The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Pettersson not the same player we expect him to be?

Rate this topic

b3nnyb

18 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

And the Horvats of the world wouldn't have matched Pavel Bure's record in a million years. We need players like Pettersson as much as we need players like Horvat. But some ppl want to fill the whole team with "2 way" players and draft "2 way" players all the time. Its so trendy to like these 2 way players.

I want to see some exciting one way offense that Petterson brings. We had it with Bure, Naslund and the Sedins.

:huh:

Petterson

His 18 playoff points are 8th best all-time. His four power play goals were also tied for second-best all-time, with Greg Adams ('92-93), Trevor Linden ('93-94), and Daniel Sedin ('10-11) tied for the record with five.

Naslund and Bertuzzi had playoff struggles. As did the Sedins at times. This has to be one of our first star players to kill it in the playoffs in his first chance

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/09/08/elias-petterssons-playoff-best-vancouver-canucks-history/

The only people who want to fill the team with two way players as a goal are Benning and Green.

If EP, Podz, Boeser, etc can simply outscore their defensive flaws that’s a win for the team.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The only people who want to fill the team with two way players as a goal are Benning and Green.

If EP, Podz, Boeser, etc can simply outscore their defensive flaws that’s a win for the team.

I'd include QHs in that group too. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Then trade him.   A near 30 goal scorer is not worth that type of money.   Even Stone who's one of the best defensive forwards in the league doesn't get that.   Or O'Reilly.   Flat cap.   Insanity.   EP isn't worth that money even at a PPG really, but will likely get it anyways.  

Why are you bringing up defensive forwards ? We have Horvat for that. We don't need or want Petey to be that. Was Nasland a defensive forward ?No.

And who said he would top out at 30 goals and not 40 ? Who else are you gonna spend it on.

If you aren't signing your own guys you are singing the Loui Erriccsons 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

That's also a bunch of twaddle. It's the reason why he's a bit rusty. 

Hes a Calder winner. 7 million over 3 years is as cheap as could have asked. It's no wonder he was holding out. 

These haters talk like we matched a 10 million over 7 offer sheet. Which he could have got. And we'd have to match 

Not haters, just not brown nosers who got their noses up Petey’s ass.

I hope Petey gets going again but the eye test has shown me that he's slow and weak on the puck this year, red flags that have been popping up since his rookie year.  Hope he proves me wrong and all the other who expect him to produce after acting like a Prima donna and working harder on his Twitter than on the ice… if he had 80+ points in the first 2 seasons of his career he’d probably pull a Marner and demand north of $10 mil. Glad he didn’t. 

like I said. We all like Pettersson, hell I am still considering a Pettersson jersey (Demko may have taken that spot with his ridiculous playing)  I think some are just upset at his actions.

Here are some facts of the situation:

Putsgoalsin (3 shots 6 hits 1 Goal) had more impact on the Game last night with 7 min playing time than Petey (3 shots 1 secondary assist) with 22 min playing time

Horvat, Miller, Garland, Hughes, Chaisson, Boeser, Dowling, and Podz have more goals than Petey,

Miller, Garland, Hughes, and Horvat all have more points than Petey. 

If Petey wasn’t on the PP he would only have 2 points this season.

Petey showed up late out of shape and hasn’t produced like he claimed he does in order to make more money than anyone one the team.  Night in night out he is not the hardest working player on the ice by a long shot. Are his legs injured too? Because he doesn’t skate like someone who is trying to bust a slump. 

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Why are you bringing up defensive forwards ? We have Horvat for that. We don't need or want Petey to be that. Was Nasland a defensive forward ?No.

And who said he would top out at 30 goals and not 40 ? Who else are you gonna spend it on.

Calm down.   He's got three more years - why don't we wait and see what he does before saying "he's worth 9-10 on his next deal even if he has one down year and the others are like his usual production"...that's what i read and i say f!ck that then trade his ass if that's the case.   Most players aren't LE.   Is Stone? Is Zinbanejad?  Is Patches?   And how much are they making and what have they actually accomplished compared to EP so far?    Even Skinner has done more.   9-10 lol.  Why?   Just because he's a guy that gets some points because he's the guy who gets all the primo minutes?  In that case i guess Miller is getting the same cake too.   EP is NOT a 9-10 player and won't get that money unless he's taking a step beyond his first two years.  A pretty big one. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'd include QHs in that group too. 

Hughes has been much improved defensively. I think someone (likely Shaw) has been teaching him how to use all the things that make him an elite offensive player (skating, passing, vision, etc) on the defensive side of the ice.

I don’t expect him to be a top defensive defenseman. If he consistently does the above though it’s more than good enough without sacrificing his offense too much. Always felt that’s what he needed.

As much as we hate Duncan Keith, that’s exactly what Keith did to become an elite level two way dman. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

He's 27th all-time in playoff points ... behind (tied one less goal) then Mason freaking Raymond.   Yes we all were excited and we should be his first time out.   But Horvat was a better and more important player for us.   Are you talking about PGP?  Not sure where you get this 8th all-time ... and wow a pretty small sample size regardless. 

He's got as many points, as Henrik Sedin has game winning points lol... Let's wait and see before we crown the next champion.   

Ah there you go. Another Mason Raymond comparison. Mason Raymond played 50 playoff games. But either way, it's  sophistry to compare the 2.

And I am not crowning anyone champion. I am just talking reality. Petterson is our draft pick and he's in our system. You talk like we have all of these other options. Like who ? Virtanen ? Get used to it. We are stuck with him. 

We are very  unlikely to let him walk even if he doesn't turn out to be Naslund 2.0. And we are even more unlikely to find a replacement that would be a better deal than him. 

• Wat 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Hughes has been much improved defensively. I think someone (likely Shaw) has been teaching him how to use all the things that make him an elite offensive player (skating, passing, vision, etc) on the defensive side of the ice.

I don’t expect him to be a top defensive defenseman. If he consistently does the above though it’s more than good enough without sacrificing his offense too much. Always felt that’s what he needed.

Hughes is enjoying the OEL affect as well.   Just like Chychrun is enjoying the reverse in ARI right now.   Isn't Shaw doing our PP? 

2 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Ah there you go. Another Mason Raymond comparison. Mason Raymond played 50 playoff games. But either way, it's  sophistry to compare the 2.

And I am not crowning anyone champion. I am just talking reality. Petterson is our draft pick and he's in our system. You talk like we have all of these other options. Like who ? Virtanen ? Get used to it. We are stuck with him. 

We are very  unlikely to let him walk even if he doesn't turn out to be Naslund 2.0. And we are even more unlikely to find a replacement that would be a better deal than him. 

Not saying any of that.   All i'm saying is you said he's 8th in all-time playoff scoring after 18 games, and said no, that's not true, he's 27th and tied but ranked lower then Raymond because he's got one more goal.     Who the heck is comparing EP to Raymond lol!

Edited by IBatch

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hughes is enjoying the OEL affect as well.   Just like Chychrun is enjoying the reverse in ARI right now.   Isn't Shaw doing our PP? 

Chychrun is suffering from a team that is complete garbage. Even if OEL was still there they would be just as $&!#ty as they are now and he would be struggling. I can’t remember ever seeing a $&!#tier nhl team.

25 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

#FREEHORVAT

He is underrated offensively and overrated defensively. Should be 1C on this team with EP and Garland on his wings.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

If your willing to spend 10 mil+ on Petey. I can Guarantee you we could easily fill his roster spot with someone who is a superstar for that kind of money! Lol. Who are you Pettersson’s dad?  

Edited by ABNucksfan
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not saying any of that.   All i'm saying is you said he's 8th in all-time playoff scoring after 18 games, and said no, that's not true, he's 27th and tied but ranked lower then Raymond because he's got one more goal.     Who the heck is comparing EP to Raymond lol!

You are and its absolutely ridiculous and you know it. Raymond was playing on Presidents trophy winning teams. Just imagine getting rid of the Sedins and giving Mason Raymond the top checkers and D pairings in 2011. 

And then imagine putting Peterson in Raymonds role in 2011 lol

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

You are and its absolutely ridiculous and you know it. Raymond was playing on Presidents trophy winning teams. Just imagine getting rid of the Sedins and giving Mason Raymond the top checkers and D pairings in 2011. 

Nope.  I was not.  Again you posted he was already 8th in playoff scoring, and i laughed, looked it up, found where he was and said he was below/tied with Raymond.   You can make your own assumptions from that.  

26 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

#FREEHORVAT

He is underrated offensively and overrated defensively. Should be 1C on this team with EP and Garland on his wings.

Yep. I agree he's overrated defensively and underrated offensively at least.   Where he should be i don't know.  Pretty sure right now that's our first line anyways 5 x 5.

Edited by IBatch

Watching Petie last night I could see that he was looking way more comfortable. Getting his groove back. And his swerve opens up ice for others. Good to see him finish +2. Him and the whole look more dangerous when they are "playing" not thinking so much out there. 

Hesitation by our guys has been getting us killed. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel

1 hour ago, ABNucksfan said:

Not haters, just not brown nosers who got their noses up Petey’s ass.

I hope Petey gets going again but the eye test has shown me that he's slow and weak on the puck this year, red flags that have been popping up since his rookie year.  Hope he proves me wrong and all the other who expect him to produce after acting like a Prima donna and working harder on his Twitter than on the ice… if he had 80+ points in the first 2 seasons of his career he’d probably pull a Marner and demand north of $10 mil. Glad he didn’t. 

like I said. We all like Pettersson, hell I am still considering a Pettersson jersey (Demko may have taken that spot with his ridiculous playing)  I think some are just upset at his actions.

Here are some facts of the situation:

Putsgoalsin (3 shots 6 hits 1 Goal) had more impact on the Game last night with 7 min playing time than Petey (3 shots 1 secondary assist) with 22 min playing time

Horvat, Miller, Garland, Hughes, Chaisson, Boeser, Dowling, and Podz have more goals than Petey,

Miller, Garland, Hughes, and Horvat all have more points than Petey. 

If Petey wasn’t on the PP he would only have 2 points this season.

Petey showed up late out of shape and hasn’t produced like he claimed he does in order to make more money than anyone one the team.  Night in night out he is not the hardest working player on the ice by a long shot. Are his legs injured too? Because he doesn’t skate like someone who is trying to bust a slump. 

Naslund never drooled his way out of his slumps either. One way skill forwards just don't.

Bo Horvat got 18 points and was a minus 30 in his 1st full year. But he's one of these "2 way" Gods that everyone loves so much. Wait till you see what we have to pay him. 

53 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Nope.  I was not.  Again you posted he was already 8th in playoff scoring, and i laughed, looked it up, found where he was and said he was below/tied with Raymond.   You can make your own assumptions from that.  

I only had to bring up playoffs because you did. You said a weak core would never win a cup. And it just had to be said that Petey didn't disappear in his first playoffs. 

9 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I only had to bring up playoffs because you did. You said a weak core would never win a cup. And it just had to be said that Petey didn't disappear in his first playoffs. 

I did?   Well maybe you let's start again. I honestly doubt we will win a cup with this core, maybe parts of this one and the next.  End stop.

Also feel that most teams that make the show, have a decent shot as any but maybe 4 teams.  End stop.

So am hopeful for as many reps as we can with this one ... make me wrong... 

You might be confusing me with another poster. 

Peace out.   I love EP.  Am a huge fan and have been since his first dozen games.   Have also said, i've only seen Bure, Linden and our very own Brock Boeser come out of the hop that good that soon.   Nedved is the norm ... like year three ...same as Joe Thornton.   Same as Naslund and the Sedins and Bertuzzi.   Look at freaking 100 point Brad Marchand.   Thats the norm.   On the flip side i've also seen it go the other way.   Kovalev.  Gonez.  Zhamnov.   So there is reason to worry about EP as well.    I've brought up his PGP enough times.   But it's also reasonable to be worried about him right now as well.   Last year he'd only play 30ish games in a full season.   Sure he's still getting his assists but where are the goals?  I see both sides at the same time.   But for sure am not that worried yet.   But comments about him being worth 9-10 were and still are ridiculous.   Hasn't earned it yet.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1