The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Sheldon Dries, Guillaume Brisebois, John Stevens

10 hours ago, JamesB said:

As Dries was one of the top players in the AHL last year and surprisingly good when called up as an injury replacement it was always obvious that the Canucks wanted to bring him back. He is a classic type -- star at the AHL level but not quite good enough offensively to play top 6 in the NHL but too small and without the other attributes you need to play bottom 6 in the NHL. Having turned 28 in late April he has probably hit his peak level of performance but if Abby is going to be a Calder Cup contender he will be an important part of the story and he is a good guy to have around as potential emergency callup, as happened last year. From his point of view,  the AHL part of his two-way deal at $450 K is pretty good and is guaranteed for two years.

I was wondering if the Canucks would bring back Brisebois one more time.  It is only a one-year deal so this is probably his last kick at the can. I remember when the Canucks drafted him in the 3rd round in 2015. Benning was taking some criticism for having traded away their 2nd round pick that year but Linden claimed that Brisbois was the guy they would have taken if they had a 2nd round pick.  He is fairly low on the depth chart at LD but let's hope he stays healthy and can take that one more step to get him into the conversation for a spot on the big team.  

Stevens is a career AHL player. As far I can find out at age 28 he has never played an NHL game, but he is a good AHL player who brings some size and toughness and good defensive play along with legitimate top 6 scoring (at the AHL level) and excellent PK skills. Wore an "A" last year for Abby. He looks to me like the kind of player who might get an AHL contract but obviously the Canucks think he is good enough to justify an NHL contract. Maybe next year he actually gets into an NHL game. Like Dries, he could be very valuable if Abby is to be a Calder Cup contender.  

The big question marks are now Rempal and Juulsen -- both UFAs who were very good in Abby last year. I would like to see them both come back and they would also be important to have a good Abby team next year.  And a lot of people think Juulsen, as a RD and former 1st round pick (26th overall), might still be able to help the big team. At age 25 he might have one more significant step left in his development. Anyway, hoping to see both those guys re-signed. 

I really liked how Juulsen played when he got called up for 8 NHL games.He kept his game simple and made some big hits..Juulsen 25, 6'2, 205 Big stay at home D man I could see him being #7 guy

• Cheers 1

Well deserved raise for Dries. Wonder if this means other Sheldon is not coming back with no news.

John Stevens had a huge 2-way centre year last year. Always been a good defensive C in the AHL but more than doubled his point total last year. Would love to see him get a game or two next year in the NHL. Also got a minimum 80k raise.

Sad to see Sautner go, he's reliable in his position, but is replaceable. Has been with the org since 2015.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:08 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Sheldon Dries' contract details:

That’s a fairly high AHL salary. But he’s one of the best players down there, so it’s a good investment, him helping the kids develop.