The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

When he needed a push.   He started and moved up quickly for a reason.    And unlike some who think he's one dimensional - produces well with any of the top six he's played with.   Bear Horvat BB...other players, including Miller, Horvat and EP have also enjoyed a bump in their stats.   Brock was our best forward last year, not Miller and not EP.    And the Sedins well they are probably ending up in the HHOF ... not quite the same is it?  Bear lol .. Daniel Sedin in his prime....

Brock was not our best forward last year. Did you watch the games or are you just reading a stat line? 

6 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Bruce even said so after the last game…something along the lines of what you said…Brock is a scorer, sometimes it may not look like he’s doing much, but then he pops one in, that’s a skill that isn’t easy to teach, and that’s why you pay those guys who can put the puck in the net. 

Snipers are a different player to watch, they roam around and look for openings (which may look lazy, but it isn’t they are hunting for their spots) they may not always be looking to play their man all the time, they will shift around and look for ways to get their shots off…lots of guys fit that bill…Laine and Kessel come to mind…it’s hard to score goals in the NHL. The guys who put the puck in the net get paid, what is great about Brock is he has a more rounded game than most snipers. He actually has some good playmaking abilities and isn’t too shabby defensively. Brock may not be worth 7 mil, but 6 isn’t bad at all for a player like him. His QO is for arbitration process if they can’t decide on a contract (it’s been brought up a few times now). So that means we can reach a lesser deal with him, with his desire to stay in Vancouver I can see a fair deal getting done.

To me, a player like Brock should be around $4.5m.  Anything over $5m and I'd rather see that money put to better use

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

To me, a player like Brock should be around $4.5m.  Anything over $5m and I'd rather see that money put to better use

Wow, I think he’s at the 6 mark. I don’t think he’s that low. I do agree that he is a trade chip worth capitalizing on if you can’t agree to terms. Will see what happens 

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Wow, I think he’s at the 6 mark. I don’t think he’s that low. I do agree that he is a trade chip worth capitalizing on if you can’t agree to terms. Will see what happens 

Boeser is a James Neal without the toughness.  If he could pk, then I'd agree he's worth $6m

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Imagine if Allvin trades softies like Dickinson, Poolman, and Pearson to clear cap and then surround guys like Brock with more grit so that he can focus more on scoring.

So what do you mean he is focusing on now?

Not arguing we need more toughness or that Pearson has his flaws, but being soft is not one of them as witnessed by his board play and fights since BB took over.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Interesting. I saw Miller drive that bus. Agree to disagree I suppose. 

That's the beautiful thing about an eye test, different people see it different ways. That's why I said something, didn't think it was a fair statement just to say Brock wasn't. I bet many people would have felt Brock was last year.

• Cheers 1

Boeser is a James Neal without the toughness.  If he could pk, then I'd agree he's worth $6m

This is exactly where I'm at too. Except Neal scored 40. I like Brock but for the price he's gonna have to do more and I just don't see it. He's not a guy in the trenches gutting out games being hard to play against. 

If he could PK that would be a great step in the right direction but I don't think he's got the huevos to stand infront of a point shot or the speed to turn a turnover into a breakaway. He is smart though and he knows how the PP works so maybe that would be an asset defending on the pk. I'd love to see it tried. Cuz I just don't know what else he can do to take his game up a level.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

That's the beautiful thing about an eye test, different people see it different ways. That's why I said something, didn't think it was a fair statement just to say Brock wasn't. I bet many people would have felt Brock was last year.

I know people think I dislike Boeser, I don't, I just don't like him for what they have to pay him.  My eye test shows me a player with  good hands who finds his spits, but relies on other players to make the plays and that's about the extent of his game.  On a team that struggles on the pk, is thin on d I think his cap space needs to be used elsewhere

Just now, stawns said:

I know people think I dislike Boeser, I don't, I just don't like him for what they have to pay him.  My eye test shows me a player with  good hands who finds his spits, but relies on other players to make the plays and that's about the extent of his game.  On a team that struggles on the pk, is thin on d I think his cap space needs to be used elsewhere

I think saying Boeser relies on a play driver is 100% fair, I entirely agree. But I don't think that's a bad thing, a team needs both. I see Brock as a 1RW on this team. Ideally, Petey is out 1C, and Petey can be a play driver when he is playing at his best. If they both hit their prime together, that is 2/3rds of what can be a very effective line.

I can see the argument of using his cap space other places, but we also need guys that can score. I'm also strongly in the camp that trading Brock now is selling low. We can afford to sell low on our players right now. We don't have nearly enough excess to do that. We have to buy low and sell high. If Brock was killing it this year, I might agree with trading him. I just don't think it's the smart play right now.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Shayster007 said:

I think saying Boeser relies on a play driver is 100% fair, I entirely agree. But I don't think that's a bad thing, a team needs both. I see Brock as a 1RW on this team. Ideally, Petey is out 1C, and Petey can be a play driver when he is playing at his best. If they both hit their prime together, that is 2/3rds of what can be a very effective line.

I can see the argument of using his cap space other places, but we also need guys that can score. I'm also strongly in the camp that trading Brock now is selling low. We can afford to sell low on our players right now. We don't have nearly enough excess to do that. We have to buy low and sell high. If Brock was killing it this year, I might agree with trading him. I just don't think it's the smart play right now.

I agree teams need guys like BB, just not at the cost that he's going to command.  Selling low, maybe, but once he signs a new deal he's going to be more unmovable than he is now.

I agree teams need guys like BB, just not at the cost that he's going to command.  Selling low, maybe, but once he signs a new deal he's going to be more unmovable than he is now.

I guess that also depends on the deal. I can't see Allvin over paying Brock, I think it's a reasonable term or it's a trade in this case. Same as how I view Miller, I just feel much more confident that Brock takes a hometowner.

• Cheers 1

I also find it telling during his last playoff performance Brock was largely neutralized putting up 4 goals in 17 games which had him tied with Tanner Pearson and Tyler Motte who were being used completely differently. He was the only minus player on his line which he should never be as a "scorer" and Gaudette threw more hits than Brock in 7 fewer games. 

Is Brock a guy who's gonna win you a cup? I don't see it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Pete and Brock are going to need to be propped up by one hell of a play driver if we are gonna get a sniff with those 2 as 2/3rds of our 1st line. 

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I also find it telling during his last playoff performance Brock was largely neutralized putting up 4 goals in 17 games which had him tied with Tanner Pearson and Tyler Motte who were being used completely differently. He was the only minus player on his line which he should never be as a "scorer" and Gaudette threw more hits than Brock in 7 fewer games. 

Is Brock a guy who's gonna win you a cup? I don't see it. 

He can help, but at a reasonable price.  Brocks cap hit, as it stands, depletes depth in key areas that you need if your team is going to contend.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

He can help, but at a reasonable price.  Brocks cap hit, as it stands, depletes depth in key areas that you need if your team is going to contend.

This I agree with. I would be Brocks biggest fan at 5m. He is good value at 5m but that's a non starter when we start talking about 7M x 6 or more yikes.

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

That’s lowballing.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that a good comparable is Sam Reinheirt.  He had similar numbers prior to being traded to Florida.  He signed a $6.5M x 3yr contract.

Thats is what Boeser is worth.  Hopefully he signs with Canucks for the same amount but longer years (6-8yrs).

I get he’s not your favourite player but come on.

• Cheers 1

Just now, BPA said:

That’s lowballing.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that a good comparable is Sam Reinheirt.  He had similar numbers prior to being traded to Florida.  He signed a $6.5M x 3yr contract.

Thats is what Boeser is worth.  Hopefully he signs with Canucks for the same amount but longer years (6-8yrs).

I get he’s not your favourite player but come on.

SR is a far more complete player than BB, imo 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

SR is a far more complete player than BB, imo 

SR also is 2yrs older and had a chance to up his game when Eichel went down.  He’s flourishing with Florida.

Boeser has been a pretty consistent 20+g near 60pt player.  

I would love if he signed for $6-6.5M avg.  Anything over $7M is a bit too much and should be looked at being traded.  It’s a cap world after all.

• Cheers 3