The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Oct 18/22 Valiant Canucks @ Forever-Blue Jackets 4pm PT at Nationwide Arena SNP SN650

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

5 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Which NHL team is giving up a top 4 D for one of those guys?

The one that needs them .

Horvat may be the first to go, but that shouldn't be all that surprising with Rutherford's "culture" comments along with him saying "we may have to make some non-emotional decisions" (with regards to the roster) and then, re-signing Miller.

4 minutes ago, fecklund said:

The one that needs them .

Horvat may be the first to go, but that shouldn't be all that surprising with Rutherford's "culture" comments along with him saying "we may have to make some non-emotional decisions" (with regards to the roster) and then, re-signing Miller.

I'm okay with it in theory but unless there are names proposed, it's a little too easy to say we should get a defenseman.
Trying to find a team that needs Horvat, has the capspace to take on his much publicized next contract ask, and has a surplus of top 4D that they'd be willing to part with is quite the ask.

13 minutes ago, fecklund said:

It was said in jest.

sort of.

Imagine having $16 Million off your cap to go hunting for real help on the back end.
Or not... which is where we are now. 

You still have to acquire those players. Which would cost picks or prospects. (Which we don’t really wanna do) or trade a player like Boeser for example who already makes money. Really Myers and OEL contracts are irrelevant at the moment especially because after them and Hughes we don’t have much on defence 

• Cheers 1

Lots of panic, but it just takes one win

Canucks will win tonight, and suddenly they're 1-3. Then they'll ride the wave and beat MIN and go 2-3 and then the home opener on Saturday will be that much more exciting. Glad they had the players meeting, I'm sure they're on the same page and know what is expected of them by their team mates. Accountability. This could be a turning point for them.

If they lose tonight? Then we can panic  :frantic:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Uhhh really? That's the biggest complaint is that he can't produce anymore

He's still a 20 goal, 50 point guy, so he does produce. I'd say the issue with his offense is the size of his contract relative to what he produces........and that's just in the context of offense output.  Factor in the deep deficiencies in the rest of his game and he's an anchor.

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

Any names? It's a little too easy to say the team should get a good defenseman. The team knows they need defensemen but weren't able to acquire one, so I have to assume it's not as easy as shipping off a Garland for one.

Sure: 
San Jose- we could probably pry Mario Ferraro out of them for One of the forwards I mentioned, though we may have to add in a high draft pick or Rathbone. 

Boston however is the most obvious choice with a massive glut of NHL calibre defensemen. 

They're currently icing a nhl calibre top-6, even in the absence of: Carlo, McAvoy, and Gryzlek, and Stralman. 

Boston will 100% need to part with 2 of their NHL-calibre spare parts:

Reilly, Clifton, Forbort (my guess is the first two, because Forbort is pretty critical to their PK)

Given how deep they are though, if we ponied up a genuine offensive talent on a great contract, we could take Carlo off them. 

5 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I'm okay with it in theory but unless there are names proposed, it's a little too easy to say we should get a defenseman.
Trying to find a team that needs Horvat, has the capspace to take on his much publicized next contract ask, and has a surplus of top 4D that they'd be willing to part with is quite the ask.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Sure: 
San Jose- we could probably pry Mario Ferraro out of them for One of the forwards I mentioned, though we may have to add in a high draft pick or Rathbone. 

Boston however is the most obvious choice with a massive glut of NHL calibre defensemen. 

They're currently icing a nhl calibre top-6, even in the absence of: Carlo, McAvoy, and Gryzlek, and Stralman. 

Boston will 100% need to part with 2 of their NHL-calibre spare parts:

Reilly, Clifton, Forbort (my guess is the first two, because Forbort is pretty critical to their PK)

Given how deep they are though, if we ponied up a genuine offensive talent on a great contract, we could take Carlo off them. 

Boston could be realistic. Lot of money coming off the books next season too. I've been interested in Carlo for a while.

• Cheers 1

Just now, fecklund said:

You have to have the ability to do it, before you start looking at names.
Hence my comment on the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

but if you subtract those players and don't have replacements in place, then what?  Are you going to wait until the off season and then hope you can entice a high priced dman to sign?  What if he (they) decide to go elsewhere and you're left with nothing?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

Boston could be realistic. Lot of money coming off the books next season too. I've been interested in Carlo for a while.

they're not moving Carlo, imo, and certainly not for a high priced middle 6 winger