The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Pettersson not the same player we expect him to be?

Rate this topic

b3nnyb

Hello everyone 

Do you feel Pettersson is not the same player that we expect him to be?

Looking back at the comparisons made to Gretzky and McDavid looks absurd

There is a reason why many scouts had ranked him lower than where he was picked but we’re treating him like a 1st overall pick

Has the time come to stop these silly comparisons to the legends and accept that he’s at best a 1B/2A C?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 7
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 4

Just now, Dekey Pete said:

:picard:

Missed the last game, must have been a stinker based on the abundance of "sky is falling" threads being started

The Canucks were disengaged last night, and the whole team was off no one had a good game. This year this fan base is going to over react to every game. A big win and the fans are going to be so excited and a lose the worst coached team in history. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Should have drafted Cody Class :bigblush:

Benning was right all along. :ph34r:

Seriously though, the Greztky comparisons he got when he first burst onto the scene were absurd, but that's just what happens in a crazy market. People always talk about how the bad gets exacerbated but it works the other way, too.

So far he's played about 2 seasons' worth of games and has pretty much produced like a first liner. It'll take more than a slow start over a handful of games for me to be worried.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

The Canucks were disengaged last night, and the whole team was off no one had a good game. This year this fan base is going to over react to every game. A big win and the fans are going to be so excited and a lose the worst coached team in history. 

I am so scared right now that Seattle will shutout Vancouver. So Canucks will forever be notorious as the first team to be shut out by Seattle

Then every Canucks fan will panic :frantic: 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Haha 1

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Seriously though, the Greztky comparisons he got when he first burst onto the scene were absurd, but that's just what happens in a crazy market. People always talk about how the bad gets exacerbated but it works the other way, too.

So far he's played about 2 seasons' worth of games and has pretty much produced like a first liner. It'll take more than a slow start over a handful of games for me to be worried.

I was hoping for Datsyuk actually. And that would have made me really happy.

29 minutes ago, b3nnyb said:

Hello everyone 

Do you feel Pettersson is not the same player that we expect him to be?

Looking back at the comparisons made to Gretzky and McDavid looks absurd

There is a reason why many scouts had ranked him lower than where he was picked but we’re treating him like a 1st overall pick

Has the time come to stop these silly comparisons to the legends and accept that he’s at best a 1B/2A C?

All those scouts would also say right now they under rated him and he was / is the best player from that draft.  No one compared him to Gretzky. McDavid and him where never compared either. The comparison was made of some shared traits and that's all. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

The Gretzky comparison was only certain traits not a next Gretzky, big difference. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm cutting Petey some slack. He missed most of preseason. He's still in training mode. Though his desire is there he needs a bit more time to sharpen his skills for game mode. A few more games and we'll forget we had this discussion. 

Edit: sorry...referring to the handwringing over Petey's play so far.

Edited by yes we can nucks