The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Boston Bruins | Nov. 13, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

32 minutes ago, JM_ said:

looks that way. But Bettman probably makes sure its CHI.

Honestly, I'd rather it be a Cali team over Chicago despite knowing what that means

I'd rather have him beat up on us than see that spoiled, sexual assault hiding franchise have a good thing like Bedard happen to them

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd rather have a solid dman than pay $2.4m for him to be a solid dman somewhere else.  

Because of his NMC, moving him will be hard, especially if we’re talking about trying to maximize a possible return for him.

On the other hand, he’s still a decent top 4 defenseman, provided he has a half decent partner.

I think however if we truly do decide to do a total revamp of the roster, buying him out would allow us to explore different avenues with that extra cap space, not to mention give us some breathing room in case Boeser/Myers don’t fetch the return we’d quite had hoped for.

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

But Petey's a better overall C.  Miller is allergic to defense when he plays down the middle.

Then why was our defence better last year? Because we won draws, Miller in particular.

I mean yea sure thats great Petey is better in his own zone…. Problem is he is having to retrieve the puck more often that he lost at the draw and defend his own zone.

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Because of his NMC, moving him will be hard, especially if we’re talking about trying to maximize a possible return for him.

On the other hand, he’s still a decent top 4 defenseman, provided he has a half decent partner.

I think however if we truly do decide to do a total revamp of the roster, buying him out would allow us to explore different avenues with that extra cap space, not to mention give us some breathing room in case Boeser/Myers don’t fetch the return we’d quite had hoped for.

Boeser and Myers aren't fetching much and I'm not sure the solution to cap issues is paying $2.4m a year for 4 more years for OEL to play somewhere else.  They will need veteran players in the lineup.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Odd. said:

So $2.4M for the next 8 years if we buy out OEL.

With the cap expected to rise considerably within the next 3 years, this is easily the best option moving forward. I thought the penalty would be considerably higher.

That's the salary cost - not the cap hit on the books.  The buyout cap hit is in bold.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Odd. said:

With the cap expected to rise considerably within the next 3 years, this is easily the best option moving forward. I thought the penalty would be considerably higher.

No need to buy anyone out if we don't have Stanley Cup aspirations for that year.  

It's safe to say that we won't be winning the cup this year or next. 

Just now, AnthonyG said:

Then why was our defence better last year? Because we won draws, Miller in particular.

I mean yea sure thats great Petey is better in his own zone…. Problem is he is having to retrieve the puck more often that he lost at the draw and defend his own zone.

I'm not arguing that, though teams have easily figured out Miller's one move on the draw, which is why he's fallen off this year.  Possession is key, not argument here, but so is being good defensively and Petey is much better than Miller there.  Petey is a competitor, I have faith he will overcome his issue at the dot.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Aaron Rome literally put a guy on a stretcher… Raffi Torres, Rick Rypien RIP, Bieksa, Kesler, Tanner Glass.. We’ve had plenty of snarl over the years.

We tried with Dorsett to keep that going, unfortunately he had a career ending surgery, then we tried with Ferland and he had concussion issues.. JT Miller has some snarl, Podz was dropping the mitts, Pearson has dropped the mitts a few times… I dont think this team is that soft. Plus Myers has a mean side to him. They brought in Joshua for this reason, but he hasnt really shown much of it.

how did Rome's hit work out for the Canucks?

6 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Two words, Brad Shaw. Perhaps that's the difference from this year than last year 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Boeser and Myers aren't fetching much and I'm not sure the solution to cap issues is paying $2.4m a year for 4 more years for OEL to play somewhere else.  They will need veteran players in the lineup.

Gotta have someone playing top 4, even if we're bad

May as well be the guy we're already paying

3 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Two words, Brad Shaw. Perhaps that's the difference from this year than last year 

is it considered words or names? And is that one name or two names?

its one full name Brad Shaw and two names a first and a last. Get it right! Jkjk I totally agree with ya, but faceoffs are also a huge issue right now

28 minutes ago, Odd. said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/oliver-ekman-larsson

according to the page referenced, the caphit from 2025-27 is almost $5m

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

is it considered words or names? And is that one name or two names?

its one full name Brad Shaw and two names a first and a last. Get it right! Jkjk I totally agree with ya, but faceoffs are also a huge issue right now

michael strahan football GIF by FOX Sports: Watch. Enjoy. Repeat.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/oliver-ekman-larsson

according to the page referenced, the caphit from 2025-27 is almost $5m

It’s all relative. The Cap ceiling will be much higher by then…if a buyout is necessary. There is no need to do a buyout this or next year but I do see this happening.