The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van & Bos Swap(Discussion)

Let's establish a few determined variables, for context.

By mid-Feb, the PO's appear a long-shot. Van Mgt get the sense that McDonough doesn't really want to come north. It also looks like JT miller will head east for a nice futures-pkg.

Van: Connor Garland, Rathbone & McDonough

Bos: Jake Debrusk, Zboril & 2022 1st r pick

First, from our pov, not sure if this is enough? My guess is the Bruins would love to bring in 3 local guys. Thus, they could overpay.

For Rathbone, his compelling family matter makes me accept dealing to Boston,(a team I detest) would be an admirable gesture. His bud AM, would surely follow.

We would take on 2 chunks of Beantown's 2015 1st rd travesty. However we also gain cap space, & a 1st I'd guesstimate would land around 20th OA. One can often land a large, dependable defender in such a range.

With Debrusk, we land a LW who'd gain us a certain fan in the TV media-realm. Admittedly, I like his old man's CC work.

edit: Wanna emphasize, have no idea what McDonough might do. Suggesting this on a hypothetical, IFFF Mgt get a sense he might not wanna play here.(before folks freak out that I'm presuming this/that etc...)

If he is eager to play in Van, then would switch in some other asset.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

I'd do Rathbone and McDonough for Michael McLeod.  New Jersey is close enough to Boston and we get our 3C.  Miller can go to the Rangers for that 1st round pick and Braden Schneider plus one of Chytil, Kravtsov or Lundkvist.  I'd throw Motte and Schenn in there as well if we could get another prospect from the Rangers.

To New Jersey:

Jack Rathbone

Aidan McDonough

To Vancouver:

Michael McLeod

To NY Rangers:

JT Miller

Tyler Motte

Luke Schenn

To Vancouver:

Braden Schneider

Vitali Kravtsov or Morgan Barron or Filip Chytil

Nils Lundkvist

2022 1st round pick

I think that would cover most of our needs.  We could address anything further with our two 1st round picks.

• Upvote 2

To the original post, wanted to add:

- Seems fair to say Bos is closer to Cup-competition than we are, at this point. Their core is certainly older. So giving picks for guys who are further along the path, serves both team's interests & timelines.

- Also feel we should expect such trade-patterns. Am guessing JB's draft stock is likely well-regarded amongst various GM's. The new hierarchy may well try to quickly cash in on this, at the same time transitioning picks(& subsequent selections) into what is perceived as youth of their own(also thereby extending possible ELC-contributors to later seasons).

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

By mid-Feb, the PO's appear a long-shot. Van Mgt get the sense that McDonough doesn't really want to come north. It also looks like JT miller will head east for a nice futures-pkg.

First, from our pov, not sure if this is enough? My guess is the Bruins would love to bring in 3 local guys. Thus, they could overpay.

For Rathbone, his compelling family matter makes me accept dealing to Boston,(a team I detest) would be an admirable gesture. His bud AM, would surely follow.

We would take on 2 chunks of Beantown's 2015 1st rd travesty. However we also gain cap space, & a 1st I'd guesstimate would land around 20th OA. One can often land a large, dependable defender in such a range.

With Debrusk, we land a LW who'd gain us a certain fan in the TV media-realm. Admittedly, I like his old man's CC work.

edit: Wanna emphasize, have no idea what McDonough might do. Suggesting this on a hypothetical, IFFF Mgt get a sense he might not wanna play here.(before folks freak out that I'm presuming this/that etc...)

you see the difference between good teams and bad teams

is good teams do not over pay

end of argument

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

my guess is that your guess is actually a thinly veiled argument

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Why are we cleaning up Boston's mess? Debrusk and Zboril  have both severely underperformed not only this season but throughout their careers. The only real value here is that first round pick, and even then, its a late first round pick. What exactly is the long term plan with Debrusk and Zboril? Why are you trading away a legitimate top six forward with term and at a good contract for this team, our top defensive prospect, and a developing powerforward? Is that really worth a late round first round pick? If McDonough doesn't want to play here, let him walk or trade him for another asset. Why do you have to include Garland and Rathbone for that reason. Seems you are doing Boston a huge favor and severely crippling your own organization.

You can find ways to open up cap space without decimating the depth and throwing away good pieces with more value. Debrusk and Zboril together would make around 4.4 mil and you would maybe save just under a 1.5 mil on the cap trading Garland. Not really sure where that gain cap space really does for you there. There are more sensible and easier ways to find that 1.5 mil without throwing away assets.

This proposal doesn't make any sense. 

• Like 1