The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Brock just another version of Pearson?

Rate this topic

Fen1010

12 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I'd give him 4 max. Canucks have a huge tendency to overpay every dmen in their system. If he was consistent he could make 5 but some nights he handles it like a hand grenade. If Tanev is wroth 4 million ain't no way I'd pay more than that. 

True story.   Myers leads the team in plus minus since Bruce took over.   And is miles ahead of the next D on the team (that's Schenn) and the next player period (that's Garland).    Chaos Giraffe might not be for everyone, but he is playing against the very very best in the league - night in night out (QHs is now too - but he get the O-zone time NOT OEL and Myers still).... Tanev ... well let's just wait and see if he gets past the 70 game mark.   Only done it once in his career.     CAL is on a mission right now that's for sure, and love Tanev - he was the guy JB miffed on absolutely.     Not sure where Myers is at now - but was plus 16 at the 32 game mark with Bruce.    At that rate he'd pass Ward, Murzyn and Hank for the best plus minus in club history.  

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

True story.   Myers leads the team in plus minus since Bruce took over.   And is miles ahead of the next D on the team (that's Schenn) and the next player period (that's Garland).    Chaos Giraffe might not be for everyone, but he is playing against the very very best in the league - night in night out (QHs is now too - but he get the O-zone time NOT OEL and Myers still).... Tanev ... well let's just wait and see if he gets past the 70 game mark.   Only done it once in his career.     CAL is on a mission right now that's for sure, and love Tanev - he was the guy JB miffed on absolutely.     Not sure where Myers is at now - but was plus 16 at the 32 game mark with Bruce.    At that rate he'd pass Ward, Murzyn and Hank for the best plus minus in club history.  

Those who cant see how valuable myers is to us arent watching close enough.   Oel / myers are the closest thing weve had to a 2 way shutdown pair since Tanev / Edler.  Quality dmen who can log big minutes every night, be leaders and physical dont grow on trees.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

On 3/13/2022 at 12:35 AM, Ferlands_Head said:

Exactly, If you look at the goals from his rookie season his release is lightning fast, he's got more foot speed and is creating chances on his own. 

2:10 Automatic goal from this spot - This season right into the crest.

Check out that release at 4:25 - This season Boeser doesn't score that. 

6:20 and check out his hand eye and release 

7:46 He beats Strahlman wide and snipes it, doesn't have that kind of speed anymore

8:53 check out that extra move he does to open him up for that insane shot

We haven't seen this BB since his rookie season. Maybe it's the 20lbs he put on, maybe he's damaged good we don't know. All I know is he's not the same player. 

There's nothing there in speed which he doesn't have now.... he is not slower.

What he is doing now is telegraphing his shot... just like he did back then, and because everyone in the league is familiar with his style and knows how well he can shoot, they are on him right away.

He needs to get off his shot faster... no more of his characteristic shrug of the shoulder to get behind the puck and get more on it... he needs to just release it... immediately.  Time and space is at a premium in this league...  anyone who hesitates gets blocked or stick checked.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, IBatch said:

Or Zezel...  66 career games, +18.  Semenov, 62 games and +21.

And the much maligned Nolan Baumgartner.  99 games, +25.

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

There's nothing there in speed which he doesn't have now.... he is not slower.

What he is doing now is telegraphing his shot... just like he did back then, and because everyone in the league is familiar with his style and knows how well he can shoot, they are on him right away.

He needs to get off his shot faster... no more of his characteristic shrug of the shoulder to get behind the puck and get more on it... he needs to just release it... immediately.  Time and space is at a premium in this league...  anyone who hesitates gets blocked or stick checked.

He's skilled and young enough to get his mojo back.  Last season he was very good for us and earning his current contract.   Not sure what sort of bargaining power he's earning right now - but feel on a long term deal he's lost a lot of it.   Who's that guy in SJ that scored 56 or so goals one year, then lasted only a couple more seasons in the league and sent to Ottawa?   Don't remember lol.   Thornton was just that good i suppose.   Brock is putting himself in a lower tier of players at the moment.   He's still playing against the best of the best.   Goalies all learn shooters tendencies ... and defensemen too.   Brock just needs to be unpredictable and work on his skating, and his defensive game as well.   If he manages that he should get another 8 years or so in this league which is something special. 

4 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Or Zezel...  66 career games, +18.  Semenov, 62 games and +21.

And the much maligned Nolan Baumgartner.  99 games, +25.

Peter Zezel.   Was actually excited when we got him.   Built like a square,  makes Horvat look like a skinny teenager.   Crazy good in the dot.   Unfortunately Keenan wouldn't let Burke expose him in the ED, so we lost Walker instead.    It was the last time Burke let his coach make a decision on the teams make up - and did it only because Keenan was adamant we needed him for our bottom six and there was no denying we did.   Just didn't have the rest of the package at the time to go with it. 

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Peter Zezel.   Was actually excited when we got him.   Built like a square,  makes Horvat look like a skinny teenager.   Crazy good in the dot.   Unfortunately Keenan wouldn't let Burke expose him in the ED, so we lost Walker instead.    It was the last time Burke let his coach make a decision on the teams make up - and did it only because Keenan was adamant we needed him for our bottom six and there was no denying we did.   Just didn't have the rest of the package at the time to go with it. 

Yeah between Zezel, Craven, Bridgman and Rich Sutter, we got our hands on some of that classic 80s Flyers lineup.

I had hopes for Zezel too...but it was kind of like Mike Ridley or Esa Tikkanen or Ryan Walter...just kind of a cup of coffee at the end.  I was happy to get all those guys...even Eric Weinrich at the time...but I've got a soft spot for old veterans.  Zezel did have a very good rest of the season when we first acquired him.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah between Zezel, Craven, Bridgman and Rich Sutter, we got our hands on some of that classic 80s Flyers lineup.

I had hopes for Zezel too...but it was kind of like Mike Ridley or Esa Tikkanen or Ryan Walter...just kind of a cup of coffee at the end.  I was happy to get all those guys...even Eric Weinrich at the time...but I've got a soft spot for old veterans.  Zezel did have a very good rest of the season when we first acquired him.

I really was happy to have Ryan Walter.   That team had leadership in spades right through the lineup.   Also felt it helped with Smyl.    A team needs a vets like them to win a cup, or help a core that's emerging succeed.   

Edit:  Right now or recently it's guys like Thornton, Spezza, Perry and Staal that are floating around for their swan songs...hard not to root for guys like them.   Even if both Thornton and Perry were thorns in our side at certain points. 

Edit:  Would anyone be surprised to see Staal sign a deal with TB?   I sure wouldn't.   Or COL. 

Edited by IBatch

40 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I really was happy to have Ryan Walter.   That team had leadership in spades right through the lineup.   Also felt it helped with Smyl.    A team needs a vets like them to win a cup, or help a core that's emerging succeed.   

Edit:  Right now or recently it's guys like Thornton, Spezza, Perry and Staal that are floating around for their swan songs...hard not to root for guys like them.   Even if both Thornton and Perry were thorns in our side at certain points. 

The veteran leadership on the 89 and 90 teams was off the charts.

89: Smyl, Mel Bridgman, Reinhart, Snepsts, Pederson, Butcher (was there for the 82 run) + Tanti, Skriko, Steve Weeks

90: Smyl, Larionov, Krutov, Reinhart, Dan Quinn, Butcher, Rich Sutter, Andrew McBain, Pederson, Snepsts + Tanti, Skriko, Steve Weeks

Yeah I eventually come around on almost all of the old enemies when they're in their final years.  Not Messier or Marchand though.  Every other old Flame, Oiler, Ranger and Islander no problem.  I was even sad to see Jamie Macoun and Ric Nattress retire.

And enjoyed Jim Peplinski's little Claude Lemieux / Guy Lafleur style comeback in the mid 90s I think it was.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

On 3/10/2022 at 7:38 AM, CanucksJay said:

That line of Pearson Miller Boeser was good earlier in the year and it seems they are clicking again

Re-uniting them does appear to be a factor in Boeser regaining his scoring touch.

regards,  G.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

I really liked zezel.  I remember something good always happening with him on the ice.  Solid two way player that always handled the puck well. Was really sad to hear when he passed away.