The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal - Vancouver/Montreal

Since there is a rumour that Montreal is interested in DiPietro... what is a nice proposal that helps us out?

I say something like:

Hoglander
DiPietro
Some other piece (Pearson/Dickenson/later pick/B level prospect)

for
Dvorak
2nd round pick

Montreal can slot Wright into that protected C spot next season, we get a high end 3C who is right in our proper age range.

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t Dvorak a cap dump?  

No… he is maybe a little overpaid.

He is a 3C that can bring secondary offence as well as PK.  He is also the right age range.

if we effectively swap out Hoglander and Dickenson for Dvorak and Kuzmenko at similar total cap hits… plus get a 2nd rounder.  That would count as a decent win to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Montreal gave up a 1st in this years draft for Dvorak.  Asking for him and a 2nd for a bunch of spare parts they don’t need doesn’t seem like hood value for them.  He performed much better under MSL and I think they’ll be happy to keep him over what’s being offered. 

Edited by qwijibo

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

No… he is maybe a little overpaid.

He is a 3C that can bring secondary offence as well as PK.  He is also the right age range.

if we effectively swap out Hoglander and Dickenson for Dvorak and Kuzmenko at similar total cap hits… plus get a 2nd rounder.  That would count as a decent win to me.

Well, the Habs don’t have any quality young goalies.  And Dvorak is overpaid.  So maybe it’s a straight line be for one?  

Dipietro for Dvorak?  We could include Pearson to balance the cap better?  

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal gave up a 1st in this years draft for Dvorak.  Asking for him and a 2nd for a bunch of spare parts they don’t need doesn’t seem like hood value for them.  He performed much better under MSL and I think they’ll be happy to keep him over what’s being offered. 

A lot of rumours about him being actively shopped by Montreal.  He has trade protection that kicks in this coming season and if they intend on pickling Wright… they will need to move him.

He is overpaid for a 3C, but isn’t a 2C… so it isn’t like he is a remarkable asset teams are going to be giving up much for.  Overpaid guys have their trade value significantly diminished.  It is a perfectly fair offer.

They get a cheaper version in Dickenson plus a young scoring winger who will come in pretty cheap… add in a goalie prospect they are interested in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

A lot of rumours about him being actively shopped by Montreal.  He has trade protection that kicks in this coming season and if they intend on pickling Wright… they will need to move him.

He is overpaid for a 3C, but isn’t a 2C… so it isn’t like he is a remarkable asset teams are going to be giving up much for.  Overpaid guys have their trade value significantly diminished.  It is a perfectly fair offer.

They get a cheaper version in Dickenson plus a young scoring winger who will come in pretty cheap… add in a goalie prospect they are interested in.

I follow pretty much every reputable writer that covers the Habs and I haven’t seen any talk about him being shopped.  That said I don’t think what you’re offering would hold any interest to Montreal

Wright may not even be who they select.  They may go with Slafkovsky.  Even if they do go with Wright there’s nothing saying he has to be put at C right away. A lot of young centres start their NHL careers on the wing until they’re ready to take over at C. 

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

That was last summer when they were just coming off a Stanley Cup final appearance.  Some of it had to do with also saving face by finding a young replacement center for Kotkaniemi.  

I honestly would think twice about acquiring Dvorak at 4.5 mil/year.  We need a cheaper option at center.  

From Montreal's point of view, they probably wouldn't include a draft pick.  Hoglander and DiPietro would be fair value in exchange for Dvorak.  

Reminder that Hoglander is 21, Dvorak is 26.  Dvorak has managed a career high of 38 points, Hoglander had 27 in the shortened season.  One could argue that Hoglander is just as valuable of an asset as Dvorak but next season will tell us a lot more about that. 

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I follow pretty much every reputable writer that covers the Habs and I haven’t seen any talk about him being shopped.  That said I don’t think what you’re offering would hold any interest to Montreal

Wright may not even be who they select.  They may go with Slafkovsky.  Even if they do go with Wright there’s nothing saying he has to be put at C right away. A lot of young centres start their NHL careers on the wing until they’re ready to take over at C. 

Jimmy Murphy, Montreal Hockey Now is one of them.

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/05/23/nhl-trade-should-canadiens-target-kirby-dach-on-nhl-trade-market/

As mentioned, maybe in an ideal world they keep Dvorak for a year to insulate Wright... but he gets trade protection and is harder to move after then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Jimmy Murphy, Montreal Hockey Now is one of them.

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/05/23/nhl-trade-should-canadiens-target-kirby-dach-on-nhl-trade-market/

As mentioned, maybe in an ideal world they keep Dvorak for a year to insulate Wright... but he gets trade protection and is harder to move after then.

Doesn’t seem like a great source. Regardless. The offered return plus the expectation to have Montreal add a 2nd doesn’t feel worth it to Montreal.  Hoglander is the only interesting piece and he had a pretty tough sophomore year. 

7 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Doesn’t seem like a great source. Regardless. The offered return plus the expectation to have Montreal add a 2nd doesn’t feel worth it to Montreal.  Hoglander is the only interesting piece and he had a pretty tough sophomore year. 

Over 21,200 followers on Twitter... he isn't some nobody.  He also isn't saying it is speculation, he is saying he has heard from sources that Dvorak's name is out there.

He is well enough followed that other sports writers picked up and quoted him.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

Over 21,200 followers on Twitter... he isn't some nobody.  He also isn't saying it is speculation, he is saying he has heard from sources that Dvorak's name is out there.

And I says regardless of if the rumours of him being shopped are accurate or not. Montreal is giving up too much and not getting enough in return.  

Hoglander has promise but struggled last year.  Depietro is an AHL level goalie.  The other pieces you suggested bring no value to a rebuilding team. 

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

You’re doing an excellent job holding up our side against a Habs’ fan.  Your suggested trade is actually more than fair.  And that Hab’s fan cutting down our young players is wrong.  Dipietro is a highly regarded goalie.  And Hogs might have more value (considering age and contract) than Dvorak by himself. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

You’re doing an excellent job holding up our side against a Habs’ fan.  Your suggested trade is actually more than fair.  And that Hab’s fan cutting down our young players is wrong.  Dipietro is a highly regarded goalie.  And Hogs might have more value (considering age and contract) than Dvorak by himself. 

I don't know if it is fair or not for sure or if either side would contemplate it... but he first said he follows every reputable writer and there are no rumours at all... then when I show an actual link and he just dismisses the Editor in Chief with a large following of one of the Montreal publications as not reputable.  Then he just moves on to another random argument about his feelings.

Friedman has also reported that they are shopping him and some other vets.  The different rumours have been carried on many sites, so it would actually be difficult to miss them if someone was paying any attention.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/article/32-thoughts-whats-up-with-every-team-heading-into-the-nhl-draft/

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I don't know if it is fair or not for sure or if either side would contemplate it... but he first said he follows every reputable writer and there are no rumours at all... then when I show an actual link and he just dismisses the Editor in Chief with a large following of one of the Montreal publications as not reputable.  Then he just moves on to another random argument about his feelings.

Habs fan on our board.  He’s going to view things through that lens.  And your trade idea is very fair.  Personally, I don’t want to add Dvorak - because of his contract.  But if we can get off of Dickinson in the deal, then it makes more sense, which you suggested.  

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

I said pretty much every.  I missed this guy.  You said there’s a lot of rumours of him being shopped and provided one half assed example.  I haven’t seen any from any of the other big guys I do follow.  

Bottom line.  I dont see a fit or value for Montreal.  We disagree.  That’s fine. 

edit

in a search of Twitter just now I see his name is, in fact starting to pop up today.  So I’ll concede that point.  

Thst doesn’t change my view of the proposal 

Edited by qwijibo

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Since there is a rumour that Montreal is interested in DiPietro... what is a nice proposal that helps us out?

I say something like:

Hoglander
DiPietro

for
Dvorak
2nd round pick

Montreal can slot Wright into that protected C spot next season, we get a high end 3C who is right in our proper age range.

how much cap space do we gain?

8 hours ago, smithers joe said:

how much cap space do we gain?

None… we end up with a better player and a 2nd round pick that hopefully eventually gets us a cheap ELC player to help with cap space in 3-4 years when our kids are all right in their prime.

12 hours ago, Provost said:

I say something like:

Hoglander
DiPietro

for
Dvorak
2nd round pick

Much rather get Anderson.

We could work out our 3C 9among other issues) with a Miller trade.