The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Formula 1 season thread

MaxVerstappen33

Might as well start things off for 2022.

Reveals will be happening later this month. Haas already released a rendering of its 2022 car. This is a computer image so it doesn't really count imo. Although the team claims that this is the actual design.

image.jpg

haas-vf-22-1.jpg

Here is how it compares to the prototype from a down view

theracef1_by_backspin321_dezfrgu-fullvie

• Like 2

Best part about f1 is it perfectly aligns with hockey season, so as it winds down F1 is winding up. Looking forward to another exciting season. Hoping for a bit more competition and racing this year. I know the new regulations and designs were made to facilitate that. 

Haas played it very safe with that livery. I'd like to see some more funky stuff for liveries, maybe not as crazy as Indy, but even like a couple alternate liveries they can slap on just to change things up would be fun. That Gulf McLaren was gorgeous.

Bigger tires definitely look a little silly, but it'll become normal like you said. I'd personally be fine with slower lap times if it means we get better/more consistent racing. 

Let's hope the FIA has sorted some of their stuff out for this new season. Could go for a less controversial year lol.

• Like 1

I was a huge fan as a kid from 1998 to about 2006, when Schumacher retired the first time. Paid attention here and there after that but got busier as I got into high school and beyond and couldn't keep up. Over the tail end of 2020 and then last year I started getting back into it, watching old videos on Youtube and then starting to follow along with the current roster on social media... I'm a heavy sleeper on weekends but this might be the year I wake up early to catch a few races live. Intrigued to see what Russell can do in the Mercedes, and if Ferrari can mount a challenge with the new changes (still got a soft spot for them all these years later). Would be awesome to see Mick pick up some point finishes in the Haas too!

• Cheers 1

On 2/5/2022 at 10:59 PM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I was a huge fan as a kid from 1998 to about 2006, when Schumacher retired the first time. 

I was also a fan back when Schumacher and Jacques Villeneuve were racing.

And then I realized, despite all the glamour of F1 and the sexy cars, it was kind of boring.   Hardly any passing back then.  The main determinents of winning seemed to be pole position and how well the pit crews changed tires during the race.

Has anything changed? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

And then I realized, despite all the glamour of F1 and the sexy cars, it was kind of boring.   Hardly any passing back then.  The main determinents of winning seemed to be pole position and how well the pit crews changed tires during the race.

Has anything changed? 

Not as boring as it used to be but still a massive advantage to the rich teams making races predictable. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Has anything changed? 

Most exciting part of F1 this season to me is the return of the rivalry of Hamilton vs Verstappen.

Hopefully Red Bull have a car as capable to fight Mercedes because you know they will be right there at the top new regulations aside.

This is a big year for Charles Leclerc he has to clean up some of the mistakes he makes in qualifying and the races and show he is the better driver in comparison to his young challengers George Russel and Lando Norris.

Ferrari is a team to watch they have been looking for an "agressive design" to try to get an early leg up and have been taking ideas from former Mercedes and RedBull personnel to try to catch up to their rivals at the front of the pack.

I would be shocked if Ferrari can compete with Mercedes or RedBull off the bat. The engine and chassis of those teams as well as the pit crew and overall team consistency are so far ahead of the others.

But if the car Ferrari produce is a clear third best on all tracks they will have taken a massive step imo to becoming a consistent podium threat again.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 10:15 PM, Chip Kelly said:

Most exciting part of F1 this season to me is the return of the rivalry of Hamilton vs Verstappen.

Hopefully Red Bull have a car as capable to fight Mercedes because you know they will be right there at the top new regulations aside.

This is a big year for Charles Leclerc he has to clean up some of the mistakes he makes in qualifying and the races and show he is the better driver in comparison to his young challengers George Russel and Lando Norris.

Ferrari is a team to watch they have been looking for an "agressive design" to try to get an early leg up and have been taking ideas from former Mercedes and RedBull personnel to try to catch up to their rivals at the front of the pack.

I would be shocked if Ferrari can compete with Mercedes or RedBull off the bat. The engine and chassis of those teams as well as the pit crew and overall team consistency are so far ahead of the others.

But if the car Ferrari produce is a clear third best on all tracks they will have taken a massive step imo to becoming a consistent podium threat again.

F1 is back BABY!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Race goes live in 1 hour down under in Melbourne at Albert Park!

Let's hope for another great start and battles throughout with a great finish the last 20 laps like the last 2 races.

Possiblity of safety cars to shake up the order.

Who can control their cars the best to keep them from bouncing I am interested to see.

Can Carlos Sainz a victim of bad luck last night starting P9 bounce back to finish in 4th?

Hoping for Leclerc vs Verstappen round 3 tonight!!

@MaxVerstappen33

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Green Building said:

Lol @ bad luck having wached Imola last weekend. 

Ferrari need him to wakeup. Red Bull is back and Mercedes-Benz won't accept being doormats the entire season. I am sure Merc will be more competitive down the stretch when it matters most after they have the summer break to take a hard look at things.

As a Ferrari fan, hoping Sainz finds his rhythm in Miami next weekend at a brand new track with a welcoming Latin vibe to calm him down after two disastrous results.

They need him to compete with Perez so Leclerc can focus on Versappen.