The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Official) - It's Back, the Magic Number Chart - 2021-2022 NHL Season

Rate this topic

cleowin

Magic # Chart updated for December 11th, 2021 @ Evening time

Canucks now control playoff fate over Chicago. I have also added a new 'Games back' column to the graph which shows many games back they are of being equal to another team.

For example, Vancouver is 9 games back of Minnesota. In order for Vancouver to tie them, Minnesota has to lose 9 games (18 pts) to catch up. This may serve as a useful tool to see how far back they are from catching teams. The Canucks next opponent to catch would be the San Jose Sharks. The Sharks must lose 4 games or lose 8 pts for Vancouver to be back in control of that team. Each Vancouver loss will add 1 game to all opposition. Each vancouver OTL/SOL will add 0.5 games.

• Thanks 2

On 12/12/2021 at 3:15 AM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I don't blame you.  It can get quite depressing if you keep mapping something where the outcome is trending towards oblivion early on in the season, but late enough into the season to know chances of recovery aren't great.

I'm curious to see where the Benning/Green regime would have been projected to end up based on how they were trending prior to their firings, vs. how "Bruce, there it is!" would project to end the season based on mid-season trending (vs. final stats after the season's done).  Might be too much of an ask though, so I'll just throw it out there as a musing and unless you're as curious as I am, don't bother trying to find out.  ;)

God forbid had it been a comet hitting the Earth…

Edited by Me_

Magic # chart has been updated for January 22nd, 2022.

Based on point pace projections, the Montreal Canadiens are eliminated from post-season contention.

Based on point pace projections, the Vancouver Canucks are eliminated from conference and president's trophy contention.

While mathematically, it's still possible, it's statistically close to 0 that this can occur for either team.