The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

14 hours ago, SilentSam said:

You asked this simple question and I gave you a simple answer.

Lammikko had15 points last season,  give him the pp time BB has had are you saying Lammikko wouldn’t score?

Two totally different players but Lammikko isn’t afraid to go to the net,  nor would he wait like a telegraph pole for an excellent pass to shoot.

Kuzmenko,   I think will highly out perform Brock,.  Watching a lot of tape on Kuz,  he loses D men behind the net and looks to see who’s open..  put him on the pp,  and he is straight to the net after that move.

Seems you think BBis irreplaceable or something?

far from it….   Wouldn’t be surprised if he does what Dubois is speculated to do.

Yes i think the 42nd overall active NHL player in the shooting percentage category is irreplaceable. 

Here's the guy below him on the all time shooting percentage list:

image.png.4aa6fc169e83b5a4a438d3fb72ef14e4.png

For reference:

image.png.1854d4b4933016b0460096bc81841f13.png

Edited by Nucklefuts
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Did you watch podz in the last 30 games or do you just want to keep pretending boesers slow ass is irreplaceable?  

Where do you come up with this crap? Name one time I have said Boeser is irreplaceable, I’ll wait. 

6 hours ago, mll said:

Not all teams feel that way when it comes to assessing production for contracts or comparing players across teams.   Analytics typically look at 5v5 or EV play.

In Philadelphia, Schenn had excellent PP numbers but had mediocre production at 5v5 and Hextall wasn't comfortable paying him a contract off PP production.  Was pretty much the reason he got traded to STL. 

PP production is more system dependent and role.  It's often unreasonable to expect the same production on PP2 vs playing on PP1.   Not all players get the PP opportunity either.

And St Louis won a cup and Philadelphia is still mediocre af. 

6 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Did you watch podz in the last 30 games or do you just want to keep pretending boesers slow ass is irreplaceable?  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-boeser-injury-ended-career/

I think Boeser has been pretty unlucky. 

He skated really well in his rookie year. He then suffered a season ending back injury. To summarize, the guy broke the transverse process on his L4 vertebrae which is pretty significant. I don't know what his offseason regiment was but he came back the next season completely bulked up. Probably because he didn't want to get tossed like this again... (good riddance Roger Takahashi) 

Anyway having bulked up, still recovering from injury, he was probably playing a little scared as well, Boeser was ineffective 2018-2019 and first half of 2019-2020 season. 

I was probably just as much of a hater as @EddieVedder. Totally wanted the Canucks to trade him. He then started showing signs of life in the Bubble and had a relatively strong playoffs. 

He followed that up with being our best player in the 2020-21 season.

It looked like he was back to his rookie form (in a good way... Like the rookie player who won the all star MVP) 

I thought he would fly out of the gates this year but he didn't and I wasn't sure why until I found out about Duke and watched the season ending press conference. 

The young man has been through a lot. Like how many ppl wanted Hughes traded last year or Petey this year? 

Pretty silent now.. 

I guess the question is, can Brock play like his rookie year and the 2020-21 season or is he gonna be the Brock post injury Brock 2018-2020 or the grieving Brock (2021-2022). 

For me, because I am a fan of his character and am genuinely rooting for him along with the fact that he's still young (guy still has 2 RFA years), I think it's asinine to dump him for chump change when there's actually a very valid reason for his poor play on the years I mentioned. It also means that he has it in him to come back from this and be a better player next year. 

Anyway here's to hoping he comes back. For the record, even if he leaves, I do think the Canucks will be ok. Kuz plays a very similar role to Boeser on the PP. But, if Brock can come back to old form, Boeser might be the guy that puts the Canucks over the edge by being another bonafide first line calibre player. 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-boeser-injury-ended-career/

I think Boeser has been pretty unlucky. 

He skated really well in his rookie year. He then suffered a season ending back injury. To summarize, the guy broke the transverse process on his L4 vertebrae which is pretty significant. I don't know what his offseason regiment was but he came back the next season completely bulked up. Probably because he didn't want to get tossed like this again... (good riddance Roger Takahashi) 

Anyway having bulked up, still recovering from injury, he was probably playing a little scared as well, Boeser was ineffective 2018-2019 and first half of 2019-2020 season. 

I was probably just as much of a hater as @EddieVedder. Totally wanted the Canucks to trade him. He then started showing signs of life in the Bubble and had a relatively strong playoffs. 

He followed that up with being our best player in the 2020-21 season.

It looked like he was back to his rookie form (in a good way... Like the rookie player who won the all star MVP) 

I thought he would fly out of the gates this year but he didn't and I wasn't sure why until I found out about Duke and watched the season ending press conference. 

The young man has been through a lot. Like how many ppl wanted Hughes traded last year or Petey this year? 

Pretty silent now.. 

I guess the question is, can Brock play like his rookie year and the 2020-21 season or is he gonna be the Brock post injury Brock 2018-2020 or the grieving Brock (2021-2022). 

For me, because I am a fan of his character and am genuinely rooting for him along with the fact that he's still young (guy still has 2 RFA years), I think it's asinine to dump him for chump change when there's actually a very valid reason for his poor play on the years I mentioned. It also means that he has it in him to come back from this and be a better player next year. 

Anyway here's to hoping he comes back. For the record, even if he leaves, I do think the Canucks will be ok. Kuz plays a very similar role to Boeser on the PP. But, if Brock can come back to old form, Boeser might be the guy that puts the Canucks over the edge by being another bonafide first line calibre player. 

He was a pisspoor skater even before that injury.  Enough with the excuses.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

And St Louis won a cup and Philadelphia is still mediocre af. 

A good PP coach can completely change the efficiency of a unit.  Laviolette says that only 15% to 20% of offensive situations can be practiced - the PP can be practiced.  It's much harder to teach a player how to generate offence at EV. 

LouiE was a net front guy in Boston but that spot was Daniel's and he barely played on the top unit - his PP numbers dropped.   There's a risk to overpay if there's too much emphasis put on PP production.  It's also not a fair comparable between players as not everyone gets the same opportunities.

Just now, EddieVedder said:

He was a pisspoor skater even before that injury.  Enough with the excuses.

The injury happened 62 games into his rookie year. 

You judged that he was a piss poor skater 62 games into his NHL career while putting up 0.89 pts per game as a rookie? LOL 

Canucks should hire you lol

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

The injury happened 62 games into his rookie year. 

You judged that he was a piss poor skater 62 games into his NHL career while putting up 0.89 pts per game as a rookie? LOL 

Canucks should hire you lol

Literally everything Eddie says about Boeser is a piss poor “assessment” based on nothing other than blind hatred of a player for no discernible reason.

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Literally everything Eddie says about Boeser is a piss poor “assessment” based on nothing other than blind hatred of a player for no discernible reason.

Yeah I wonder who he expects Boeser to be. Boeser will not be a guy that beats you with his speed so if that's what he's looking for, he'll obviously never be pleased. 

Boeser is not a guy that will drive the play. He is the guy who finds the soft areas of the ice and snipe it. He'll also be the guy who scores from in tight with a tip or with a slick play with his hands. 

He is however a guy that can score off the rush as evidenced in the 2020-21 highlights. 

The issue with Boeser is that if he's not moving his feet, he becomes a liability defensively and it'll be harder to find the soft areas of the ice if he's watching the play rather than skating. 

For me, Boeser can be a 70-80 pt player / 40+ goal scorer when he is running in peak form. 

I dunno what that's worth in the NHL. I do agree that he shouldn't be paid like a guy who can drive his line but when Boeser is playing well, there is no doubt he makes this team more dangerous. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Jake was (is) such a dough head. 

I do wonder if BB could have gotten more out of him. 

I couldn't believe his rookie season when he was taking the wrong angles in puck pursuit / forecheck etc. 

I was wondering how a guy got drafted into the NHL when he doesn't even know which side of the puck he should be pressuring from... 

24 minutes ago, mll said:

A good PP coach can completely change the efficiency of a unit.  Laviolette says that only 15% to 20% of offensive situations can be practiced - the PP can be practiced.  It's much harder to teach a player how to generate offence at EV. 

LouiE was a net front guy in Boston but that spot was Daniel's and he barely played on the top unit - his PP numbers dropped.   There's a risk to overpay if there's too much emphasis put on PP production.  It's also not a fair comparable between players as not everyone gets the same opportunities.

Some players don’t get the same opportunities because they’re not that type of player. Podkolzin could be, but so far he has not proven it yet. Anyone suggesting Laimmikko can do it right now is completely out to lunch. 

I also believe if Boeser is in PA and JR’s plans that a deal will be made that is fair for both sides. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Some players don’t get the same opportunities because they’re not that type of player. Podkolzin could be, but so far he has not proven it yet. Anyone suggesting Laimmikko can do it right now is completely out to lunch. 

I also believe if Boeser is in PA and JR’s plans that a deal will be made that is fair for both sides. 

I don't see that either.  Boeser is a natural goal scorer that had a down season for understandable reasons.  

I'm simply commenting on EV/5v5 vs overall production in comparing players and to be somewhat mindful of not overvaluing PP production. 

Seravalli wasn't all that positive that they could get a deal done - discussions have apparently been going round in circles.  I think they want to keep him but the deal has to be reasonable.  He has all the leverage because of his QO.  Should know soon enough.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

JV... What a terrible draft... 

We got Demko at least. Could potentially turn out to be the best player in the draft.

I literally wouldn’t take anyone else in that draft in a re-do. I’d take Demko 1st overall and then Ekblad or Point.

NVM forgot Draisaitl was 2014 not 2013. Wouldn’t take anyone else other than Draisaitl ;)

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah I wonder who he expects Boeser to be. Boeser will not be a guy that beats you with his speed so if that's what he's looking for, he'll obviously never be pleased. 

Boeser is not a guy that will drive the play. He is the guy who finds the soft areas of the ice and snipe it. He'll also be the guy who scores from in tight with a tip or with a slick play with his hands. 

He is however a guy that can score off the rush as evidenced in the 2020-21 highlights. 

The issue with Boeser is that if he's not moving his feet, he becomes a liability defensively and it'll be harder to find the soft areas of the ice if he's watching the play rather than skating. 

For me, Boeser can be a 70-80 pt player / 40+ goal scorer when he is running in peak form. 

I dunno what that's worth in the NHL. I do agree that he shouldn't be paid like a guy who can drive his line but when Boeser is playing well, there is no doubt he makes this team more dangerous. 

So many things wrong with this post.  Dont even know where to start.

You just admitted hes slow and not a line driver.  Where in this league do you see soft, slow, one dimensional players that cant put up numbers on their own put up 40 goals and 80 points? 

• Haha 2