The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

24 minutes ago, hammertime said:

what's he got like 5 hits this year? Worst +/- on the team best deployment. Does he make the players around him better? Would he ever stick up for anyone ever? Is his skating improving? look at his goals how's he scoring them is he sniping? Is he driving play? what does he bring to the table? Is he working out there or picking cherries? He ain't a 6m dollar player he just isn't. He's prince Charmin toilet paper bear GIF

Sheesh he’s minus 5 … like that can’t be corrected in a game or two.  I see a lot of complaints about the lack of toughness.. but other than two guys this whole team is butter soft, including the captain.  Have you seen EP fall over at his own shadow lately? 

Boeser has the most goals since Bruce took over.  

https://twitter.com/patersonjeff/status/1494705628459065347?s=20&t=Ahz9VR4B-h6loQ488D6mog

In the whole 50 + year history of this team very few players the Canucks have drafted have out produced him at the same age.  I’ll take that over a guy who can take punches to the face every day of the week.

Is he tradable … of course he is.  I don’t think he’s worth a long term contract with an average per year of what his QO is worth , but at the same time he is so underrated by some of you guys.  

Edited by Darius
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

You don't even have any arguments why are you even here? You want somebody to talk to?

Nope, I spend time on fan forums designed to discuss hockey with other fans hoping no one engages so I can spend time thinking to myself. Do you think before you type or..?

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Darius said:

Gallagher and Toffoli have   played like 60-80 more games ( I’m too lazy to subtract for the exact number.. I’m old and useless on these phones going back and forth between web pages lol ) than Brock and are a few goals ahead they are prob legit second liners .. I think BB is a first line RW just from his g/pg p/pg.. we can’t let his injuries cloud what he actually does when he’s on the ice. 

Regarding what happens at trade deadline .. I think we may be surprised who goes.  Imho Miller should be the odd man out but who knows .. 

IMO with BB we absolutely have to look at the injuries as I haven't seen that quick release and sniping ability since his rookie year, feels like he takes forever to shoot the puck now. 

Miller does have the most value and would bring back a king's ransom but I do consider him part of the core, will be interesting to see how everything unforlds.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

32 teams x 3 players on the 1st line is 96 players which puts him at the tail end of a 1st liner or what you'd expect a 1st liner to produce.

The peer group is likely smaller than that though.  By using his entry into the league as starting point, they are excluding players who won't have the necessary years to come close to his numbers because of activity length alone.

Boeser is 3 games short from 300 games and his 1st full season was in 2017/18.  If you look at how many forwards have say 250 games since 2017/18 - there are only 256 - not even 3 lines.  If you use 280 as cutoff it drops to 192.  

At RW with a 250 game cutoff there are 56 RWs and with a 280 game cutoff only 40.  

6 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

IMO with BB we absolutely have to look at the injuries as I haven't seen that quick release and sniping ability since his rookie year, feels like he takes forever to shoot the puck now. 

Miller does have the most value and would bring back a king's ransom but I do consider him part of the core, will be interesting to see how everything unforlds.

What I see with Miller now is an opportunity and a lesson from the past.  If you could go back in time as the GM would you trade Tanev at his peak, Markstrom at good peak?  I would.  Just like the Flames should have traded iginla a couple seasons earlier.  Miller presents that opportunity now.  He will be into his thirties I think before the team is legit.  And that’s if everything goes well…. 

Edited by Darius
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Nope, I spend time on fan forums designed to discuss hockey with other fans hoping no one engages so I can spend time thinking to myself. Do you think before you type or..?

You're not even taking part in any of the discussions. You couldn't even answer my comment with anything valid or factual.

1 minute ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Since Boeser's 1st full season in the league, 2017-18, the only RWers to score more goals than him are Pastrnak, Rantanen, P. Kane, and Kucherov. Pretty elite goal scoring company. And he's 41st in goals among all skaters in that same period.

There are only 40 players listed as RWs that have played at least 280 games over that stretch - Boeser has played 288.  

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Since Boeser's 1st full season in the league, 2017-18, the only RWers to score more goals than him are Pastrnak, Rantanen, P. Kane, and Kucherov. Pretty elite goal scoring company. And he's 41st in goals among all skaters in that same period.

This is a good point.  Corey brought it up too.  I was counting since 2017 when he only played a few games.  

8 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

You're not even taking part in any of the discussions. You couldn't even answer my comment with anything valid or factual.

I didn't feel the need to attempt to explain to someone that pro athletes get injured, peticularly when the post was already replied to by someone else with the points I would have made. When you retaliated with "BuT WhAt ABouT OTheR PoSiTIOns?!" as your primary rebuttal I figured there wasn't any point really.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

So....

He's more durable than most RWs in the league as well... that's also a good thing.

Or it excludes players who have entered the league later and have played less games.  

To see if he is really among the best the peer group should be expanded.  As it it Boeser is still right up there.  If you use say a minimum of 80 games and look at goals per game he's 6th among players listed at RW.  

There's a real issue with the NHL not listing positions correctly - for the 8 teams that played tonight they list only 18 RWs instead of 32.  Looking at all forwards with at least 80 games since 2017/18 he would be tied 30th in goals per game which is very solid.

Just now, Shayster007 said:

I didn't feel the need to attempt to explain to someone that pro athletes get injured, peticularly when the post was already replied to with the points I would have made. When you retaliated with "BuT WhAt ABouT OTheR PoSiTIOns?!" as your primary rebuttal I figured there wasn't any point really.

Yeah injuries happen, but when you can't stay healthy enough to even crack 30 that's a problem. When comparing goal scorers why the hell wouldn't you compare all forward positions? Is there a special RW goal scoring trophy in your imagination?

8 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

And wins puck battles, he was in the top 15 in puck battles won last year. Pretty great for such a "soft" player.

Here's that overview which was compiled using InStat's tracking technology.  

• Cheers 2

Just now, Ferlands_Head said:

Yeah injuries happen, but when you can't stay healthy enough to even crack 30 that's a problem. When comparing goal scorers why the hell wouldn't you compare all forward positions? Is there a special RW goal scoring trophy in your imagination?

Because it's the position he plays. If you trade him, you're looking for a new right wing to replace him. Centers on average pick up more points the wingers. There are many reasons why its logical to compare him to players who play the same position. Even if you compare him to all forwards he still scores at a top line rate league wide.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Because it's the position he plays. If you trade him, you're looking for a new right wing to replace him. Centers on average pick up more points the wingers. There are many reasons why its logical to compare him to players who play the same position. Even if you compare him to all forwards he still scores at a top line rate league wide.

I was under the impression we were strictly talking about goal scoring here, you're right centres do pick up more points on average. Centres and wingers on average score goals at about the same rate. Some of the best in the business are wingers. IMO it is valid comparing all positions . 

Brock isn't a soft player, but the problem is that he's not a gritty player either.  Burrows could score at a similar rate while killing penalties and taking the other team's best players off their game.  He was a difference maker when the team needed an injection of energy.  He would screen the net, be a general pest and he was also a playmaker. 

Brock's a very good player but not the guy I think we can lean on to lead us to a cup.  Knowing that we need more guys like a Burrows or a Miller, we better have some spare cash set aside or be willing to trade some good players to land one.  

Sorry, I like Brock and cheer for him, but in my opinion we have to sign him for a very club-friendly salary or be willing to have a serious look at what he'd fetch on the trade market.

• Vintage 1