The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Best Way Forward

26 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree OEL is still a decent D man playing a different role in Vancouver.. He plays shut down role up against other teams best players and not get much PP time unless Hughes is hurt.. OEL solid #2 - #3 D man should be in the 6 million Dollar range ..OEL would be 37--44 point guy with. PP time..

Benning should of had Arizona retain 2 million with all the term on OEL contract..

Arizona were so lucky the player they wanted to traded would only agree to 2 teams Vancouver or Boston? 

We dump 3 bad salaries for 1 season and also trade 1st rounder top ten, 2nd rounder and 7th RD --

Return OEL 7.2 X 6 yrs -- Garland 25...I do like OEL should of been 6 million  -- Garland should be a 20-25 G--55--65 point guy for next 5 yrs

Arizona really won this deal....

I'll need to see Dylan Guenther become a 30.goal scorer in the NHL before I proclaim that Arizona won the deal. 

He certainly had a great year in the WHL. 

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

you could do a one year tank though. If they did jettison Miller, Bo, Boeser, Myers, Pearson, Garland there would be a lot of 1sts in 2023 and maybe 24, and some really interesting offer sheet opportunities. 

I don't think this is in the cards at all, but with both Bo and Miller in their last years and Boeser an RFA the timing is certainly there for it if they wanted to. 

IF we traded all those guys man the return would be something else.   Not sure we'd have an easy time retaining EP but who knows.   We'd pretty much have to do that to go into full tank mode ... it's definitely an option.   But that's going to be about how severe and deep we'd have to cut into our roster to achieve good odds at Bedard and whomever is next.   Demko.   Man poor Demko.   Feel they will make some trades but not go that far.   It's really tough to know what is the correct course of action.   I'd actually be ok with that if they wanted to go there ... but also sad at the same time. 

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Muttley said:

Good post. I basically agree totally. Your top three lines are solid and with Bruce at the helm, can win us plenty of games. There is some work to be done 

on the structure of the defense. It would / will, be challenging to move Myers. Not impossible, just a matter of having the ability to wait till the right situation 

manifests itself. We will need some sand paper back though. The SCF showed us how important that element is. It's also important to remember what condition

this team was in when Boudreau took over. Discomposure comes to mind. Wonder what would / could have been had he had the squad from training camp?

Our Goals Against as a whole were not bad. We were one of the best 5 v 5 teams, if it wasn't for our PK being trash we could have been top 5 in Goals Against last year.

If im Bruce use OEL and Hughes interchangeably between PP1 and PP2 depending on how it looks each game.

Its harder to kill against us when you have Petey ripping 100 mph shots , Boeser on the left and OEL at the quarterback shooting. Heck I would consider having Miller in the key with Pearson.

Horvat Garland Kuzmenko Podkolzin and Hoglander can play PP2 with OEL, Hughes.

Give Rathbone time too if someone else is out. We have options just have to deploy it well.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, IBatch said:

IF we traded all those guys man the return would be something else.   Not sure we'd have an easy time retaining EP but who knows.   We'd pretty much have to do that to go into full tank mode ... it's definitely an option.   But that's going to be about how severe and deep we'd have to cut into our roster to achieve good odds at Bedard and whomever is next.   Demko.   Man poor Demko.   Feel they will make some trades but not go that far.   It's really tough to know what is the correct course of action.   I'd actually be ok with that if they wanted to go there ... but also sad at the same time. 

yep its not an easy call. 

My main issue with moving Miller has always been I don't think it will be nearly enough on its own to make a huge impact. I'm still in the support the current group or go tankeroo as Alf says and move those 6 guys. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, JM_ said:

yep its not an easy call. 

My main issue with moving Miller has always been I don't think it will be nearly enough on its own to make a huge impact. I'm still in the support the current group or go tankeroo as Alf says and move those 6 guys. 

Good stuff.   As long as we don't go busteroo on the tankeroo for sure it's one avenue.   I really have no clue what the best course of action is.   Just feel that we are in a tough spot and changes need to be made.   Felt JB was always half measures and that stuck us where we ended up.   Best case, maybe we can be a top 8 team (core ascension).    Best case.    Kind of a tough pill to swallow for younger fans growing up with the WCE era and Sedin era no doubt.    I just want to win a cup.    And if that means pull it apart then so be it.  I'm not so sure given parity ... have a strong feeling that playoff reps are more important now then ever.    Why i'm ok with just playing the team from last season and let the chips fall where they go .... one playoff run with Miller again is price paid in full.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

21 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

A full blown rebuild won't be possible if we're holding onto Petey, Hughes and especially Demko. 

I think you’re right, it shouldn’t be a full blown rebuild but maybe a retool. Having at least 2 additional first round picks and 2nd round picks over these next two drafts could help immensely in restocking the prospect pool. We have 2/3 of an effective 4th-line in Lammikko and Lockwood so essentially we’d be building our D, a third line and our left side. I’m sure trading Miller, Horvat, Boeser, Hoglander and Garland would go a long way in retooling this team the right way focusing on speed, size and skill.

Colorado drafted 6 players on their cup winning roster and I believe Tampa has around the same, we already have 4 in Hughes, Pettersson, Demko and Podkolzin (the core four moving forward) + Kuzmenko. These next two drafts could add to those 4+1 and with the right prospects, young roster players traded for, in addition to the extra picks, we would be sitting pretty not only for the immediate future but also long term. 

Edited by Doogie
Changes mades

11 hours ago, JM_ said:

you could do a one year tank though. If they did jettison Miller, Bo, Boeser, Myers, Pearson, Garland there would be a lot of 1sts in 2023 and maybe 24, and some really interesting offer sheet opportunities. 

I don't think this is in the cards at all, but with both Bo and Miller in their last years and Boeser an RFA the timing is certainly there for it if they wanted to. 

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

I don't see how management gets fiscally responsible without going full rebuild & need to tank for elite talent. Weaponize cap space by taking on expiring contracts for assets and then deal them for picks at the trade deadline.

Then build up through the draft getting that elite talent and use some of the picks to take advantage of cap strapped teams.

We need to get Manson and Zadarov, our new Dirk and Babych duo, and subtract the Myers contract. Two new defensive defenseman make up for the loss of Myers. OEL we keep as pp insurance. Bottom pairing will be Dermott,  Schenn, Poolman (ir?) 

7 dman Rathbone 

Edited by Hairy Kneel