The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which is the best development league

Rate this topic

Fred65

20 hours ago, Fred65 said: I remember when Edler  came over to the WHL Sweden just about black balled him in international junior competition. As much as Sweden complains about poaching players it's also true Sweden tries to stop players advancing. I think for instance Persson has guts to choose to pla in Kamloops but he won't make the national team

So you don’t think availability has something to do with it? Who pays the travel expenses erc. It’s a lot more than just playing for the team.

On 10/25/2021 at 9:38 PM, Fred65 said:

It's funny I used to tell kids in a game there are 3 lines with three players on each line and shifts are approx 1 minute. A game last at best 1 hour of playing time ( stoppages between periods ) the chnaces of actually playing the puck is very limited so make the most of your practise time LOL.

I take a jaundiced view of the IIHF. There's such a biased view IMO, it's really a European Federation, until they want money. However the success of EU dvelopment cannot be denied at the upper level. Canada in the meantime need to run a much larger program with kids of all levels, and lots of them. I like to think Canada does keep and eye on participation and fun for kids. Sweden and Finland have had a disporortional, to their population, success. There's a lot we can learn. I remember when Edler  came over to the WHL Sweden just about black balled him in international junior competition. As much as Sweden complains about poaching players it's also true Sweden tries to stop players advancing. I think for instance Persson has guts to choose to pla in Kamloops but he won't make the national team

That’s not an uncommon position for many sports to take.

in Rugby most countries have a rule where if you are not playing in the domestic league you cannot play for the national team.

Where multiple leagues are at a comparable level that it fine, but for hockey when the financial power of the NHL is far greater that any other league it wouldn’t work.