The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Just now, Alflives said:

1 / I think your 1 is wrong.

2/ I think your 2 is wrong.

Hey Alf...haven't chatted for awhile.

I explained why I put the values as I did, why do you place them where you do? (ie/ Miller worth more, Boeser worth less)

Just now, ABNuck said:

Hey Alf...haven't chatted for awhile.

I explained why I put the values as I did, why do you place them where you do? (ie/ Miller worth more, Boeser worth less)

Miller is very good player, who is on a great contract for a one season (and playoff) rental.

Boeser is an okay player, who has a nasty QO.

Just now, Alflives said:

It could be a bigger trade than we think.

Miller + Myers for Marino + Kapanen 

We must get Rust... either rights or through F/A. If they give up Kap, they'll do all they can to keep Rust (so he'd be priced out of our market)...Rust is the key to a deal with the Pens. Marino + rights to Rust (pre-arranged signing with VAN).

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Miller is very good player, who is on a great contract for a one season (and playoff) rental.

Boeser is an okay player, who has a nasty QO.

Miller's future (age / contract) is a big killer to maximizing his return...if he was 2 years younger or had an additional year at the same cap hit as current then we could get the moon for him.

Boeser's QO is meaningless...he can negotiate any deal he wants. If the deal to NJ is pre-arranged, he could sign there for 5-6x6mil and fit their compete window perfectly.

3 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

We must get Rust... either rights or through F/A. If they give up Kap, they'll do all they can to keep Rust (so he'd be priced out of our market)...Rust is the key to a deal with the Pens. Marino + rights to Rust (pre-arranged signing with VAN).

He already signed a new contract with pit

5 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

He already signed a new contract with pit

Yup, you're right. Dang, and at a pretty good contract for his age. Oh well...on to the next F/A...Forsberg anyone?

7 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Miller's future (age / contract) is a big killer to maximizing his return...if he was 2 years younger or had an additional year at the same cap hit as current then we could get the moon for him.

Boeser's QO is meaningless...he can negotiate any deal he wants. If the deal to NJ is pre-arranged, he could sign there for 5-6x6mil and fit their compete window perfectly.

Miller is worth a lot as a rental.  Big body centre/wing who is skilled and nasty to play against and puts up over a ppg.  Excellent rental.  

Boeser hasn't signed a new contract yet though, so his value is as of right now.  QO is crazy high for him.  Lowers his value a lot.

25 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Maybe florida would be willing to trade Reinhart to fix cap issues.

To Van:

Sam Reinhart

Denisenko

Michael Benning 

To Fla:

Jt miller 50% retained

Might seem weird at first but gives them cap savings of 2.6 mil for this year which will be huge for them and they arguably get the better player. 

Why are you retaining on one of the best players in the league???

36 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I mean, I have certainly pushed the Miller to NJ for the 2nd but....wtf?

Miller is a poor fit for NJ...doesn't fit their compete window. If they give up a good future prospect (the #2 this year), all they are guaranteed is 1 year of JT at a decent cap hit. After that the salary to production scale will not make sense once some of their other prospects need to get paid. They would effectively be giving up a current prospect (whoever they would pick at #2) + a future prospect (whoever they can't sign down the road and must move on from due to JT's anchor contract that he'd be due next year)...not a good fit.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller is worth a lot as a rental.  Big body centre/wing who is skilled and nasty to play against and puts up over a ppg.  Excellent rental.  

Boeser hasn't signed a new contract yet though, so his value is as of right now.  QO is crazy high for him.  Lowers his value a lot.

That's exactly my point...he's a rental. The only teams that rent players are ones whose compete window is now. Teams who are looking at the future do not waste resources on rentals. It makes his market very narrow and as such, stunts his return.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

retaining on Miller opens up the trade potential to nearly every team. 

Absolutely no need to retain on JT...his contract next year to a contending team is worth it...it's the following years that will be a problem (the team that signs him may need to retain if they want to move him in his early thirties). No retention, his market is current contenders.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

That's exactly my point...he's a rental. The only teams that rent players are ones whose compete window is now. Teams who are looking at the future do not waste resources on rentals. It makes his market very narrow and as such, stunts his return.

Miller is worth a lot as a 1C/2C for the Canucks.

We don’t have another player like him.

Careful what you wish for guys… this is not the best move out there.

Re-signing Miller and fining other ways to create cap space is best.

Edited by Me_

3 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

I totally agree.  Miller's highest value was as a two playoff rental, so the last TDL.  But he's still worth a lot as a one season (one playoff) rental.  More than Boeser is worth, considering Brock's contract QO.

I see Miller as returning Marino and Kapanen.

I see Brock as maybe getting a second rounder.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Careful what you wish for guys… this is not the best move out there.

Re-signing Miller and fining other ways to create cap space is best.

I do think we will re-sign Miller.  It's going to be 7.75 x 7 years.

But if we don't ... :frantic:

6 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Absolutely no need to retain on JT...his contract next year to a contending team is worth it...it's the following years that will be a problem (the team that signs him may need to retain if they want to move him in his early thirties). No retention, his market is current contenders.

Depends on the trading partner. Just for e.g., take Vegas who is currently 200k over the cap for next season, but year after they have 17 mil open. If we retain, it makes it pretty easy for them to bring Miller aboard now, and have space for him in 2 seasons. 

Similar deal with Boston. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Me_ said:

Agree...but we also can't sign him beyond this year (age / contract value)...so we're kinda stuck (and other GM's know it). He is potentially a future OEL...still produces, but not at his contract value. To put it all into perspective, if JT Miller had exactly the same year he had, but on another team, what would you be willing to give up to get him for one year knowing that:

1/ His next contract could be a killer (anchor) for years to come, and

2/ Your team's compete window is still 2 years out so you won't have the player you traded for (Miller) at a decent contract when the window opens up.

How much do you give up now for him? That is where I think his value tanks a bit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ABNuck said:

Agree...but we also can't sign him beyond this year (age / contract value)...so we're kinda stuck (and other GM's know it). He is potentially a future OEL...still produces, but not at his contract value. To put it all into perspective, if JT Miller had exactly the same year he had, but on another team, what would you be willing to give up to get him for one year knowing that:

1/ His next contract could be a killer (anchor) for years to come, and

2/ Your team's compete window is still 2 years out so you won't have the player you traded for (Miller) at a decent contract when the window opens up.

How much do you give up now for him? That is where I think his value tanks a bit.

And your post is why Miller, if traded, will be going to Pittsburgh, or Boston.  Two teams that are in closing windows.  They can afford to give up guys in the middle of their careers because they will be rebuilding in a couple.  So Marino and Carlo types.