The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I wouldn't with the 7th. I like the D a bit further down this year. 

I have Simashev, Reinbacher, Axel Sandin Pellikka in the 12-20 range mid 1st. I think I probably take forwards with both our 1sts there are going to be some very exciting players available. But I would also be happy with any of these 3 picks with the NYI 1st. The 2nd and 3rd round have some very good options on D so I think I'd opt to draft our D there. Right now my wish list is in the following order. 

1 Oliver Bonk  RHD 6'1 180 Yes Radek's son  Here is Mark Hunter on if he was willing to move Bonk for Wright this year? 

th?id=OIP.lqt9OvPfQPNT2W0vaJnjmgHaEK&pid=Api&P=0

Ya Bonk is legit. He impresses in all 3 zones skates very well is sound defensively, uses his body and keeps play to the outside. His transition game is where he shines as a counter puncher he tilts the ice. IMO he would be target #1 hands down once the aforementioned 3 D are off the board. When I envision the style of play I want to see from the Canucks I want us to keep teams on their heels Bonk does that. 

2 Maxim Strbak 6'2 200lbs RHD Great blend of nastyness, skating, skill and defensive awareness. He's got the tools to be just what the doctor ordered for us. Someone fell asleep if he is there for us.

3 Lukas Dragicevic RHD 6'2 I don't think any of these 3 guys make it to our 2nd 40ish but would love to get the Richmond boy. He's a total package of size and skill stats are well look em up ya he is pretty good. Defensively there are some issues but not Korcinski level and he went 7oa last year 

On to the realistic targets I think we should be thrilled with any of these guys.

4 Beau Akey RHD 6'0 170 Absolutely shredding the OHL at nearly a PPG his speed kills.  From Dobber December 2022 – Akey is a very fluid-skating right-handed defenseman who looks closer to 6-2 on the ice than his listed 6-0. He is quite lanky as of now, but his frame will be a big one once he fills out. He is a good pre-scanner, which makes him effective on retrievals, and his scanning with the puck on his stick is also a strength. When the play is in front of him, he sees all of his options and picks the right one most of the time. His puck skills are also quite good, and his offensive instincts have flashed this season, but they aren’t given the opportunity to truly shine as Barrie’s system keeps him stapled to the blueline during most offensive zone possessions. Defensively, he keeps a tight gap and is focused on protecting the slot with a consistently active stick, but his defensive processing speed is a bit inconsistent, and he can get caught puck-watching, especially in multi-variable situations. Overall, Akey is a similar tier of player as fellow OHL blueliners Cam Allen and Hunter Brzustewicz and looks like a mid-second or early third-round pick at this point in the

5 Aram Minnitian @Isam would love to hear what you have to say about him. From EP rink side

Aram Minnetian has been one of my favourite defenders among first-time draft-eligible players in the USHL crop for some time now, and he’s been especially impressive of late. The tools are exciting; Minnetian is an above-average skater with the agility to draw in a forechecker before accelerating into space. That same agility allows him to be proactive defensively, surfing opponents and cutting off long passes where possible. Minnetian’s smart offensively too, joining the rush off the puck, floating into space, controlling possession, and attacking defenders’ heels with weight shifts and dekes before firing off a pass or shot. The decision-making in his own zone has improved, too; he’s become better at making a pass early before activating for a return, rather than trying to do it all himself as the last man back. Minnetian is the perfect quarterback for the NTDP’s power play too. He’s exceptional at running their offence from the point and uses deceptive body language to work the puck around the umbrella to open teammates. It’s easy to get caught up in all of the offensive talent the U18 squad has to offer, but Minnetian is looking more and more like a legitimate prospect.

6 Carter Sotheran 6'3 RHD he's big he's mean 

He plays all 3 zones and is a fantastic project D IMO he is both a high floor and high ceiling player I have him ranked early in my 2nd round but consensus rankings have him as a 3rd round target. Either way let's draft him. He is a big reason Portland is having the success they are having. I'd sleep better knowing we have a player like him in our pipeline. 

If we do use our NYI pick and our 2nd on these D then Yannick Bisson Reaction GIF by Murdoch Mysteries

6 Please draft Juraj Pekarcik in the 3rd IMO he is a player we want. He's a pro and is "going on record here" going to be a very good blue collar NHL player!

I look forward to @Isam's take on Minnetian. Just to say though, I have 20+ views on Minnetian and I will say that write-up on him is pretty good. He's so much fun to watch when they let him run, but he's also such a perfect example of what's great about the NTDP - it's always a development program first. He's flown so far under the radar all year because he's not putting up a ton of points, but he and the coaching staff have been working very deliberately at developing the defensive side of his game. But then at the international level (these are the games that are most meaningful to this program), they let him loose and he put on an absolute show. Reminded me a little of Josh Morrisey in his draft year actually.

Again, as a converted forward, it's no surprise his biggest strength is an area not so specific to defensemen - carrying the puck through the neutral zone, but as the write-up mentions, he's gotten a lot better at using his teammates in transition, something that in my opinion Sandin-Pellikka still needs to work on. His biggest areas of weakness are the areas most specific to defensemen - primarily backwards skating, he's pretty fluid once he gets going, but changing directions he can get a little twisted up and often lose his balance. He's good in the defensive zone but tends to rely too much on being aggressive, it works a lot of the time but when it doesn't it's not good; needs to learn to control his gap just a little bit better. Also in the offensive zone he's pretty good walking the line, but his ability to be deceptive in his starts and stops and stutter steps is less than elite. It's actually Zeev Buium who more often mans the top powerplay unit as the lone defenseman.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Interesting way to put it.

My dream draft............

3rd OA.................Carlsson

14 OA..................Reinbecker

26 OA..................Augstine....................hoping to get an extra late 1st from Boeser

2nd......................Bonk

If we walk away with that, we fill the cupboards

I would be very happy with that too! I think this years draft has some very interesting targets. Big question will be do we use the NYI pick on a D and which one? Who did we leave on the board to do so? 

• Cheers 1

From the NTDP website:

"The U18s head overseas next week to compete in a Four Nations in Rauma, Finland. Their first game is scheduled for Tuesday where they will play the hosts with puck drop scheduled for 12:00 p.m. ET. The tournament can be streamed online at Leijonat TV."

I'm assuming the four teams are USA, Finland, Sweden, Czechs.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Interesting way to put it.

My dream draft............

3rd OA.................Carlsson

14 OA..................Reinbecker

26 OA..................Augstine....................hoping to get an extra late 1st from Boeser

2nd......................Bonk

If we walk away with that, we fill the cupboards

Curious why you prefer Augtine ahead of Hrabal I would love Hrabal especially if Demko goes? 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Curious why you prefer Augtine ahead of Hrabal I would love Hrabal especially if Demko goes? 

Hrabal would be great too!

It is just, I am seeing Augtines name come up a little more often.......It appears that, those 2 get brought up earlier in the rounds more often.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

But dreams can be delusions. 

I go 

1 Bedard

2 Carlsson

3 Michkov

4 Fantilli

5 this is where it gets murky and we have Benson/Cristall  BPA 

I think we have to go Will Smith in this scenario knowing we probably left the best player on the board. 

Canucks are bound to finish around bottom 5?

If so, their 2nd will be a high pick, almost as if they will have three 1sts. The way the Draft always seems to go, some players that should go high, end up dropping for whatever reason. Canucks should get 3 very good players in this coming Draft. 

Would be great to get another 1st and 2nd. They could really load up on the QUALITY prospects.  

Edited by NUCKER67

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Future?

Pettersson - Lekkerimaki

Will Smith (first 1st)

Podkolzin - Raty - Klimovich

Hughes - Lukas Dragicevic (second 1st)

Pettersson - Johansson

Michael Hrabal (2nd)

Silovs

The trouble with Dragicevic, is he is just terrible at defense. Not at all a good paring for Hughes, and I really question if he is a good pick for us?

• Cheers 1