The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

Agreed about age of consent, zero argument there. Technically you are correct, he hasn't physically absurd anyone. But his actions would have surely been concidered sexual abuse mentally on the victim.

I want to make it very clear I'm not trying to shame you for your opinion or anything. I appreciate being able to have a honest conversation on these subjects. But when it comes to the Sweden thing I disagree again. Because their ago of consent is lower, I'm glad that they clearly take these actions very seriously. One of my Pops favorite quotes comes to mind in this regard. "Little ones need protecting", I think by taking actions like this very seriously it may help protect people since their age of consent is low.

Yeah for sure, I can totally see that perspective. 

I do think many age of consent laws in Europe need to be reformed. Sexual predation in Europe has been neglected for quite awhile. There are some countries where age of consent is 16 however people in authority are still able to engage in sexual manners. 

I think Canada’s is perfect. Teenagers can consent to each other, 16 year olds are able to make the decision, however any type of authority is exempt,  and any type of photo sharing is strictly prohibited of a minor. 

Moral of the story, don’t be a creep, lol

• Cheers 4

12 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Morally speaking, I agree, it’s a $&!#ty thing to do and it’s definitely illegal to share someone’s photos without. But when your country allows individuals 20+ and over to consent to legal sex with a 14/15 year olds, it’s a huge head scratcher of that in itself. 

The thing is, he was a minor. In my eyes, he hasn’t sexually abused anyone physically. Is he a piece of $&!#? For sure. Do I think he’s still redeemable? Absolutely. 

I can see him being a sex offender here or America. But again, Sweden? 

Totally agree with this. People are not grasping (or not willing to) at the fact that a sexual offender is an overly broad description who may have been charged with sexual crimes, but not necessarily rape. And yet, how each of these people are perceived can be different (all of which are on negative levels).

I think releasing photos of a sexual nature of someone else without their permission is technically a sexual offense. But there is a noticeable difference in the severity level for other more heinous acts.

Then there are people who are virtually irredeemable, but others who need help. Obviously, no one should use one standard to judge another across the board, given the huge spectrum.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Western Red said:

You seem to know your history. Ever listen to Dan Carlins Hardcore History podcast?

I remember being about 11 when we lost Walker to NSH. 11 yr old me was gutted.

No he doesn't know his history. What does Ghandi (known for being a well-known and effective peaceful protestor to some, and a hated individual to others (notably in Pakistan), and a probable sexual offender of minors have to do with coach Green?

I'm actually curious as to how people pervert history like this. It's disgraceful to use the Ghandi comparison on so many levels.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Totally agree with this. People are not grasping (or not willing to) at the fact that a sexual offender is an overly broad description who may have been charged with sexual crimes, but not necessarily rape. And yet, how each of these people are perceived can be different (all of which are on negative levels).

I think releasing photos of a sexual nature of someone else without their permission is technically a sexual offense. But there is a noticeable difference in the severity level for other more heinous acts.

Then there are people who are virtually irredeemable, but others who need help. Obviously, no one should use one standard to judge another across the board, given the huge spectrum.

And in this case, when you look at the victim (over 18) and the perpetrator ( a minor of the time) coupled with the fact that there was no sexually heinous crime involved, he’s not a “sexual offender” we come to accept as in society. He committed a sexual offence no doubt about it, but contexts and severity matters too. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

No he doesn't know his history. What does Ghandi (known for being a well-known and effective peaceful protestor to some, and a hated individual to others (notably in Pakistan), and a probable sexual offender of minors have to do with coach Green?

I'm actually curious as to how people pervert history like this. It's disgraceful to use the Ghandi comparison on so many levels.

Sorry, I was referring to the first line of text. A reference "a date that will live in infamy" (Pearl Harbor)

I'm oblivious to what he said in the rest haha, just liked that quote.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This surprises you? It shouldn't humanity has dropped a lot of levels over the last 10-20 years 

• Sad 1

Anybody else watch that Horvat interview?? 

I have never seen him look more excited, and sound so much like a captain.. like a different player. Sounds like a player who is engaged and excited to get to work! 

Also sounded the most committed to winning in Van as he ever has 

Go Nucks baby! 

Edited by Nuckin Kingsly

Just now, iceman64 said:

This surprises you? It shouldn't humanity has dropped a lot of levels over the last 10-20 years 

It's not that it surprises me. People have been reinventing history to suit their own agendas. They'll invent religion if they have to (and we know this has happened as well)

People, in general, are just stupid. And we might end up killing each other because of it.

1 minute ago, Nuckin Kingsly said:

I have never seen him look more excited, and sound so much like a captain.. like a different player. Sounds like a player who is engaged and excited to get to work! 

Go Nucks baby! 

Maybe Sekeres was wrong again. Maybe Horvat and Miller weren't arguing over Green. Maybe they were both sick of Green's antics.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Nuckin Kingsly said:

Go Nucks baby! 

Where can I watch this?

1 minute ago, Nuckin Kingsly said:

Go Nucks baby! 

It is one thing to be excited

It is another if he had just QUIT to have people fired

That is not leadership

I hope it was just excitement for change

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ba;;isticsports said:

It is one thing to be excited

It is another if he had just QUIT to have people fired

That is not leadership

I hope it was just excitement for change

The whole team quit. Look at all their faces and moral going into the arena. Hard to keep leadership when everything is falling apart. 

I think he is just very excited for a change. It's impossible not to see that this team gave up on green 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Yeah for sure, I can totally see that perspective. 

I do think many age of consent laws in Europe need to be reformed. Sexual predation in Europe has been neglected for quite awhile. There are some countries where age of consent is 16 however people in authority are still able to engage in sexual manners. 

I think Canada’s is perfect. Teenagers can consent to each other, 16 year olds are able to make the decision, however any type of authority is exempt,  and any type of photo sharing is strictly prohibited of a minor. 

Moral of the story, don’t be a creep, lol

true but the rest of Canada's dealings are corrupt and have been for some time now but we pretty it up so it doesn't look quite as bad to as other countries. 

The native death cover-ups are just one lil bit on the tip of the mountain. Heck when I grew up the RCMP used to take drunks and drive them out of town and make them walk back in or freeze to death and freezing to death was common, I was shocked to hear that it went on for years until people started to catch wind of it. 

I was told that the RCMP would never do such a thing... yeah right..

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It's not that it surprises me. People have been reinventing history to suit their own agendas. They'll invent religion if they have to (and we know this has happened as well)

People, in general, are just stupid. And we might end up killing each other because of it.

well you're last statement has been going on for years... world war 1 and 2, and a lot more besides that.  Yeah humans aren't nearly as smart as we seem to think we are...

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Petey made the statement that he wanted to play for a winning team.  Bo said that no one there wanted to be part of a rebuild. 

These young guys want everything now. That is not how it works. If you get a chance to win a cup once in your life you are lucky. 

I would tell Bo that if you ever want to win a cup you need to be part of a long term organization. You need to be willing to take a reasonable contract that allows your team to build around you. If Miller and Horvat resigned for 5.5 mil for 5 years that would give time and money for this team to finish the rebuild. Players need to buy in to get to a cup. 

Otherwise they need to move these guys in their prime for as many assets as they can get.