The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Bear | #74 | D

-AJ-

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Would sure be interesting. If all players were available, does Bedard crack the lineup?

Since penalties is used a lot more in international tournaments he fits right in.

At least he would be allowed to play as he wants.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Crosby didn't crack the 2006 lineup, but then, I think hockey world in NA is more accepting of young talent now. Who knows, maybe Bedard is better than Crosby at that young age.

They could probably just sling him on the 4th line wing and wheel him out for the powerplay. Purely based on say points this year, the Canada lineup would be something like:

Hyman - McDavid - MacKinnon

RNH - Point - Stamkos

Skinner - Crosby - Giroux

Benn - Tavares - Kyrou

The bottom-6 is sort of hovering just above or just below a PPG, and if Bedard is anything like McDavid in his rookie year, we can expect him to score at a PPG pace so I'd rather have Bedard in there over Kyrou (or Benn after his most recent antics).

My Team Canada if there is a big international tournament next year...

Hyman-McDavid-Marner

Marchand-Crosby-MacKinnon

Verhaghe-Point-Stamkos

Bertuzzi-Scheifele-Kyrou

RNH / Cozens / Tavares

Toews-Makar

Morrissey-Hamilton

Theodore-Doughty

Montour / Pietrangelo / Dunn

Kuemper

Hart

Fleury

Can't see Bedard on the team (yet) unless he is absolutely tearing up the league. I see this as a typical meat and potatoes Canadian team with all the skill in the world.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Just watched Bear’s interview at the Mem Cup. He’s all class. We need to somehow keep this guy long term. 2.2 per x 5 years. 
Polish up that done Allvin, there’s a deal to be done. :frantic:

Do not need class. We need snarl. Let him walk.

On 5/30/2023 at 10:16 AM, 250Integra said:

Hyman-McDavid-Marner

Verhaghe-Point-Stamkos

Bertuzzi-Scheifele-Kyrou

RNH / Cozens / Tavares

Toews-Makar

Morrissey-Hamilton

Theodore-Doughty

Kuemper

Hart

Fleury

Can't see Bedard on the team (yet) unless he is absolutely tearing up the league. I see this as a typical meat and potatoes Canadian team with all the skill in the world.

Is that really the best we have for goaltending nowadays?  Yikes.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Just watched Bear’s interview at the Mem Cup. He’s all class. We need to somehow keep this guy long term. 2.2 per x 5 years. 
Polish up that done Allvin, there’s a deal to be done. :frantic:

It’s 2.2 to qualify for one year.  

Maybe something like 2.5 or 2.6 for 2 years.  

2.9 x 3 would work for me. 

If we go a little over I’d be alright - but feels like you want to keep him in the 2s in case we land a true top 4 to pair with Hughes. We can live paying Bear 3 mil to play a 16-18 min 3rd pair - but not much more.

He’s not an ideal fit on the team with Hronek and Hughes already undersized… but Bear can play and elevated everyone he paired with last season.  

With a split with Myers looming sooner than later and the real possibility we can’t trade or sign a top 4 RHD we can’t be throwing Bear away. 

23 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Is that really the best we have for goaltending nowadays?  Yikes.

Some other good candidates are both of the Vegas goalies in Adin Hill and Logan Thompson (I think Thompson has more potential personally).

Skinner and Jarry are arguably also better than the names provided, but that could vary from year to year. EIther way, the fact is while Canada has some good goalies, we don't have any current star netminders.

13 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

It’s 2.2 to qualify for one year.  

Maybe something like 2.5 or 2.6 for 2 years.  

2.9 x 3 would work for me. 

If we go a little over I’d be alright - but feels like you want to keep him in the 2s in case we land a true top 4 to pair with Hughes. We can live paying Bear 3 mil to play a 16-18 min 3rd pair - but not much more.

He’s not an ideal fit on the team with Hronek and Hughes already undersized… but Bear can play and elevated everyone he paired with last season.  

With a split with Myers looming sooner than later and the real possibility we can’t trade or sign a top 4 RHD we can’t be throwing Bear away. 

Personally, I think that's crazy. IMO Bear is worth about $1.9M on a one or two-year deal. $2.9M for three years would be a serious overpayment.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Some other good candidates are both of the Vegas goalies in Adin Hill and Logan Thompson (I think Thompson has more potential personally).

Skinner and Jarry are arguably also better than the names provided, but that could vary from year to year. EIther way, the fact is while Canada has some good goalies, we don't have any current star netminders.

You're not helping increase my confidence with those names :lol:

Although we'll see how Skinner develops.  I guess I was spoiled from the days of having to choose between future hall of fame goalies.

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

You're not helping increase my confidence with those names :lol:

Although we'll see how Skinner develops.  I guess I was spoiled from the days of having to choose between future hall of fame goalies.

For sure. Jarry is probably the most prominent name for me, but Skinner or Thompson could get to a higher level.

39 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Personally, I think that's crazy. IMO Bear is worth about $1.9M on a one or two-year deal. $2.9M for three years would be a serious overpayment.

Well, it’s 2.2 x 1 as a minimum. Usually more if you’re buying UFA years.

The risk is if he has another good year with Hughes / OEL.  He’s a good candidate to play top 4 this year.  He’s shown chemistry with those two already and if we go only one year, there will be competition to sign him as a UFA coming off two decent top 4 seasons.

Personally, unless management has some other plan to trade or clear cap and sign a UFA I pay a bit more to add some stability to the right side without chasing a 30 year old UFA for 5+ mil over too many seasons.  

It lets us walk from Myers ASAP as well but isn’t so expensive that it stops us from looking for that perfect partner for Hughes.  

Just my mid-term outlook opinion though!  

I get why people don’t think much of Bear since he’s just kinda all-around ok but thats hard to find in a young RD and maybe we were a little spoiled getting Schenn’s contributions for league min over two seasons. I don’t see us landing another bargain like that anytime soon - or at least I wouldn’t bank on it.

Edited by ilduce39

On 5/30/2023 at 10:16 AM, 250Integra said:

Hyman-McDavid-Marner

Verhaghe-Point-Stamkos

Bertuzzi-Scheifele-Kyrou

RNH / Cozens / Tavares

Toews-Makar

Morrissey-Hamilton

Theodore-Doughty

Kuemper

Hart

Fleury

Is Not Impressed GIFs | Tenor  Okay.....where's Myers??

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

6 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Well, it’s 2.2 x 1 as a minimum. Usually more if you’re buying UFA years.

The risk is if he has another good year with Hughes / OEL.  He’s a good candidate to play top 4 this year.  He’s shown chemistry with those two already and if we go only one year, there will be competition to sign him as a UFA coming off two decent top 4 seasons.

Personally, unless management has some other plan to trade or clear cap and sign a UFA I pay a bit more to add some stability to the right side without chasing a 30 year old UFA for 5+ mil over too many seasons.  

It lets us walk from Myers ASAP as well but isn’t so expensive that it stops us from looking for that perfect partner for Hughes.  

Just my mid-term outlook opinion though!  

I get why people don’t think much of Bear since he’s just kinda all-around ok but thats hard to find in a young RD and maybe we were a little spoiled getting Schenn’s contributions for league min over two seasons. I don’t see us landing another bargain like that anytime soon - or at least I wouldn’t bank on it.

My concern with Bear is trying to assess whether he is a 2RD or not? We all assume that Hronek will be the 1RD. If Bear is not assessed as a 2RD on a CUP contending team then that impacts what you can pay him and the term given. The analytics guys like Bear. To me he is not big enough. Maybe my concern is misplaced. The bigger problem is likely at 2LD. On a 3 year deal he could be a transition guy if Van drafts a young RD that can make the roster in 2 years. Maybe PA already has a deal cooking on another RD. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

My concern with Bear is trying to assess whether he is a 2RD or not? We all assume that Hronek will be the 1RD. If Bear is not assessed as a 2RD on a CUP contending team then that impacts what you can pay him and the term given. The analytics guys like Bear. To me he is not big enough. Maybe my concern is misplaced. The bigger problem is likely at 2LD. On a 3 year deal he could be a transition guy if Van drafts a young RD that can make the roster in 2 years. Maybe PA already has a deal cooking on another RD. 

That’s very close to my thought process as well - I’m just concerned about landing a 4/5 RHD without giving up a lot of assets via trade or overpaying for a guy turning 30. I’d rather slightly overpay for a guy in his prime.  Cutting my losses in a perpetual problem spot I guess.  

Meanwhile, a guy like Marino is making 4.4 and I’d be happy to have him as well despite very similar stats and size.

I’d be fine with a 2 or 3 year deal but on a 3 I would expect Allvin to still be shopping to replace him in the top 4. At this point he’s a place holder - but a place holder who fits the age range.

15 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Ethan is a great role model for young indigenous kids. 

He's done a lot of one on one work with kids over the years. 

Bear making it really hard for PA to let him walk, even apart from the Memorial Cup festivities, there's been so much press about Bear - he must be one of the most talked about guys. IMO he's really just not that good and an easy excuse for PA to not go out and acquire a true partner for Hughes. I worry all this publicity is going to force PA's hand and make him re-sign Bear and not get a proper top-4 defenceman.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bear making it really hard for PA to let him walk, even apart from the Memorial Cup festivities, there's been so much press about Bear - he must be one of the most talked about guys. IMO he's really just not that good and an easy excuse for PA to not go out and acquire a true partner for Hughes. I worry all this publicity is going to force PA's hand and make him re-sign Bear and not get a proper top-4 defenceman.

I do wonder if it will go this way. He does a lot in the community, which is nice and can even be considered to add to his value, but I still believe he's a 4/5 guy, akin to how Stecher was and probably not a super solid 3/4.

• Cheers 1