The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] October 1, 2022 Preseason: Canucks @ Kraken 6:30pm PT at Climate Pledge Arena SN1, SNP, ROOT-NW, SN650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

All I'll say is... Bruce looks a little concerned.  He knows we can't transition the puck out of our end effectively or at all without Hughes.  I'm sure he was hoping Rathbone could be a Hughes light... And maybe he will be at some point.  But that ain't the case right now... Nothing's changed on the back end from last year.  And the forwards aren't coming back deep enough to support their D either.  That's a serious problem... 

I know JR and PA said they don't want to trade draft picks but... Since they doubled down on Miller... That means winning now right?!  So why not trade Garland or?  And a high pick to get a decent right D.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

If the players you keep defending were actually any good we'd actually be a good team.

Please use logic.

Again I’m not sure how you think at the NHL level 3 good dmen offset 3 less than average dmen can lead to issues defensively. We have 3 top 4 dmen and a plethora of bottom pair an 7/8th dmen. I suspect between the small cap bump, Ferland’s deal coming off the books and maybe moving Dickinson/Poolman even possibly Pearson defense help isn’t coming until the offseason. So yes I am using logic. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

All I'll say is... Bruce looks a little concerned.  He knows we can't transition the puck out of our end effectively or at all without Hughes.  I'm sure he was hoping Rathbone could be a Hughes light... And maybe he will be at some point.  But that ain't the case right now... Nothing's changed on the back end from last year.  And the forwards aren't coming back deep enough to support their D either.  That's a serious problem... 

I know JR and PA said they don't want to trade draft picks but... Since they doubled down on Miller... That means winning now right?!  So why not trade Garland or?  And a high pick to get a decent right D.

Bingo! They need to fix the D, and it really only needs to be one good defensive RHD (Taney or Larson type). If that costs us a draft pick to win in 2022, it’s worth it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hahaha come on, getting all the losses out the system early :)

I actually do not mind it at all right now haha. If there’s time to enjoy a loss it’s right now. Just a slow build up. Should start to see the wins start pilling up in a couple weeks 

• Cheers 1

I know it's preseason but how much losing is too much for these guys. Losing season after losing season. You would think they are just done with it. It becomes all too familiar. Even preseason. They have gone through so much losing. It's been a lot for this core group. I think that's why there is panic, it's a familiar feel and tune. Everyone says take it easy but that happens every year. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

18 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Once they signed Miller it seems like a move to shore up the D would have been the next move.

Sign a 30 year old for the top line and the winning window starts now, rather than a couple years from now.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Again I’m not sure how you think at the NHL level 3 good dmen offset 3 less than average dmen can lead to issues defensively. We have 3 top 4 dmen and a plethora of bottom pair an 7/8th dmen. I suspect between the small cap bump, Ferland’s deal coming off the books and maybe moving Dickinson/Poolman even possibly Pearson defense help isn’t coming until the offseason. So yes I am using logic. 

Only way it happens is if Poolman, Dickenson are burried and move Pearson trade involving our 1st, which is steep but maybe worth it if it brings a good top D back.

• Cheers 2

I know that many on here would like Rathbone to succeed, but he is a defenseman and his defensive play is not yet NHL standard.  Decision making is suspect and needs to be simplified.  At this juncture I would think his place as a regular on the NHL Canucks is up in the air.  

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Only way it happens is if Poolman, Dickenson are burried and move Pearson trade involving our 1st, which is steep but maybe worth it if it brings a good top D back.

Yeah that or into the offseason at the latest. Either way sooner than later to avoid potential mess if Bo/Petey etc want to start winning. 

• Cheers 1

Meh.......I did not watch the game, but it is pre season, and Seattle actually iced a more veteran team than we did, plus 2 top 4 players in Wright and Benier. They only had 1 Dman that was of minor quality.......

No excuses................just an preseason game...............if you want to watch it................go ahead, but the GM and Coach want to see players, and see what they can do.............

I am not concerned at the least.........................

• Upvote 1