The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Contracts to players with history of injuries

Rate this topic

Timråfan

Is it a good strategy for a GM to not offer contracts to players with an injury history. Especially if it’s injuries affecting how they play?

Par example an forwards shot/speed, a goalies side movement, fighters/hitters concussions etc,,, 

Players I remember that had a history of injuries coming back to bite us is Ferland, Baertschi, Boeser, Demko.

I assume there is more.

Tampa would've had to dismantle their team then, Kucherov, Pointe, Stamkos all have had major injuries throughout their career.  

In hindsight it sounds like the Ferland situation could've been forecast, but not sure about the other guys. 

Injuries are hard to predict. I mean in the nba kawhi leonard has now been injured for most seasons since 2018. Toronto got him for cheap and he won them a championship. LA overpaid and he's won them nothing. Seems as much dumb luck though age is probably a factor.

The Canucks have had their share. Mats Lindgren, Malhotra were guys who could have made huge impacts.

I think you have to balance it and not have too many. 

28 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Tampa would've had to dismantle their team then, Kucherov, Pointe, Stamkos all have had major injuries throughout their career.  

In hindsight it sounds like the Ferland situation could've been forecast, but not sure about the other guys. 

Boeser is said to have lost his edge.

Demko seems to have problems returning to his usual self.

I’m not familiar with the injuries TBL players had. 

13 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

So you don’t think a good analyse of the players injuries and projection is appliable?

No I don't.  Look at Crosby vs Ferland vs Byram vs Lindros vs etc etc

All concussions.  All different.  That's because no 2 players are identical.  Luck of the draw as to which ones recover.

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

No I don't.  Look at Crosby vs Ferland vs Byram vs Lindros vs etc etc

All concussions.  All different.  That's because no 2 players are identical.  Luck of the draw as to which ones recover.

Did Crosby fight as much as Ferland? Etc etc

8 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Injuries are a double edge sword. Gillis didn't sign Mitchell in part because injuries and then he went on to win a cup. Then the same happened with Tanev. 

All and all, we should stop gambling with injuries for awhile. We've lost far more than we've won lately 

Gillis *DID* offer Mitchell a contract extension but the Mitchell was looking for term.

Benning never offered Tanev anything.

Key difference.

Sami Salo was the type of player you want to sign even with an injury history provided his contract came cheap (and not too lengthy).  Which what Salo's contract was.  Funny thing is, I think he was the only healthy guy on the blueline in the 2011 Finals.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

27 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Did Crosby fight as much as Ferland? Etc etc

Not sure why that matters?  Last I checked, concussions can happen any time, anywhere on the ice.

Did Lafontaine, Deadmarsh, Savard, and others fight as much as Ferland?  All their careers ended early too.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not sure why that matters?  Last I checked, concussions can happen any time, anywhere on the ice.

Did Lafontaine, Deadmarsh, Savard, and others fight as much as Ferland?  All their careers ended early too.

Jovonoski absolutly KOd dead marsh in their second tilt. Dead marsh was out cold. Packed off.  One of the best ever Canuck fights.