Sharpshooter

As Sharpshooter said, people are sacrificing themselves even today:

Sask. farmer sacrifices life fighting for Ukraine

Sask. farmer sacrifices life fighting for Ukraine

Joseph Hildebrand died near Bakhmut

By Diego Flammini
Staff Writer
Farms.com

Carissa, Joseph and Jovi Hildebrand. (Carissa Hildebrand/CBC photo)

A Saskatchewan farmer is being remembered as a hero for his sacrifice while helping defend Ukraine from Russian forces.

Joseph Hildebrand, who grew up working on his family’s farm near Herbert, and who also served two tours with the Canadian Armed Forces in Afghanistan, died Monday near Bakhmut.

Nine of the 12 people in his unit died during the attack.

They were transporting wounded soldiers to a front-line medical clinic, the Globe and Mail reported.

Joseph was “hit by an explosive of some sort,” his brother, Jacob, told the Toronto Star.

The 33-year-old left Canada for Ukraine on June 11.

He wanted to go to show that the world stands with Ukraine.

“The whole world needs to stand up against Putin and Russia’s aggression,” Hildebrand said about his reason for wanting to fight for Ukraine, a source within the International Legion of Territorial Defense of Ukraine, told the Globe and Mail. “And that ‘this is the best way I can support and uphold my morals and beliefs.’”

Hildebrand leaves behind his partner, Carissa, and their daughter, Jovi.

Carissa received a call from members of his team about what had happened.

“He was killed pulling other guys out that were injured,” she told CBC. “That’s exactly who he is. The most selfless man I’ve ever known.”

Many people are remembering Hildebrand, and thanking him for his service to Canada and sacrifice for Ukraine.

“My sincere condolences to the family of Joseph Hildebrand – a brave Canadian who stood with Ukraine and died in action in the Donetsk region,” Lesia Vasylenko, a Ukrainian MP, said on Twitter. “He will be remembered by Ukrainians as (a) true hero in the battle for freedom.”

Premier Scott Moe also paid tribute to Hildebrand.

“Joe was a true Saskatchewan hero,” he said on Nov. 9. “His decision to take up arms once again to defend Ukraine was a remarkable demonstration of courage and selflessness. We mourn with all of those who knew and loved Joseph Hildebrand.”

Members of Saskatchewan’s ag community remembered Joe too.

The Herbert Stampede’s Facebook page remembers Hildebrand as “generous, thoughtful, and selfless. He was a valued member for the Herbert Stampede and also volunteered for the CCA finals every year that it was hosted in Swift Current. You could always count on Joe.”

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help the family cover the costs of bringing Hildebrand back home.

To date, the fundraiser has collected $1,815 of its $20,000 goal.

“We are raising these funds to cover transportation costs and fees related to getting Joe home to return to his family where he belongs. All leftover funds will be placed in a Trust Fund for his daughter,” the fundraiser says.

Once he is home, the plan is to have him cremated and his ashes spread on the land behind his farm. That’s where Joseph wanted them, Carissa told CBC.

https://www.farms.com/ag-industry-news/sask-farmer-sacrifices-life-fighting-for-ukraine-722.aspx

• Cheers 1

315201050_10159835574340549_483936258164

My new friend, Tony.

A lovely man who shared stories with our kids that shed lights on war that aren't always highlighted. That "the enemy" is comprised of human beings, some of whom really don't want to be there (at least in his experience). Spoke of an enemy doctor who treated his illness as a child and acted out of compassion and kindness. If we had more of those, there'd be no war.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

10 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Thanks for the thread, Sharp!

I've been out for over 11 years and not a day goes by that I don't think about 'what ifs' and my experiences overseas. I am haunted by many gruesome images from my time as a TACP Operator on TF 3-09.

Remembrance Day is important to remember the men and women who never made it home, their families, and the people who came home forever changed. 

I don't think there will be a day when I am 'at ease' with our involvement in Afghanistan. So many lives lost unnecessarily. There are a lot of things I could say or type, but just getting a few off my chest sometimes helps.

I was 24 when I went over. It's hard to look at old pictures because now I am 37, but I look 47. I felt young at 24...I WAS young at 24, not fully able to comprehend the baggage I would carry for the rest of my life. 

Thanks for reading my blog post lol.

This was taken just the 2nd day I was home. I still hadn't came close to processing everything that transpired over the last 7 months, this was essentially the calm before the storm.

mackafghanistan.jpg

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Not only for sharing your story, but for your service. I can't imagine the trauma and how that seeps into your being. I hope you find true peace.

Respect.

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Not only for sharing your story, but for your service. I can't imagine the trauma and how that seeps into your being. I hope you find true peace.

Respect.

Thanks for the kind words, Deb.

It's not just in our homes, it becomes a part of us socially, all my neighbors think I'm an asshole because I keep to myself, I don't smile much out of the house. Its not like people with PTSD can walk around with a note hanging around our necks saying "I'm not a dick, I'm just consumed in my own mind right now, it's not you it's me" doesn't really have a good ring to it haha.

After awhile, you lose the ability or the effort to want to 'fake' it anymore.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

I've been out for over 11 years and not a day goes by that I don't think about 'what ifs' and my experiences overseas. I am haunted by many gruesome images from my time as a TACP Operator on TF 3-09.

Remembrance Day is important to remember the men and women who never made it home, their families, and the people who came home forever changed. 

I don't think there will be a day when I am 'at ease' with our involvement in Afghanistan. So many lives lost unnecessarily. There are a lot of things I could say or type, but just getting a few off my chest sometimes helps.

I was 24 when I went over. It's hard to look at old pictures because now I am 37, but I look 47. I felt young at 24...I WAS young at 24, not fully able to comprehend the baggage I would carry for the rest of my life. 

This was taken just the 2nd day I was home. I still hadn't came close to processing everything that transpired over the last 7 months, this was essentially the calm before the storm.

mackafghanistan.jpg

My cousin did a few tours in Afghanistan and Iraq with the Brits.

He was changed from the experience too. 

To you, him and all those that serve. Thank you. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My cousin did a few tours in Afghanistan and Iraq with the Brits.

He was changed from the experience too. 

To you, him and all those that serve. Thank you. 

Thank you!

We worked with the Brits and Yanks and the Brits were top shelf. Professional, well trained, and had personality! 

I'll have one for your cousin tonight.

• Huggy Bear 1

My one grandfather was excused from WW2 service because he has to care for his frail mom and his younger sister.  My other grandfather couldn't serve because of his feet.  He kept his letter in his wallet for the rest of his life.  I had a great uncle who was a tail gunner that got shot down over Belgium and eventually ended up in a POW camp (he was hiding out in a barn and it became too dangerous for the family).  He was 6 feet tall and came back thin like a skeleton.  

• Cheers 1

The Vancouver Remembrance Day ceremonies always impress me and this year’s ceremonies are no different in that they seem to be even better than those of previous years. 

Very well done and moving as always. 

Sad to not see the older soldiers from past Great Wars that many of us were used to seeing in past years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

mackafghanistan.jpg

Thanks to you as well bud, for your service to our nation and for sharing with us. 

I wish you nothing but healing and peace for the rest of your life. 

Cheers. 

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The Vancouver Remembrance Day ceremonies always impress me and this year’s ceremonies are no different in that they seem to be even better than those of previous years. 

Very well done and moving as always. 

Sad to not see the older soldiers from past Great Wars that many of us were used to seeing in past years. 

I guess we're going to get to a point where Peacekeepers will be the only ones that saw action.

I think that past generations will be happy their son's and grandson's won't have to go through what they went through.

• Cheers 1