The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wonder what Dobson is looking for?  Maybe Lou doesn't like the numbers.  I'm sure he wants a deal similar to Hughes.  Will Lou pay him $7 million+?

Yeah.  Seems like Dobson is looking at $7M+ range at the very least.  Possibly even $9M+ if he’s looking at what Nurse and Jones are making (both are $9M+).

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd do 7x7 for Dobson.  How do we fit him under the cap?  Well Miller would be gone and they would need a Dman to replace Dobson.  I'd throw in Dermott into the deal.

Garland or Pearson would be two guys I would look to move as well to get cap space.  Garland might be easier to trade.  We may not get much for him, but his $5 million in cap space would be just as valuable to the Canucks as a young prospect.

Yeah, I would do 7x7 for Dobson as well. 

Not sure Isles would want Dermott back, though. 

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yeah.  Seems like Dobson is looking at $7M+ range at the very least.  Possibly even $9M+ if he’s looking at what Nurse and Jones are making (both are $9M+).

Ooof. I’m not sure if we could afford Dobson at 9M. 

He’d be the highest paid player on the roster (before Petey gets his raise). 

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yeah, if Lou is looking at trading Dobson then possibly his ask is too high for Lou's liking.  So it's probably closer to $8 million or more.  The Islanders already have Pelech and Pulock at over $6 million and they need to sign Romanov who probably wants $3.5 to $4 million.  Then they have Mayfield next summer who will probably want $4.5 to $5 million.  Something has to give for them on defence.

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Ooof. I’m not sure if we could afford Dobson at 9M. 

He’d be the highest paid player on the roster (before Petey gets his raise). 

Hamilton, Jones and Nurse are all getting over $9 million.  Dobson will be better than all of them...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah, if Lou is looking at trading Dobson then possibly his ask is too high for Lou's liking.  So it's probably closer to $8 million or more.  The Islanders already have Pelech and Pulock at over $6 million and they need to sign Romanov who probably wants $3.5 to $4 million.  Then they have Mayfield next summer who will probably want $4.5 to $5 million.  Something has to give for them on defence.

I mean, the Isles could trade Mayfield and some of the other defense to make room for Dobson. 

But hey, if Dobson is coming back this year, I am not going to complain. We would finally get the RHD piece that this franchise has been looking for, since forever. The only question is, what would he sign for, and would that amount be too expensive for the Canucks?

14 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I understood it as the Canucks having to part with a roster forward, or a top prospect, or a 2023 first round pick. 

Another poster was suggesting Miller + Rathbone for Dobson and Wahlstrom. 

I’d do that deal in a heartbeat. 

Of course you would. But you are dreaming. Dobson is untouchable and Wahlstrom is very highly rated by NYI with some suggesting that Trotz was fired because he mishandled great young players esp Wahlstrom.

For Dobson you are talking Miller + Hughes territory. In NYI Wahlstrom is also >>>> Rathbone

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Of course you would. But you are dreaming. Dobson is untouchable and Wahlstrom is very highly rated by NYI with some suggesting that Trotz was fired because he mishandled great young players esp Wahlstrom.

For Dobson you are talking Miller + Hughes territory. In NYI Wahlstrom is also >>>> Rathbone

Let's not get carried away here.  You are not trading your #1 forward AND your #1 Dman for Noah Dobson.  He isn't Bobby Orr...  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, mll said:

It's just Kuzma playing armchair GM - it makes really no sense for NYI.  

Lamoriello said his top priority was to improve their D-corps - can't score if you can't move the puck out.   

Yeah pretty much leaves them with only shutdown defencemen. Lou is the same guy that traded Toews for 2 second rounders :lol: So anything is possible 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hamilton, Jones and Nurse are all getting over $9 million.  Dobson will be better than all of them...

Yeah. So I’m not against offering Dobson money. I’m just worried how the team is going to fit his salary under their cap. 

16 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Miller and Hughes. You’re nuts. Nobody is trading their number 1 defense AND their number 1 centre for Dobson. He’s good, but he’s not God lol

That’s an overpayment for sure. Good luck to the Isles then to keep Dobson, because he’s going to want to get paid. 

Wahlstrom’s a good prospect. But c’mon, at the right price, he’s moveable. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, mll said:

It's just Kuzma playing armchair GM - it makes really no sense for NYI.  

Lamoriello said his top priority was to improve their D-corps - can't score if you can't move the puck out.   

Isn't that why they got Romanov?  None of their forwards cracked 60 points last year.  Miller had almost 100.  Gotta give to get.  If Lou wants a 100 point forward to go with his ageing core to try and win a Cup he is going to need to sacrifice some youth.  What good is Dobson if none of their forwards can score?

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Isn't that why they got Romanov?  None of their forwards cracked 60 points last year.  Miller had almost 100.  Gotta give to get.  If Lou wants a 100 point forward to go with his ageing core to try and win a Cup he is going to need to sacrifice some youth.  What good is Dobson if none of their forwards can score?

Hah. That’s true. But I can see some of their forwards rebounding offensively. If not, then guess who’s going to be desperate come the TDL to make a push for the playoffs? Lou’s also on the hot seat in New York….that’s usually a recipe for a bad decision. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. So I’m not against offering Dobson money. I’m just worried how the team is going to fit his salary under their cap. 

Well it's the same problem if we keep Miller isn't it?  So we can choose to pay Miller $8 million + or we can choose to pay Dobson $8 million +.  Either way we are paying somebody $8 million +.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Krinjer33 said:

Maybe Rutherford and Alvin are just waiting till we get this to 999 pages? 

Then they will pull the trigger forcing @-Vintage Canuck- to make a new thread and leaving us all in disappointment of not making it to 1000. 

1000 pages would probably be a nice record for trade, rumours, signings. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well it's the same problem if we keep Miller isn't it?  So we can choose to pay Miller $8 million + or we can choose to pay Dobson $8 million +.  Either way we are paying somebody $8 million +.

I’d choose Dobson. No brainer. I guess we’ll see these rumors about Dobson being included in a potential deal for Miller are true. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Let's not get carried away here.  You are not trading your #1 forward AND your #1 Dman for Noah Dobson.  He isn't Bobby Orr...  

No of course you wouldn't and I'm not suggesting that as a trade. I'm talking about trade value.

My point is that Miller may be our #1 forward but he doesn't have anywhere near the trade value to get you Noah Dobson.

Imagine STL trying to trade us Tarasenko (1 year til UFA) for Hughes. Tarasenko has better career numbers than Miller, similar age, career year last season. Would we trade Hughes for Tarasenko? Hell no! Why? Because Tarasenko doesn't have anywhere near the value to get Hughes. Doesn't matter if he's a top player. It's a similar comparison between Miller and Dobson.

Someone's going to try and say "well Miller scored more points last season" so what, Tarasenko has more career pts/gp. Someone will say "Miller is a center" well some consider him a center but he really isn't a true centerman, but my point is that he DOES NOT have the trade value with 1 year remaining to get you Dobson.

Now someone earlier in this thread tried to suggest they'd do: Miller + Rathbone for Dobson + Wahlstrom.

That is like STL saying ok we'll up the ante and give you Tarasenko + Perunovich for Hughes + Podkolzin

See where I'm coming from? You guys need to be realistic on what sort of return Miller can bring. It won't be Dobson. Also you are severely under valuing a player like Wahlstrom. NYI do not undervalue him. He is a key piece for their team. He's not a throw in to a trade, just like Podz woudl not be a throw in from VAN.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Miller and Hughes. You’re nuts. Nobody is trading their number 1 defense AND their number 1 centre for Dobson. He’s good, but he’s not God lol

That’s an overpayment for sure. Good luck to the Isles then to keep Dobson, because he’s going to want to get paid. 

Wahlstrom’s a good prospect. But c’mon, at the right price, he’s moveable. 

See my last post, I never suggested VAN would make that trade.

Dobson has no arbitration rights. He will likely get a bridge deal that will expire as a bunch of older player contracts expire (Varlamov, Bailey, Beauvillier, Clutterbuck)

And while I'm on a rant...(sorry guys)...

I wish JR and Allvin could've been a little bit more like Lou and don't tell every other team what we're going to do in the off season before we do it.

They talked a whole lot of stuff about shedding cap, getting more picks, improving the D, and signing or trading Miller.

None of it has happened. They look stupid now and every other GM knows what VAN desperately wants to do. I really hope they don't feel pressured now to make some bad trades to try and save face.