The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Bear | #74 | D

-AJ-

1 hour ago, Citizen Erased said:

I’m not sure it works that way with expired contracts.

FWIW, per Wagner Petey didn’t go because he tried to get insured for future earnings and Sweden wasn’t willing to buck up.

Spoiler

The complications created by Bear’s injury show why it can be risky to play in the World Hockey Championship without a contract, as this could have real implications for his future earnings in the NHL. 

It’s ultimately why Elias Pettersson didn’t play for Team Sweden at this year’s tournament. Although his contract does run for one more year, Pettersson was seeking insurance to cover potential future earnings on his next contract, which is likely to be massive. 

The Swedish Ice Hockey Federation was unwilling — or unable — to cover the hefty insurance premiums involved in insuring an unknown future contract, so Pettersson didn’t go to the tournament. 

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/ethan-bear-shoulder-surgery-could-affect-contract-with-canucks-7150740

Which implies it’s possible to insure future earnings without a contract. Still pretty sure I read somewhere he had such insurance but can’t find the exact quote (I admittedly don’t look long). 

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

FWIW, per Wagner Petey didn’t go because he tried to get insured for future earnings and Sweden wasn’t willing to buck up.

Hide contents

The complications created by Bear’s injury show why it can be risky to play in the World Hockey Championship without a contract, as this could have real implications for his future earnings in the NHL. 

It’s ultimately why Elias Pettersson didn’t play for Team Sweden at this year’s tournament. Although his contract does run for one more year, Pettersson was seeking insurance to cover potential future earnings on his next contract, which is likely to be massive. 

The Swedish Ice Hockey Federation was unwilling — or unable — to cover the hefty insurance premiums involved in insuring an unknown future contract, so Pettersson didn’t go to the tournament. 

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/ethan-bear-shoulder-surgery-could-affect-contract-with-canucks-7150740

Which implies it’s possible to insure future earnings without a contract. Still pretty sure I read somewhere he had such insurance but can’t find the exact quote (I admittedly don’t look long). 

Very interesting. Thanks!

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hoping Ethan re-signs with us at some point, I think if he didn't get injured he'd 100% be starting here.

Was a good player here, mobile & moves the puck well, scores the odd goal & defends okay. Kind of a Stecher type of player but bigger & probably a little more skilled. 

Again I think it would be nice to see him back with us at some point - would offer some nice depth & he's got upside. 

• Like 1