The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals] Boeser, Myers and Pearson traded

Personally I'd prefer a rebuild but can't see FA agreeing to that. So what else can we do?

Depending on who you believe all these 3 guys have little to no to negative value...

However, I have seen a few trades proposed on Capfriendly from other teams' fans for these players and makes me wonder if these trades would be good moves to make before the TDL (Boeser) and in the off season (Myers and Pearson):

To BUF: Boeser

To VAN: Mittelstadt

Mittelstadt just turned 24 years old. Is a center, has been averaging 16 mins a game and can play both PP and PK. Seems like a decent candidate for future 3C. Most importantly this trade moves Boeser's full cap hit without retention.

To ARI: Myers + 2023 4th round pick

To VAN: Little

Trade made after Myers' $5m signing bonus is paid. Little will have 1 year left at $5.2m but is on LTIR and contract is fully insured so VAN can bury him on LTIR. Arizona is running such a cheap roster that Little is not even on LTIR there, so not much difference for ARI between Little's cap hit and Myers' cap hit. Arizona gets a top 4 RD in Myers for only $1m in salary cost plus a 4th round pick.

To WPG: Pearson (50% retained)

To VAN: 5th round pick

Trade made in off season. WPG get a cheap ($1.625m) middle 6 winger.

VAN signs Horvat (8m), Kuzmenko (6m), Severson (6m), Bear (2.75), Dermott (1.8), Schenn (1.0), Burroughs (0.8m)

image.thumb.png.685d77816bd3fc088c51ed9f4d884d70.png

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Pearson is signed for more than one year.  There is zero excuse for any GM to sabotage the franchise by creating long-term dead cap.  Management needs to be fired on the spot if they even consider retaining on a non-expiring contract.

Move him in the summer 

I think the likeliest would be the middle trade.  Don't really see Buffalo trading for another winger when they're already set there (Skinner, Tuch, Peterka, Quinn, Olofsson as 5 of the 6 in the top-9).  Agreed we shouldn't retain and I wonder if there's an NHL team that would still want him for defense.

49 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Personally I'd prefer a rebuild but can't see FA agreeing to that. So what else can we do?

Depending on who you believe all these 3 guys have little to no to negative value...

However, I have seen a few trades proposed on Capfriendly from other teams' fans for these players and makes me wonder if these trades would be good moves to make before the TDL (Boeser) and in the off season (Myers and Pearson):

To BUF: Boeser

To VAN: Mittelstadt

Mittelstadt just turned 24 years old. Is a center, has been averaging 16 mins a game and can play both PP and PK. Seems like a decent candidate for future 3C. Most importantly this trade moves Boeser's full cap hit without retention.

To ARI: Myers + 2023 4th round pick

To VAN: Little

Trade made after Myers' $5m signing bonus is paid. Little will have 1 year left at $5.2m but is on LTIR and contract is fully insured so VAN can bury him on LTIR. Arizona is running such a cheap roster that Little is not even on LTIR there, so not much difference for ARI between Little's cap hit and Myers' cap hit. Arizona gets a top 4 RD in Myers for only $1m in salary cost plus a 4th round pick.

To WPG: Pearson (50% retained)

To VAN: 5th round pick

Trade made in off season. WPG get a cheap ($1.625m) middle 6 winger.

VAN signs Horvat (8m), Kuzmenko (6m), Severson (6m), Bear (2.75), Dermott (1.8), Schenn (1.0), Burroughs (0.8m)

image.thumb.png.685d77816bd3fc088c51ed9f4d884d70.png

Trade one Boeser 6.8 million or Garland 4.9 million --

Pearson 31 - I would retain 1.5 million to move him 2 yrs left -slow good player for playoff team

Kuzmenko - 26 - Would not sign for 6 million? Only one season..2 yrs X 4.6 - 4.9 million-- show me more..

Don't want to get into big contract after 1 year..

Bear 25 RD - sign 3 yrs 3.5 million - current salary 1.8 million

Dermott  26  LD/ RD - sign 2 yrs X 2.4 - show us more --

Myers-- easy to trade July 2nd after 5 million bonus is signed - New team pay 1 million--

Horvat 7.6 million X 7 yrs first big season ? Horvat has been a 55--61 point guy --26--31 G --Is Horvat a 75 point player??????

#2 C- great leader - 75 GP-- G 26--32 -- PTS 56--65-- great PP--PK - 20 -23 mins 

Miller -29 - 7 X 8 -- Think his personality can be awful when things arn't good? That guy you work with that can make others feel awkward..Seen the smashing sticks etc on ice at times.. 

I would sign Horvat and trade Miller before July 1st...

Need to make change for very talented # 2  RD man defensive guy under 27 yrs old...Very important this off season ..

Salary will be big but worth it..Good defence creates offence ..

Petey 24 - star -- July 2nd lock up 8 years X 9.6 million

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Pearson is signed for more than one year.  There is zero excuse for any GM to sabotage the franchise by creating long-term dead cap.  Management needs to be fired on the spot if they even consider retaining on a non-expiring contract.

As mentioned, he would be traded in the off season. 1 year of $1.6m retention is hardly "long term" nor is it sabotage.

Edited by BigTramFan
  • There it is 1

45 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I think the likeliest would be the middle trade.  Don't really see Buffalo trading for another winger when they're already set there (Skinner, Tuch, Peterka, Quinn, Olofsson as 5 of the 6 in the top-9).  Agreed we shouldn't retain and I wonder if there's an NHL team that would still want him for defense.

Mittelstadt has been used as a winger in BUF lately (with Jost as their 3C), so I think BUF fans are thinking about upgrading to an offensive winger who may do better in a new setting.

13 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Which hockey fantasy league is this?

Like 20 teams in the league is at the cap limit, and you want to pull out some wizardry to offload 15million in salary? Refer to Dicksinon and Kassian trades for a small dose of the cost for offloading salary. 

Firstly there are 32 teams in the NHL so there are still opportunities to trade.

Secondly if you read the OP you would realise 2 of these 3 moves are proposed for the off season when teams will have more cap space.

Thirdly, these are trades that were suggested by fans of the teams I have proposed we trade with, so not some homer trades that I made up.

We are not offloading 15m in salary. Myers will only be owed 1m and Pearson 2.75m.

BUF has $17m in cap space this season. ARI has $40m in projected cap space next season, WPG has $15m. 

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It's still completely unacceptable.  As a rental, no issue.  Any longer is grounds for immediate termination of employment.

Fair enough, I'll show myself out of the Canuck's armchair GM office right now :lol:

You see it as negative. I see moving half of Pearson's cap space in his final year as a way to get a modest return and also to remain cap compliant while resigning Bo, Kuz and a top 4 RD in free agency.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Trade one Boeser 6.8 million or Garland 4.9 million --

Pearson 31 - I would retain 1.5 million to move him 2 yrs left -slow good player for playoff team

Kuzmenko - 26 - Would not sign for 6 million? Only one season..2 yrs X 4.6 - 4.9 million-- show me more..

Don't want to get into big contract after 1 year..

Bear 25 RD - sign 3 yrs 3.5 million - current salary 1.8 million

Dermott  26  LD/ RD - sign 2 yrs X 2.4 - show us more --

Myers-- easy to trade July 2nd after 5 million bonus is signed - New team pay 1 million--

Horvat 7.6 million X 7 yrs first big season ? Horvat has been a 55--61 point guy --26--31 G --Is Horvat a 75 point player??????

#2 C- great leader - 75 GP-- G 26--32 -- PTS 56--65-- great PP--PK - 20 -23 mins 

Miller -29 - 7 X 8 -- Think his personality can be awful when things arn't good? That guy you work with that can make others feel awkward..Seen the smashing sticks etc on ice at times.. 

I would sign Horvat and trade Miller before July 1st...

Need to make change for very talented # 2  RD man defensive guy under 27 yrs old...Very important this off season ..

Salary will be big but worth it..Good defence creates offence ..

Petey 24 - star -- July 2nd lock up 8 years X 9.6 million

So you agree with the proposed moves but you want to sign Horvat to 7.6m, Kuz 4.9m, Bear 3.5m, Dermott 2.4m? Fine by me but I don't think that gets you Horvat or Kuz. And overall those moves cost another $1.35m above what I proposed, so it won't be cap compliant.

Where do you propose to find a defensive minded #2RD under 27 years old? (can you name even one that might be available?)

9 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Fair enough, I'll show myself out of the Canuck's armchair GM office right now :lol:

You see it as negative. I see moving half of Pearson's cap space in his final year as a way to get a modest return and also to remain cap compliant while resigning Bo, Kuz and a top 4 RD in free agency.

This kind of move is what caused the issue in the first place, where our GMs created dead cap out of desperation instead of just waiting it out like someone with a functioning brain will do.  No more paying guys not to play here, no exceptions.

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

This kind of move is what caused the issue in the first place, where our GMs created dead cap out of desperation instead of just waiting it out like someone with a functioning brain will do.  No more paying guys not to play here, no exceptions.

Weird cause I can't even remember the last time we retained salary on a trade...

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

Firstly there are 32 teams in the NHL so there are still opportunities to trade.

Secondly if you read the OP you would realise 2 of these 3 moves are proposed for the off season when teams will have more cap space.

Thirdly, these are trades that were suggested by fans of the teams I have proposed we trade with, so not some homer trades that I made up.

We are not offloading 15m in salary. Myers will only be owed 1m and Pearson 2.75m.

BUF has $17m in cap space this season. ARI has $40m in projected cap space next season, WPG has $15m. 

lol.. 

Your proposal is one out of hundreds that involve trading Pearson/Myers. Know why it hasn't happened? Because it is far off from reality.

You won't be able to offload Myer's contract without attaching a 1st round pick. The best management has snoped around was a 1:1 swipe with a bad contract, the Zaitsev swap. The problem is Zaitsev is also not a very good dman. You can continue these proposals and dream about offloading contracts for free or even value coming back.

It just won't happen. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Mittelstadt has been used as a winger in BUF lately (with Jost as their 3C), so I think BUF fans are thinking about upgrading to an offensive winger who may do better in a new setting.

That's fair; I think we should ask for an add though (if they won't give up a pick, take Asplund or Girgensons) since I have doubts about whether Casey becomes anymore than a tweener and trading Brock for him straight up seems like a loss IMO.  At least we'd have a solid bottom-6 player with energy and potential (Asplund) or size and defensive ability (Girgensons).

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

We just finished dealing with the Luongo debacle, and Benning bought out way too many players.  Let's learn from the mistakes of those idiots instead of repeating them.

Hmm yeah I don't have an issue with retaining on Pearson for 1 year to move him. We have too many wingers already - not just Bennings doing btw. The other option is to keep Pearson on the roster and not resign Kuzmenko. That way we have no dead cap, but we lose a decent player... 

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

lol.. 

Your proposal is one out of hundreds that involve trading Pearson/Myers. Know why it hasn't happened? Because it is far off from reality.

You won't be able to offload Myer's contract without attaching a 1st round pick. The best management has snoped around was a 1:1 swipe with a bad contract, the Zaitsev swap. The problem is Zaitsev is also not a very good dman. You can continue these proposals and dream about offloading contracts for free or even value coming back.

It just won't happen. 

You seem angry. Did you not get the Xmas present that you asked Santa for?