The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 05, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If he's getting 70-80 points his contract isn't an issue.  Miller has been a consistent PPG guy the entire time he's been here.  He was our MVP last year while Petey was struggling and people calling him to go play in Abby.  Sure, he hasn't had a great start to ths season, but I am looking at his entire body of work over the last 4 years, not just the last 40 games.

The talk that he is the locker room cancer is just that, we don't know what is going on behind the scenes, it is all speculation at this point.  At the end of the day, my opinion is that Horvat and Miller cannot co-exist.  If Miller was not around I would say heh, let's re-sign Horvat long term, and it probably would have gotten done in the summer at a much lower cost than today.  However, management went in the other direction and re-signed Miller instead.  I know that bothers you and I know you feel it will be a catastrophe if Horvat gets traded, but that is the route management has taken.

Maybe management has made a mistake.  We will find out at some point.  If they have then you can say "I told you so" and me and some others can eat crow...

I still believe they will rectify that mistake before the tdl

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO GMs, when given unrealistic directives from owners, make bad trades and bad signings. Benning tried to follow his owner’s direction, but it only made for a huge mess.  

We aimed low on that Stillman deal. We should have targeted a tougher defenseman like Gudas or Mayfield using a 2nd and Hogs or who ever. 

56 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Isn't that the truth.  John Shannon was on Donnie and Dhali and they wanted him to talk about Miller.  He shut them down and said our problem isn't Miller, it was our defence.  Which is 100% true.  Not only is it our defence, it is our forwards that don't know how to play defence.

We need more defensive forwards who know how to kill a penalty, and we need a major upgrade on the back end.  These issues are 1000x greater than JT Miller...

The 3rd line should be built as a checking line. Tough on the body and good against top lines. Pk and body checkers.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We aimed low on that Stillman deal. We should have targeted a tougher defenseman like Gudas or Mayfield using a 2nd and Hogs or who ever. 

I think Stillman will develop into a decent dman.  He's still got time to develop and has a good natural abilities 

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

The 3rd line should be built as a checking line. Tough on the body and good against top lines. Pk and body checkers.

You need three lines that can score to be successful these days.  Doesn't mean they cant be hard to play against, but they still have to contribute significant offense

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

You need three lines that can score to be successful these days.  Doesn't mean they cant be hard to play against, but they still have to contribute significant offense

We've got plenty of skill. But no defense. We are low on all defensi' ratings. We cannot score our way out of every situation especially the playoffs. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We've got plenty of skill. But no defense. We are low on all defensi' ratings. We cannot score our way out of every situation especially the playoffs. 

I agree, though I think the lion's share of that falls on poor coaching and poor defensive systems or lack thereof.  All lines, imo, should be made up of good 200ft players.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Exactly.  At one point our 3rd line consisted of Boeser, Garland and Dries.  No wonder we can't kill a penalty or hold on to a lead...

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly.  At one point our 3rd line consisted of Boeser, Garland and Dries.  No wonder we can't kill a penalty or hold on to a lead...

I just wanted know why Garland was such a beast 5 on 5 last year and not so much this year. Honestly if he played like last year we would be talking about possibly getting out first back 

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, though I think the lion's share of that falls on poor coaching and poor defensive systems or lack thereof.  All lines, imo, should be made up of good 200ft players.

Dries is a speedy offense type not a 3rd line style player. Studnicka is also a speed type not known for being a physical body checker. Boeser on the 3rd line is miscast. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

Dries is a speedy offense type not a 3rd line style player. Studnicka is also a speed type not known for being a physical body checker. Boeser on the 3rd line is miscast. 

I'm not saying they shouldn't reconstruct their third line, or any line for that matter.  I'm just saying you can't just rely on two lines for offense and two lines for defensive play.  You need string 200ft games from every line 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

Our top 6 is great. Lots of skill. Our 4th line has been good too. Our top pairing is great on the pp. Our bottom 2 pairings are a mystery and unpredictable in how they will play. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Our top 6 is great. Lots of skill. Our 4th line has been good too. Our top pairing is great on the pp. Our bottom 2 pairings are a mystery and unpredictable in how they will play. 

For me, it's just more evidence at how imbalanced the roster is and how crucial it is that they make the right moves, this season, to fix that 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

For me, it's just more evidence at how imbalanced the roster is and how crucial it is that they make the right moves, this season, to fix that 

Exactly. Stillman is more of a skill type too. And Dermott brings that now that he's back. Would have been better to get a tough shut down type with that 2nd. But we added some good new offensive pieces. But a tough dman would have been nice. 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Devron said:

I just wanted know why Garland was such a beast 5 on 5 last year and not so much this year. Honestly if he played like last year we would be talking about possibly getting out first back 

Maybe Garland wants to star in Vancouver. He knows if he plays well he’d get traded.  

• Cheers 1