The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Detroit Red Wings | Oct. 16, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

OK found it.  Like how much room does a goaltender get to claim in front of the net?  The blue paint, sure....but he's outside of that.  

image.png

image.png

image.png

Its not so much about the crease as the fact he hit him in the head, you can have goalie interference anywhere on the ice.

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

careful, some wall st guy might come along and accuse you of being a homer :lol:

But I AM a homer.

I don't invest too much energy at being upset after the fact anymore and have really adopted "it is what it is".  Greiss stood on his head and we could have easily won that game....but didn't.  Lots of shots, good energy but have to find a way to get it PAST the goaltender.  Those toe saves though....

• Cheers 3

Just now, JM_ said:

careful, some wall st guy might come along and accuse you of being a homer :lol:

I've given up on consistency a long time ago. We just need to be better than the refs to go the distance.

I'm pretty pleased with the new look team. 1-1-1 to start the road on three fricking home openers is just fine given how well the team is moving the puck. I can't remember the last time we looked so mobile coming out of our own zone, both with quick little passes or guys like Hughes that just carry it out. Seems like we're back to having more than one option in our zone.

We haven't quite put it together on the F scoring but that will come.

What people seem to forget is that officials are not AI, tyey are individual people with individual perspectives.  Of course there's no consistency, with that many different people how could there be?  I like that different refs call different games, it adds another layer of complexity to an already complex sport.  It'd be pretty damn boring if every game were called exactly the same

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

OK found it.  Like how much room does a goaltender get to claim in front of the net?  The blue paint, sure....but he's outside of that.  

image.png

image.png

image.png

Griess is out too far. And Hog's isn't in the paint.

Just have to shrug it off and move on, it was a night where Detroit players liked sticking their heads in our numbers.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Slegr said:

One clip I’d like to get a better view of was the offside that was called against the Canucks when they came in for that slick passing and tip-in that most likely would have beat the goalie. They never did show an overhead view of how that was offside.

the first replay seemed to show it was onside and that was another horrible call by the officials last night. That one was more arguable than the Hoggy one

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

What people seem to forget is that officials are not AI, tyey are individual people with individual perspectives.  Of course there's no consistency, with that many different people how could there be?  I like that different refs call different games, it adds another layer of complexity to an already complex sport.  It'd be pretty damn boring if every game were called exactly the same

I don't have a problem with this aspect of reffing. I have a problem with "game management".

• Like 1

Just now, JM_ said:

Just have to shrug it off and move on, it was a night where Detroit players liked sticking their heads in our numbers.

Green was asked why they didn't challenge it:  "Sewey [video coach Darryl Seward] was pretty, pretty confident that it wasn't going to be overruled".

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

But I AM a homer.

I don't invest too much energy at being upset after the fact anymore and have really adopted "it is what it is".  Greiss stood on his head and we could have easily won that game....but didn't.  Lots of shots, good energy but have to find a way to get it PAST the goaltender.  Those toe saves though....

exactly, anyone that comes on here and whines about people supporting their team can go file a complaint on HF Boards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Green was asked why they didn't challenge it:  "Sewey [video coach Darryl Seward] was pretty, pretty confident that it wasn't going to be overruled".

It was a good call the paint has nothing to do with it. you cant hit the goalie anywhere on the ice and this is what the call was about. especially on a goal.

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

The crease doesn't matter.  GI is routinely called outside the crease when the opposing player doesn't make a legitimate effort to avoid contact. Clearly Hoglander did not meet that standard.

• Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

The crease doesn't matter.  GI is routinely called outside the crease when the opposing player doesn't make a legitimate effort to avoid contact. Clearly Hoglander did not meet that standard.

I don't think Hogs expected him to be out that far, I don't think he was looking, just wasn't in the paint.

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't have a problem with this aspect of reffing. I have a problem with "game management".

That's their job.  Do you really want them calling every single infraction?  The he would be 98% special teams.  There are already far far far too many penalties called as it is now, it's ruining the game

• Cheers 3

Just now, stawns said:

That's their job.  Do you really want them calling every single infraction?  The he would be 98% special teams.  There are already far far far too many penalties called as it is now, it's ruining the game

I agree that I dont want to see half court hockey all game. But they also dont need to even up all the power plays and its obvious sometimes

Just now, JM_ said:

I don't think Hogs expected him to be out that far, I don't think he was looking, just wasn't in the paint.

But according to the rules the onus is on hogz to avoid contact.  I was disappointed as well, but no way would I expect any other call if it were on halak

• Cheers 2

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

I agree that I dont want to see half court hockey all game. But they also dont need to even up all the power plays and its obvious sometimes

It's been that way since the game began, in fact it's less now than it ever has been, imo.  I like it, it adds to the anticipatory/dramatic effect

4 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

the first replay seemed to show it was onside and that was another horrible call by the officials last night. That one was more arguable than the Hoggy one

It’s at 1:34 of this clip. NSFW language, so turn the volume off if your kids are in the room.

63853C32-4B2A-48B8-946D-96FFA76E7539.jpeg

1 minute ago, stawns said:

its not that b&w tho. Some teams are allowed to get away with more physical play than others, e.g.  Some ref's are lazy and always  call the same number on a team. Some like to give teams a chance to tie games up.

I don't buy the idea that you can't take this aspect out  of the game.

• Cheers 1