(Proposal) Nux + Habs

RWJC

Thoughts?:

MTL acquires Garland + Rathbone

VAN acquires Hoffman + Xhekaj

Hoffman @ 4.5 for one more season

Xhekaj @ 0.828 for one more season

why does this deal transpire?:

Hoffman can fill a void on wing for next season (depending on whom else we trade out - eg. Boeser and/or Pearson) and let him walk as UFA at end. MTL is looking to dump him.

Xhekaj becomes our new Bieksa. Apparently Gorton isn’t fond of Xhekaj’s style of play, even though he’s a fan fave.

We do pick up another LHD, but one who is a tough SOB, young, will stand up for his teammates (like Schenn) and has good potential to be a long term fit on the blue line. Considering we have an abundance of similar middle pack D, let’s clear it out and add in the pieces we need for the future instead of stop gap players. 

I have a feeling this trade would end up serving MTL really well in the future, and us in the short term as an opp to move out surplus and with a decent enough return to consider it fair value, especially when other GMs know we are still over the barrel a bit when it comes to untangling our cap mess.

Edited by RWJC

Montreal isn’t moving Xhekaj. 

Also. I don’t see how this trade supposedly serves Montreals needs.  They already have a number of small wingers with more on the way.  They also have better offensive d prospects  than the undersized Rathbone.  Finally, they’re going to need the cap space from Hoffman’s expiring contract to pay for raises for guys like Caufield and Slafkovsky.  This trade doesn’t improve then, gives them two undersized redundant players and uses up valuable cap space down the line 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal isn’t moving Xhekaj. 

Also. I don’t see how this trade supposedly serves Montreals needs.  They already have a number of small wingers with more on the way.  They also have better offensive d prospects  than the undersized Rathbone.  Finally, they’re going to need the cap space from Hoffman’s expiring contract to pay for raises for guys like Caufield and Slafkovsky.  This trade doesn’t improve then, gives them two undersized redundant players and uses up valuable cap space down the line 

Sooooo, you’re saying there’s a chance… :bigblush:

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

What incentive does MTL have exactly to move Jackeye? Why do they need Garland when they are rebuilding?

Perhaps I have a different perspective on things, but I believe there are a number of GMs who feel they could squeeze much better value out of Garland and his contract. 

I factor in something that most people probably don’t when assessing Garland’s time with us. I include the caveat that most of our acquisitions, either by trade or free agency, over the majority of past seasons have all come to Vancouver and underperformed or had sub-par seasons. Soooo many players have “disappointed” fan expectation, but I don’t think it’s the player who is solely responsible. I think this club to a degree has become a graveyard for most of its non-home grown NHL level talent. 

Under the last regime, and even perhaps early into this new one, most of recycled personnel have cost us to part with or barely broke even on. These are seasoned pros who seem to fall off a cliff once they don our jersey. So many to list…but most recently we’ve seen Holtby, Dickinson, Schmidt, Halak to name just a few. This culture has been toxic going years back, especially when trying to integrate new faces. 

Because of that, I think most GMs are willing to extend an opportunity to some of what certain believe are just “cast-offs”.  Give Garland a chance with another club that can provide him some top 6 minutes and I think he revitalizes his career. I actually believe you could get 60+ per out of Garland with cohesive linemates (and I’m not talking McDrai).

At the very least I think his value can be greatly improved on another club. 

Rathbone has strong offensive upside and great skating. He needs to be paired with a defensive Dman. Let him play to his forte. In his stint with us, there were very few of those to go around and with such a small sample size that I think he is a tad bit undervalued. He has a lot of promise as a Tyson Barrie type. Although they are far from complete defensemen, they still are readily employed in important roles with NHL clubs. 

With Boner, some prospects also just stall out after too long with one org, especially an org that is notoriously poor at developing its own talent in recent years. I realize we’re changing our roster up now too and that another opportunity will be provided for Boner, but I’m not sure we have a roster spot for his type of Dman. Montreal does. For that reason, I think MTL takes him on at a very low cost/high upside acquisition. 

Hoffman is a straight up cap dump with one year left. He could be dealt for a laaate round pick at a TDL.

I thought up this dud of a trade proposal after reading the other day that privately Gorton had expressed to friends that he doesn’t value Xhekaj as highly as some and that he feels he could trade him for an overpayment. I’ll try and find a link and post it. Now, obviously it’s just hearsay/BS like every other pundit, but sometimes I just bite and daydream up garbage like this.

Anyway, the one thing that is notable to me, especially when referencing how many failures we’ve had when investing into acquisitions, isn’t just the number of them, but the anomalies that actually succeed in spite of the trend.
Kudos and respect to JTM.
He is our biggest success story. 

Let’s hope Kuz is the next in a long line and the start of multiple sound and smart investments into our roster. 

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Perhaps I have a different perspective on things, but I believe there are a number of GMs who feel they could squeeze much better value out of Garland and his contract. 

I factor in something that most people probably don’t when assessing Garland’s time with us. I include the caveat that most of our acquisitions, either by trade or free agency, over the majority of past seasons have all come to Vancouver and underperformed or had sub-par seasons. Soooo many players have “disappointed” fan expectation, but I don’t think it’s the player who is solely responsible. I think this club to a degree has become a graveyard for most of its non-home grown NHL level talent. 

Under the last regime, and even perhaps early into this new one, most of recycled personnel have cost us to part with or barely broke even on. These are seasoned pros who seem to fall off a cliff once they don our jersey. So many to list…but most recently we’ve seen Holtby, Dickinson, Schmidt, Halak to name just a few. This culture has been toxic going years back, especially when trying to integrate new faces. 

Because of that, I think most GMs are willing to extend an opportunity to some of what certain believe are just “cast-offs”.  Give Garland a chance with another club that can provide him some top 6 minutes and I think he revitalizes his career. I actually believe you could get 60+ per out of Garland with cohesive linemates (and I’m not talking McDrai).

At the very least I think his value can be greatly improved on another club. 

Rathbone has strong offensive upside and great skating. He needs to be paired with a defensive Dman. Let him play to his forte. In his stint with us, there were very few of those to go around and with such a small sample size that I think he is a tad bit undervalued. He has a lot of promise as a Tyson Barrie type. Although they are far from complete defensemen, they still are readily employed in important roles with NHL clubs. 

With Boner, some prospects also just stall out after too long with one org, especially an org that is notoriously poor at developing its own talent in recent years. I realize we’re changing our roster up now too and that another opportunity will be provided for Boner, but I’m not sure we have a roster spot for his type of Dman. Montreal does. For that reason, I think MTL takes him on at a very low cost/high upside acquisition. 

Hoffman is a straight up cap dump with one year left. He could be dealt for a laaate round pick at a TDL.

I thought up this dud of a trade proposal after reading the other day that privately Gorton had expressed to friends that he doesn’t value Xhekaj as highly as some and that he feels he could trade him for an overpayment. I’ll try and find a link and post it. Now, obviously it’s just hearsay/BS like every other pundit, but sometimes I just bite and daydream up garbage like this.

Anyway, the one thing that is notable to me, especially when referencing how many failures we’ve had when investing into acquisitions, isn’t just the number of them, but the anomalies that actually succeed in spite of the trend.
Kudos and respect to JTM.
He is our biggest success story. 

Let’s hope Kuz is the next in a long line and the start of multiple sound and smart investments into our roster. 

I don’t know where you’re getting the I go that Gorton doesn’t value Xhekaj. There are a number of reports that Gorton learned the value of players like him while he was with the Rangers and the team had no answer to the way Tom Wilson was manhandling Panarin. 

Also. Gorton isn’t the GM. Kent Hughes is. And both he and MSL clearly value what Xhekaj brings to the lineup.