The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Remembrance Day Thread - 2022

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I guess we're going to get to a point where Peacekeepers will be the only ones that saw action.

I think that past generations will be happy their son's and grandson's won't have to go through what they went through.

It’s truly sad to lose some of the greatest Canadians year after year. 

We’re down to just a handful now. 

However, we still honour those that continue to serve in all manners and missions. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It’s truly sad to lose some of the greatest Canadians year after year. 

We’re down to just a handful now. 

However, we still honour those that continue to serve in all manners and missions. 

I hope the Canadians fighting in Ukraine get treated with the same respect as those fighting under our flag have.  It's my generation's duty to remember those who helped raise us and shared their stories regardless of how painful it must have been to relive.

• Like 3

One of the few things I actually hate is human beings killing other human beings in events called we call wars. 

The real victims aren't even the soldiers and their loved ones, who lost their fathers, brothers, uncles, sons, and nephews, it's civilians who are killed, injured and displaced. 

There aren't many memorials for them.

My father was a veteran who didn't even make it up the beach on D- day. 

He was shot multiple times and his friend risked his life to save him. 

My father taught me there is no honour or glory in war, just pain, suffering and death. 

Still I honour the WW2 veterans who fought against an evil the world had never seen and has not seen since.

An evil that tried to commit genocide on multiple races of people, while trying to subjugate a big part of our world.

I went up the RSL, yesterday and laid a bunch of flowers against the memorial and hoped for a day when we, human beings, stop killing each other in pointless wars. 

Even in war there are some moments when humans come together and forget their differences, even if only for a few hours. 

Moments like this one.

Then there are men like Desmond Doss who refused to carry a weapon and was derided and humiliated by his fellow squad mates.

When they went into battle, he singlehandedly saved  75 wounded men including some  Japanese. 

I posted this song in the Ukraine thread, I listen to it every remembrance Day.

It is about Our Vietnam vets who were forced/ drafted, to fight in an unjust war, however it could be about any soldier from any war. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

• -SN- unpinned this topic