The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Those two years at almost $5 is really rough. Hate the buyout too, but it's OEL's fault for not preparing himself properly and being his best. Lazy.

Scary thought trading away the #11, but I guess it could happen? If they feel they could get a youngish RD partner for Hughes they might feel that's more valuable that a prospect that may or may not make the NHL one day. 

I don't know if we're even in a position where we can trade draft picks. By the time the OEL recapture penalty goes up, we are going to need those ELC contracts more than anything in the world.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

The more I think about it, the more it wouldn't surprise me if the Canucks traded the #11 to fix the D. They're not going to get a top pairing RD by trading Boeser or Garland straight up. Maybe they trade down?

This is currently the Canucks D, and there was even talk of trading Myers. 

Hughes - Hronek

Brisebois - Myers

Wolanin - Juulsen

Hirose

(LTIR - Bear, Poolman)

Pretty terrible, and the goal is to make the playoffs. Not making it again under this management's regime would be a complete failure and heavily scrutinized. Playoffs is a must next season.

But how do they get into the playoffs with that D core? They could re-sign Burroughs and even Schenn, but that's not good enough. 

Hypothetical:

to NSH - Boeser and #11

to VAN - Fabbro and #15

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I don't know if we're even in a position where we can trade draft picks. By the time the OEL recapture penalty goes up, we are going to need those ELC contracts more than anything in the world.

Exactly. The no plan day to day Benning is gone. We have competent management again. They have a plan. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The more I think about it, the more it wouldn't surprise me if the Canucks traded the #11 to fix the D. They're not going to get a top pairing RD by trading Boeser or Garland straight up. Maybe they trade down?

Hughes - Hronek

Brisebois - Myers

Wolanin - Juulsen

Hirose

(LTIR - Bear, Poolman)

Pretty terrible, and the goal is to make the playoffs. Not making it again under this management's regime would be a complete failure and heavily scrutinized. Playoffs is a must next season.

But how do they get into the playoffs with that D core? They could re-sign Burroughs and even Schenn, but that's not good enough. 

Hypothetical:

to NSH - Boeser and #11

to VAN - Fabbro and #15

I’m not sure Nashville would like this trade but it would be great for us. Fabbro could play on our second pairing and at 15 we will likely get one of Willander or Shimashev. 

I think Woo is on the big club right off the hop next season. 

Edited by Alflives

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

This is so weird. It was suggested that he could be looking to be drafted by a specific team. How does that even work unless you tell other teams don't draft me? Not sure why he would go to the habs unless there's some connection there. A team like caps would make more sense with Ovechkin.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m not sure Nashville would like this trade but it would be great for us. Fabbro could play on our second pairing and at 15 we will likely get one of Willander or Shimashev. 

I think Woo is on the big club right off the hop next season. 

Yeah, I'm not sure Fabbro is the right guy or if Nashville would go for it, but I thought there was talk before that Allvin was interested in getting Fabbro.

Maybe it's another D, but I do wonder if they use the #11 pick to try and bring in a Top 4D. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuckwings said:

This is so weird. It was suggested that he could be looking to be drafted by a specific team. How does that even work unless you tell other teams don't draft me? Not sure why he would go to the habs unless there's some connection there. A team like caps would make more sense with Ovechkin.  

"I play for Kapitals only!"

• There it is 1

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes - Hronek

Brisebois - Myers

Wolanin - Juulsen

Hirose

(LTIR - Bear, Poolman)

Hypothetical:

to NSH - Boeser and #11

to VAN - Fabbro and #15

I think this trade is possible but both teams have to see who's available at 11th. If we can still draft Willader at 15th then I'd be all over this, but it's too risk hoping the next 3 teams won't take him. 

I'm not going off by much but based on reports I'd be happy if we pick Willander who seems to have great potential. I don't care if we have to wait on him a couple of years. 

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure Fabbro is the right guy or if Nashville would go for it, but I thought there was talk before that Allvin was interested in getting Fabbro.

Maybe it's another D, but I do wonder if they use the #11 pick to try and bring in a Top 4D. 

We have Hughes to anchor our first pair. We have Hronek to anchor our second pair. We need two complementary guys for our top two D. Maybe Rathbone plays with Hronek? Then we need a guy for Hughes and maybe that’s Woo? At five on five Hughes Carrie’s his partner for 18 minutes. 
Hughes, Woo

Bone, Hronek

Hirose, Myers

Wolanen

And we will continue looking for guys, especially to play with Hughes and Hronek. 

10 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

With so many questions surrounding him you've gotta think he drops, perhaps even out of the top ten if the Caps don't snag him

The talent is there, certainly, but I could see teams with top picks being cagey and going for a player they know will come over 

Someone in the first round will take him, gotta wonder where though 

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

With so many questions surrounding him you've gotta think he drops, perhaps even out of the top ten if the Caps don't snag him

The talent is there, certainly, but I could see teams with top picks being cagey and going for a player they know will come over 

Someone in the first round will take him, gotta wonder where though 

I could see Michkov liking Montreal. He’d be super popular playing there and the club has the greatest hockey history. Habs need elite guys too. 

Just now, Alflives said:

I could see Michkov liking Montreal. He’d be super popular playing there and the club has the greatest hockey history. Habs need elite guys too. 

I could see it, it's come out over the past couple days that they're looking to move up though, I think they might want one of the top four centers 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I could see it, it's come out over the past couple days that they're looking to move up though, I think they might want one of the top four centers 

Moving up to get one of the three great centres would be crazy expensive. They might get to four though. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Moving up to get one of the three great centres would be crazy expensive. They might get to four though. 

Yeah, they almost certainly won't get into the top 3, you're getting a 1OA talent there this year 

Could see San Jose maybe moving down but it'd cost a lotttt as I figure Smith goes 4th 

If Montreal wants Michkov there's a strong chance he's available 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, they almost certainly won't get into the top 3, you're getting a 1OA talent there this year 

Could see San Jose maybe moving down but it'd cost a lotttt as I figure Smith goes 4th 

If Montreal wants Michkov there's a strong chance he's available 

Smith could go before San Jose. I'm imagining the Sharks take Leo Carlsson if he falls to them.

Just now, HighOnHockey said:

Smith could go before San Jose. I'm imagining the Sharks take Leo Carlsson if he falls to them.

Very true, top four is almost certainly Bedard, Fantilli, Smith, and Carlsson though, I'm not sure Montreal would be willing to pay what it'd take to get one of them 

Smith or Carlsson could be San Jose's future 1C and I'd be surprised if either considered taking a wing over the opportunity to grab a potential 1C

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hmm I'd think it's Habs wanting Michkov more than the other way around. It's likely hype that the media in Montreal is stirring up with the draft approaching. Who knows though, he hasn't indicated a team (yet) that he's favouring towards so it's anyone's guess.

I'm very worried with what the Canucks will do with their picks and cap space after the OEL buyout (argh), but at the same time i've never been so excited with a draft for as long as i can remember. The draft is deep, lots of players expected to get moved and a bit of drama here and there. I just pray for Canucks to be on the good end out of all of this. 

• Like 1