The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ducks hire Pat Verbeek as GM

Rate this topic

Solid pick by the Ducks. Verbeek is ready for the big chair and has the background and experience to be very successful in an NHL GM role.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Was actually hopeful he was our hire. 

Probably wasn’t the best fit here. Verbeek, while never an NHL GM, has about a decade of AGM experience in the league. I don’t really see him wanting the job working under Rutherford. Anaheim (IIRC) doesn’t have a PoHO, so the GM position is at the top of the ladder in hockey operations for the Ducks. With the Canucks, in many respects, the GM is more like a senior AGM/#2 to Jim Rutherford, which would be sort of a lateral move for Verbeek. 

Not that I’d have been against hiring Verbeek here. I think he’d be a solid addition to any organization. But I imagine what really enticed him to make this move was the opportunity to run his own team, with full autonomy within hockey ops, which isn’t really the job description of the current Canucks GM.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

"The Original (or) The Real Little Ball of Hate"... 500 plus goals ... yes this guy deserves a chance.   Garland is our dirty little elf.   But i remember Verbeek well.  Played in a time when small skilled guys would be creamed if they didn't use the lumber liberally and play like the Tasmanian Devil... Fluery too.  Was actually hopeful he was our hire. 

FTFY.  Verbeek = the original and real...Marchand = fake, fake, fake. 

Little known fact about Pat Verbeek: he played most of hockey career without one of his fingers.  Can't remember which one.

Great hire by the Ducks.

EDIT: can't remember where I had heard the Pat Verbeek story, so I did a little fact checking and turns out the severed thumb was reattached.  Was a farming accident that cut off his thumb and lacerated three fingers. In 1985.  Never missed a game because of it.  Sorry for derailing the thread.  It's been a slow Thursday.

https://www.si.com/nhl/2013/10/09/weird-hockey-injuries#gid=ci0255c71c40052781&pid=130904170526-pat-verbeek-farm-equipment-single-image-cutjpg

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Solid pick by the Ducks. Verbeek is ready for the big chair and has the background and experience to be very successful in an NHL GM role.

Probably wasn’t the best fit here. Verbeek, while never an NHL GM, has about a decade of AGM experience in the league. I don’t really see him wanting the job working under Rutherford. Anaheim (IIRC) doesn’t have a PoHO, so the GM position is at the top of the ladder in hockey operations for the Ducks. With the Canucks, in many respects, the GM is more like a senior AGM/#2 to Jim Rutherford, which would be sort of a lateral move for Verbeek. 

Not that I’d have been against hiring Verbeek here. I think he’d be a solid addition to any organization. But I imagine what really enticed him to make this move was the opportunity to run his own team, with full autonomy within hockey ops, which isn’t really the job description of the current Canucks GM.

Maybe.   Time will tell.  Personally get the hire for the Canucks with Rutherford, but not sold yet.   

Edited by IBatch