkin and Jack Malone are ever signed to an AHL/NHL contract).

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Little investigative research:

Alex Kannok Leipert was drafted by the Caps with the Canucks 2018 6th round pick (no. 161) that was sent to them for Caps 2018 6th round pick (no. 186) and 2019 6th round pick (no. 180).

So, if AKL ends up lasting past this season for the Johnny Canucks, it's conceivable the Canucks will end up with three players for the price of one  in the organization (if Artryom Manyukan, the Russian munchkin and Jack Malone are ever signed to an AHL/NHL contract).

I'm afraid Manyukan's career in Russia has taken a turn for the worst.  Have you seen this video of him?  It's been making the rounds on social media!:

ᐉ Koksal Baba attacking man with a broom - CrazyGif.com

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Abbotsford’s depth has really shone in this 4-game winning streak. 10 goals have been scored by players’ with 5 goals or fewer during this stretch (Brandon Cutler, Carson Focht x2, Matt Alfaro x2, Brannon McManus x2, Chase Wouters, Alex Kannok Leipert, Ashton Sautner).

I think that having a lot of talented and seasoned AHL veterans on the team has helped a lot of the newbies find their footing in the AHL and that is now really starting to show in their development and confidence on and off the ice.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Cheers 1