The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

To what end though?   Who's replacing Myers?  Dermott?  Poolman?   Nobody left RHD to be excited about this free agent market - it would only work if we also made another trade with one of our best players think EP, Miller or Horvat ... Pearson lol did he waive? 

Moving Myers and Pearson will require we take back contracts, no?  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Moving Myers and Pearson will require we take back contracts, no?  

Yes and what sort of garbage leftovers would that be?   Sure gives us a little extra cap but for whom exactly?   Myers would be fine if the cap kept going up ... Pearson's cap hit was signed knowing it's not.    One of our better 5 x 5 guys.   Not that easy to find via free agency.   Myers good luck with that we simply won't find that on the market this year and probably next year too (UFA). 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Motte well go to free agency and sign a 3 year deal at 1.7 to 2 mil per.  

Yes and wouldn't that be great if we re-signed him lol...the Dermott trade just freed up the cap for that ... what was he making this year?  1.5? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Yes and what sort of garbage leftovers would that be?   Sure gives us a little extra cap but for whom exactly?   Myers would be fine if the cap kept going up ... Pearson's cap hit was signed knowing it's not.    One of our better 5 x 5 guys.   Not that easy to find via free agency.   Myers good luck with that we simply won't.   

maybe the team is actually planning on taking a couple steps back?  Bottom feed for a couple years with lots of cap and add young guys, prospects, and picks?  

I don't see our owner just won't do it though.  Drance is saying exactly this on 650.  Our owner will not allow us to go deep enough in a retool let alone rebuild.  

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

maybe the team is actually planning on taking a couple steps back?  Bottom feed for a couple years with lots of cap and add young guys, prospects, and picks?  

I don't see our owner just won't do it though.  Drance is saying exactly this on 650.  Our owner will not allow us to go deep enough in a retool let alone rebuild.  

I don't know.   I wouldn't trust that too much (Drance), why would the owner allow management to balloon (that's profits gone) and not listen to what they have to say?   Seems very counterintuitive.    Feel that the team wants another year with a similar lineup to see how things go with Bruce at the helm.    All things being equal - by the end of the season we will either just make or just miss the playoffs ... however all things being equal next season we'd be comfortably in the number two spot and challenging for first in our division.     If we slip badly the rest of the year that gives management some idea of what to do in the summer - if we stay the course (.670ish winning percentage let's say) then they can let things play out next year with some confidence.    Allvin says he wants a winner and a regular playoff team for years - not just a chance here and there.   Seems like we should trade Miller and or Brock (like to see what his contract is like first - pretty sure the team would do a 25ish million dollar deal which is fine, wants more then arbitration time)...

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That sure would be a bone-head move.   To me Mottes writing was on the wall as soon as we signed Dickinson.   Rather have Motte - that said Motte doesn't play a full season often and likely never will.   Dickinson has a lot to prove next year as does Poolman but to a lesser degree.   We are stuck with them unless they play well, which in that case nobody would want to trade them lol.   Richardson is a decent enough patch job.   Personally don't really mind that we weren't sellers, because obviously the returns weren't close to worth it.   Or we'd have made the moves.    And more then anything glad we didn't pay to clear cap.    Managed to get a little younger on the D and reduce the cap by 2.25ish IF Motte is replaced with a league min deal.    That little flexibility isn't so bad.   We didn't have the space for Motte really , well maybe if we made a boneheaded bad return trade for someone else.   

For sure, people need to realize there is a lot of Motte's in this league...no disrespect to Motte I loved him and he was a hardworking reliable player for us but they weren't going to get a deal done so they didn't let him walk for nothing. It's easier to find a hard working, checking 3rd/4th line player than other positions. If this team developed players properly in the AHL, we would normally have a young, eager player to come up and take his spot...but this team has done a terrible job at that hence why they need to grab a player like Richardson. I see Lockwood getting a look too before seasons end. 

The off season will be busy and I think that's where this new management group will make most of their changes. Almost guaranteed there will be changes coming, they will move Boeser if they can't get a deal done for a value and term that makes sense to them...I don't see them breaking the bank for Brock, they'll offer him what they think he is worth to the team of trade him if it's rejected. The blue line should be overhauled as well if they can do it. I would also say there is a good chance Poolman isn't on the team next year, if they have an opportunity to shed his $2.5 million they will. I've seen enough of Poolman play and have seen him scratched enough times that it's pretty clear this team does not need him nor is he likely to make it after the re-tool this off season. Dermott, Schenn and Burroughs are likely ahead of him in the depth chart, even if he's healthy. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

For sure, people need to realize there is a lot of Motte's in this league...no disrespect to Motte I loved him and he was a hardworking reliable player for us but they weren't going to get a deal done so they didn't let him walk for nothing. It's easier to find a hard working, checking 3rd/4th line player than other positions. If this team developed players proprly in the AHL, we would normally have a young, eager player to come up and take his spot...but this team has done a terrible job at that hence why they need to grab a player like Richardson. I see Lockwood getting a look too before seasons end. 

The off season will be busy and I think that's where this new management group will make most of their changes. Almost guaranteed there will be changes coming, they will move Boeser if they can't get a deal done for a value and term that makes sense to them...I don't see them breaking the bank for Brock, they'll offer him what they think he is worth to the team of trade him if it's rejected. The blue line should be overhauled as well if they can do it. I would also say there is a good chance Poolman isn't on the team next year, if they have an opportunity to shed his $2.5 million they will. I've seen enough of Poolman play and have seen him scratched enough times that it's pretty clear this team does not need him nor is he likely to make it after the re-tool this off season. Dermott, Schenn and Burroughs are likely ahead of him in the depth chart, even if he's healthy. 

Poolman and Dickie will end up in the AHL if they don't improve as soon as we have some new players to try out... We won't trade them to save cap.   And if they can't make our lineup nobody is picking them up for free either.     They will just become expensive depth guys.   Dickie for sure has been given every chance this season, for whatever reason it just hasn't worked out for us which is really too bad - he was good in Dallas (not as a center i never saw him as a third line player - just a Motte 2.0, a guy who could play on a third line and not hurt you, and as a winger on the PK...bet Motte Sutter Dickie could have been amazing for us)...  They do have a lot of work to do no doubt.   They've given the team a tiny chance to make the playoffs.   Didn't add thank god, for the cost of more futures...not selling to me says the market wasn't that interested in our guys to the point it was worth it.   I'm not sure we will see a lot of changes this off-season IF this team can keep up Bruce's winning percentage.   If they blow another tire then i see a lot of changes too. 

8 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yeah that sounds pretty realistic and reasonable.

Would be funny if he came back and signed for 200-500k more per year for 3 years wouldn't it?    That Dermott deal allowed for that possibility. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Also i don't think that management thinks our team is that bad.   At least yet.     Demko and QHs makes a window for us ... whether they try to open it next season or two years down the road is their metrics.   Personally feel the higher draft pick we get this year the better - but they didn't do anything to deliberately tank.   Richardson/Dermott vs Hamonic/Motte.   Not much.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, IBatch said:

To what end though?   Who's replacing Myers?  Dermott?  Poolman?   Nobody left RHD to be excited about this free agent market - it would only work if we also made another trade with one of our best players think EP, Miller or Horvat ... Pearson lol did he waive?  Also won't replace Pearson's cap hit either - not likely via free agency.   Dickinson...not making much less really look how that's gone for us.   Pearson is producing above his pay since he was re-signed as a UFA.   Don't mind trading him later if it's part of something else though. 

If you look at the list of UFA defenseman next season, wouldn't' be too too difficult to replace Myers with a similar cap hit. Myers has his moments, but his moments are both good and horrendous. I've heard him be referred to as the Chaos Giraffe which made me LOL. I'm not going to say he's not worth his $6m cap hit but cause the price for d-men keeps going up but it's a pretty big number too.. RHD is where the point is, they are becoming increasingly hard to find. It make it more sour when you look at the play of our blue line the last stretch of 3-4 games, they have been god awful...which is frustrating considering they are one of the highest paid units in the league....it just doesn't make sense. 

JR and PA do not like the fact that this team is up against the cap and yet misses the playoffs consistently. They will make it their priority to create cap room so they can make moves to improve the team...can't improve the team with no money to spend. 

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

If you look at the list of UFA defenseman next season, wouldn't' be too too difficult to replace Myers with a similar cap hit. Myers has his moments, but his moments are both good and horrendous. I've heard him be referred to as the Chaos Giraffe which made me LOL. I'm not going to say he's not worth his $6m cap hit but cause the price for d-men keeps going up but it's a pretty big number too.. RHD is where the point is, they are becoming increasingly hard to find. It make it more sour when you look at the play of our blue line the last stretch of 3-4 games, they have been god awful...which is frustrating considering they are one of the highest paid units in the league....it just doesn't make sense. 

JR and PA do not like the fact that this team is up against the cap and yet misses the playoffs consistently. They will make it their priority to create cap room so they can make moves to improve the team...can't improve the team with no money to spend. 

Most of those guys won't make it to market though....although we do need to replace him.   Highest bidder usually wins when it comes to UFAs...

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Very true, it will be a smaller list come FA period. 

I wanted Hamilton badly lol.   Look at Josi this year ... man.   Those guys are worth their paycheques but so very hard to get.   AP/Hamilton ... they don't go to market often that's for sure. 

Edit: In the end you need to draft them.    And they take time.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

Very true, it will be a smaller list come FA period. 

I'm hopeful this new management doesn't have direction from our owner to use free agency as a method to correct not having young (and cheap) players coming up. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm hopeful this new management doesn't have direction from our owner to use free agency as a method to correct not having young (and cheap) players coming up. 

They made a change.   They'd look like some sort of fools if we just kept up the same stuff we did under JB.   JB should have let the team tank properly and saved cap.   He didn't do either because of his big four picks.   Demko/BB/EP/QHs .... Linden also had zero interest in watching the Sedins not have a chance either.   

Edit:  Linden didn't at the start but believe he wised up to it. 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

100% agree, we have to draft and develop talent without rushing them up as well as find some hidden gems from Europe and the NCAA which we've had some recent prospects come through.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

That sure would be a bone-head move.   To me Mottes writing was on the wall as soon as we signed Dickinson.   Rather have Motte - that said Motte doesn't play a full season often and likely never will.   Dickinson has a lot to prove next year as does Poolman but to a lesser degree.   We are stuck with them unless they play well, which in that case nobody would want to trade them lol.   Richardson is a decent enough patch job.   Personally don't really mind that we weren't sellers, because obviously the returns weren't close to worth it.   Or we'd have made the moves.    And more then anything glad we didn't pay to clear cap.    Managed to get a little younger on the D and reduce the cap by 2.25ish IF Motte is replaced with a league min deal.    That little flexibility isn't so bad.   We didn't have the space for Motte really , well maybe if we made a boneheaded bad return trade for someone else.   

There is one huge factor as fans is that we do not know what was offered for our players. As fans we over value worth or under value other teams players worth. We make trade situations that are not realistic and then are upset when those trade ideas do not happen. Assumptions are made about the timing or missed opportunities, but again we not not know what has or was offered during anytime line.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1