The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Top 6 F swap with Dallas Stars

Assuming that NMC is waived:

To Vancouver: Jamie Benn, Dallas retaining $4M per year and 2022 1st round pick. 

To Dallas: J.T. Miller, 2022 3rd round pick, 2023 3rd round pick, if the 2022 1st round pick to Vancouver is top 3 then Vancouver gives 2023 2nd round pick instead of 3rd round pick.

Dallas gets a younger offensive winger who can also play centre. He can play on the top line as a winger or on the 2nd line as a centre. In 2 years, they can extend Miller or have $5.25M of cap space. Vancouver gets a veteran sturdy winger with Cup Finals experience, with a cap hit of $5.5M for 4 more years. This would also hopefully allow for more minutes for Vasily Podkolzin on the top line. 

Currently in 4 games, Seguin has 0 point, Radulov, Pavelski and Benn have 1 point each. None of these 4 players scored a goal. J.T. Miller has 6 points in 5 games so far even though his play has been questionable in Vancouver. 

Edited by Maddogy

I'm confused, why would Dallas trade Benn AND a first only to retain $4 million (essentially paying Miller at $5.25 + dead cap at $4 million * 4 years = Benn's salary) when in two years Miller may re-sign for say $7-$8 million (depending on the market at the time)?  Conversely, why do we trade a "questionable" JT Miller (that's the only issue you listed about him) when he's been statistically productive, younger and cheaper, and why are we throwing picks at Dallas?  This seems like an overpayment for us (and I doubt Dallas wants that much dead cap either).  

Edited by Phil_314
  • Upvote 2

Doesn't really make sense for Dallas, but I'd pass for two reasons. 

I question Benn's ability to remain productive as he ages. Last season was a shortened season, and his numbers looked better. But his numbers fell each of the two seasons prior. He also doesn't play a game that ages as well as a pure skill game, though I've admired his game in the past. 

I see our being allowing to potentially walk away from Miller's cap hit entirely as more of a benefit. Maybe we re-sign him, but I see him as the odd man out going forward. Boeser and Horvat will both need new deals sooner than later, as will Hoglander. Along with various other rfa's. Also, if we want to improve our D money's going to have to come from somewhere. 

Edited by Coconuts

44 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I'm confused, why would Dallas trade Benn AND a first only to retain $4 million (essentially paying Miller at $5.25 + dead cap at $4 million * 4 years = Benn's salary) when in two years Miller may re-sign for say $7-$8 million (depending on the market at the time)?  Conversely, why do we trade a "questionable" JT Miller (that's the only issue you listed about him) when he's been statistically productive, younger and cheaper, and why are we throwing picks at Dallas?  This seems like an overpayment for us (and I doubt Dallas wants that much dead cap either).  

Good points. From what I understand Dallas has an empty cupboard  without any elite prospects. Klingberg's contract extension is coming up and he would question whether he wants to stay in Dallas for the rest of his career. Dallas will have lots of cap space next summer. By adding J.T. Miller and using next summer's cap space to add additional forward pieces they can convince Klingberg to stay at a reasonable price and go for the Cup once again. Dallas at this point has no intention to tank and rebuild. They have to move forward. 

Long term wise, it seems that Vancouver has identified an internal cap structure for future years. Certain cap spaces are already taken up or to be reserved for future contract extensions. I am personally not convinced that J.T. Miller has a secure spot as a part of this internal cap structure. If I am correct, J.B. would consider trading J.T. Miller if the price is right. Due to cap space restrictions, 1st round draft picks especially for what is reputed to be a good draft year tend to hold better values as trade chips. It would be easier for Vancouver to offer 2022 1st round pick for a top 4 RD than offering J.T. Miller with his cap hit. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

Assuming that NMC is waived:

To Vancouver: Jamie Benn, Dallas retaining $4M per year and 2022 1st round pick. 

To Dallas: J.T. Miller, 2022 3rd round pick, 2023 3rd round pick, if the 2022 1st round pick to Vancouver is top 3 then Vancouver gives 2023 2nd round pick instead of 3rd round pick.

Dallas gets a younger offensive winger who can also play centre. He can play on the top line as a winger or on the 2nd line as a centre. In 2 years, they can extend Miller or have $5.25M of cap space. Vancouver gets a veteran sturdy winger with Cup Finals experience, with a cap hit of $5.5M for 4 more years. This would also hopefully allow for more minutes for Vasily Podkolzin on the top line. 

Currently in 4 games, Seguin has 0 point, Radulov, Pavelski and Benn have 1 point each. None of these 4 players scored a goal. J.T. Miller has 6 points in 5 games so far even though his play has been questionable in Vancouver. 

Trade makes zero sense.

Dallas hangs up the phone quickly

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

Good points. From what I understand Dallas has an empty cupboard  without any elite prospects. Klingberg's contract extension is coming up and he would question whether he wants to stay in Dallas for the rest of his career. Dallas will have lots of cap space next summer. By adding J.T. Miller and using next summer's cap space to add additional forward pieces they can convince Klingberg to stay at a reasonable price and go for the Cup once again. Dallas at this point has no intention to tank and rebuild. They have to move forward. 

Long term wise, it seems that Vancouver has identified an internal cap structure for future years. Certain cap spaces are already taken up or to be reserved for future contract extensions. I am personally not convinced that J.T. Miller has a secure spot as a part of this internal cap structure. If I am correct, J.B. would consider trading J.T. Miller if the price is right. Due to cap space restrictions, 1st round draft picks especially for what is reputed to be a good draft year tend to hold better values as trade chips. It would be easier for Vancouver to offer 2022 1st round pick for a top 4 RD than offering J.T. Miller with his cap hit. 

I agree that Miller is the most likely "core" member to be let go. With that said, I'm not sure Benning would be interested in moving him if it makes our team considerably worse, which it will if the deal involves futures. 

An interesting idea that I was discussing with a Wild fan was a Miller for Fiala trade. Fiala may price himself out of Minnesota and Miller can play center for them. The Canucks get the younger player with more potential. It would depend on what Fiala is asking for on his next contract and what else would need to be involved to complete the deal, but I really like Fiala as a player and I would be very interested in that.