The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Nux have given permission for Boeser’s agent to talk to other teams

RWJC

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

No team can acquire Meier without having a reasonable extension in place. He's an RFA who is due a 10 million Qualifying Offer. He's a talented guy, but he's not worth 10 million per season.

Right now, he could choose to just accept a 10 million QO and be a UFA next summer and go wherever he wants.

I see him realistically around the 7.5 - 8 million range, and that's a big gap to negotiate through from a guy who could just take the 10 for a season, bank on his performance next year and that the cap will likely really start to move in Summer 2024 and then lock in at a higher number with the team of his choice.

I don't see him being moved until really close to the deadline, if at all.

He could the RFA money, absolutely, but that's a gamble in itself. Would he still get paid wherever he wants to go? Absolutely. Would he get as much? Not necessarily because he can only get a maximum of seven years via UFA if I'm not mistaken. Meier will be 27 in October, this next deal will more than likely be the largest deal he'll get over the course of his career, he's likely going to want that eighth year imo. I think the concern about the 10M qualifying offer is a little overblown because more than likely it won't get to that point imo. 

I argued something similar with Horvat, that he'd get paid wherever he wanted to go and he would have, but when you factor in that eighth year he would have likely gotten less money overall wherever he went too. 

But you're right, I have a hard time seeing any team pay a premium for Meier without having some sort of extension worked out beforehand. He won't come cheap and I doubt many teams will want to pay that sort of premium for a player they can't retain.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Carolina apparently not looking for an extension and are willing to let him play on his 10M QO next season and figure out the contract down the road per both LeBrun and Friedman.  

Got to wonder if it's not because Aho, Skjei and Pesce also UFAs at the same time - ie only 2 more runs with their group so add Meier to go all in this year and next.  

I wouldn't be surprised if they're the only team prepared to gamble like that tbh, but you're right in that they've got some big decisions looming and that if they're going to go for it they're going to need to sooner than later. 

With Minny in the possible mix again I would imagine that the Nux are gonna retain some salary on Brock maybe 1.85mil. And I would imagine Greenway or Addison would be coming this way. I'd hope that we insist on either Marat Khusnutdinov or Kyle Masters and this year's 2nd depending on players involved ie Greenway, Masters, 2nd or Addison, Marat 

3 minutes ago, sims said:

With Minny in the possible mix again I would imagine that the Nux are gonna retain some salary on Brock maybe 1.85mil. And I would imagine Greenway or Addison would be coming this way. I'd hope that we insist on either Marat Khusnutdinov or Kyle Masters and this year's 2nd depending on players involved ie Greenway, Masters, 2nd or Addison, Marat 

Even retained around that figure, which is fair,.

Im not even sure Brock could bring much more than a single player back. 
perhaps a pick for 2024 ?

• Cheers 1

Minni fans smoke crack. "Greenway + 50% Retained on boeser"

First Greenway is the capdump on a 3x3. That means boeser is essentially a 3.65m player for them... It makes no sense for us to be taking eating cap and taking back a dump while losing a 60 point winger and gaining nothing.

And tossing in a late 2nd does nothing when we already shown how little we value them giving one away to have the privilege to take on Stillman 1.4 x 2 lol

Just now, sims said:

His agent is trying to get him to Minnesota.  He's hoping that Vancouver are going to bend over to make it happen - even says Vancouver would need to retain a large chunk of salary.  Guerin was just saying he doesn't want to give up prospects at this point of their cycle.  The Wild's biggest need is C - not wing so if they add a winger not sure it's going to be all that much.

His agent talks of Boeser playing with Boldy - ie taking the Fiala role.  That would make for an interesting comparison.  

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Minni fans smoke crack. "Greenway + 50% Retained on boeser"

First Greenway is the capdump on a 3x3. That means boeser is essentially a 3.65m player for them... It makes no sense for us to be taking eating cap and taking back a dump while losing a 60 point winger and gaining nothing.

And tossing in a late 2nd does nothing when we already shown how little we value them giving one away to have the privilege to take on Stillman 1.4 x 2 lol

Greenway's value isn't scoring but his defensive game.  He can impact games with his size and reach.  Issue is that he always needs to be pushed and his effort is inconsistent.  Guerin just gave him a talking to and he's finally been noticeable.  Not an easy guy to play against when he plays how he should.  

13 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Even retained around that figure, which is fair,.

Im not even sure Brock could bring much more than a single player back. 
perhaps a pick for 2024 ?

I think most are underestimate what Brock could return with retained salary. He hasn't been that bad, I'm also sure most GMs know the crap show in that has been going on here and the issues Brock has had. I expect Brock to be a 30+ goal score once he leaves here, his heart isn't into this team. As for Minny if we take Greenway back plus retain on Brock I'm sure we could squeeze more out of them

13 minutes ago, mll said:

His agent is trying to get him to Minnesota.  He's hoping that Vancouver are going to bend over to make it happen - even says Vancouver would need to retain a large chunk of salary.  Guerin was just saying he doesn't want to give up prospects at this point of their cycle.  The Wild's biggest need is C - not wing so if they add a winger not sure it's going to be all that much.

His agent talks of Boeser playing with Boldy - ie taking the Fiala role.  That would make for an interesting comparison.  

I could see Brock with Boldy and doing extremely well, being a 30 goal scorer again. We would definitely have to retain some on Brock to make it work with Minny, anything up to 1.85 mil is fine in my books, if we take back Greenway then I'd hope our GMs are good negotiators. 

Picks and prospects would need to come doesn't matter what Bill says. 

Personally I think a better trade could be made with NJD and Brock would excel over there. Hopefully NJD fail to get Meier and come back calling 

Just now, sims said:

I could see Brock with Boldy and doing extremely well, being a 30 goal scorer again. We would definitely have to retain some on Brock to make it work with Minny, anything up to 1.85 mil is fine in my books, if we take back Greenway then I'd hope our GMs are good negotiators. 

Picks and prospects would need to come doesn't matter what Bill says. 

Personally I think a better trade could be made with NJD and Brock would excel over there. Hopefully NJD fail to get Meier and come back calling 

Who is the C setting them up?  Both slow skaters also.  Have a hard time seeing how they are going to drive the line.  Gaudreau likely their C.  

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Greenway's value isn't scoring but his defensive game.  He can impact games with his size and reach.  Issue is that he always needs to be pushed and his effort is inconsistent.  Guerin just gave him a talking to and he's finally been noticeable.  Not an easy guy to play against when he plays how he should.  

That's why I would target him. I would sacrifice scoring to have my third line wingers being Greenway and jeanott.

I just don't agree with us being the only team who magically pays to take on and get rid of capdumps while everyone else manages to add or subtract for free or pay next to nothing to do so

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

That's why I would target him. I would sacrifice scoring to have my third line wingers being Greenway and jeanott.

I just don't agree with us being the only team who magically pays to take on and get rid of capdumps while everyone else manages to add or subtract for free or pay next to nothing to do so

Wild don't think their window is now because of their buyouts.  So hard to see them willing to spend much on anything.  Vancouver would have to do Boeser a favour.  Greenway has to be moved because they need the cap space but Boeser at 50% is more than Greenway.  Gustavsson going to cost also more than they planned with his play lately.  Hard to see how they can make it work cap wise unless Fleury decides to retire.   There's just no other evident contract to move.  + they still have Hartman and Gaudreau playing C1/C2 and too much invested on wing by comparison.  

10 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I agree..not a fan of Beoser's game, but retaining >1m and/or taking over priced cap dumps are just poor hockey decisions. IF we can get out of Beoser with <1m retained for late pick/futures...great. If the retention is more without a true prospect or decent draft pick coming back, its just isn't worth it. Trading one underperforming player with retention for another with no exact need for the cap space is foolish.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, mll said:

Who is the C setting them up?  Both slow skaters also.  Have a hard time seeing how they are going to drive the line.  Gaudreau likely their C.  

This season most likely Eriksson Ek. Next season who knows, I'm sure they will try to sign Marat if his contact is up after the khl season is done this year.  

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Wild don't think their window is now because of their buyouts.  So hard to see them willing to spend much on anything.  Vancouver would have to do Boeser a favour.  Greenway has to be moved because they need the cap space but Boeser at 50% is more than Greenway.  Gustavsson going to cost also more than they planned with his play lately.  Hard to see how they can make it work cap wise unless Fleury decides to retire.   There's just no other evident contract to move.  + they still have Hartman and Gaudreau playing C1/C2 and too much invested on wing by comparison.  

And why do him a favor......we already have by giving him a fat contract he didn't earn and hasn't shown to appreciate. He gets the odd goal here and there, but the constant floating on every shift and losing puck battles for a 6'1" 200lb+ guy is frustrating to watch.

14 minutes ago, myre said:

Trade him to Calgary for Dube and a pick. Calgary has like what one right-handed winger?

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat, but it would never happen. Dube plays hard every shift at 2.3m with only 1 more year on his contract. and adding a Cgy pick.....no way no how.

More plausible: Beoser + 3m retained + 4/5th rounder for Dube

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat, but it would never happen. Dube plays hard every shift at 2.3m with only 1 more year on his contract. and adding a Cgy pick.....no way no how.

More plausible: Beoser + 3m retained + 4/5th rounder for Dube

Sure, I'd do that as well. I love the way Dube plays! Seriously though, I think Calgary only has what one right-handed winger? Toffoli? I mean at least in their top nine that's about it

5 minutes ago, sims said:

This season most likely Eriksson Ek. Next season who knows, I'm sure they will try to sign Marat if his contact is up after the khl season is done this year.  

Marat is signed in the KHL through 2023/24.  He's not going to be with the Wild for some time.  Guerin also doesn't believe in developing prospects in the NHL.  Wants them 1st to outgrow the AHL - says he wants them to become difference makers vs just play in the NHL.

Ek not a playmaker.  His strength is his D-game.  They only changed their lines recently because they were struggling + Foligno is on IR but he should soon be back.