The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals] Reshaping the Roster for Next Season, Plus Getting Picks & Cap Space

I'd love to see some aggressive moves to reshape our roster for next season, as well as increasing the number of higher round picks in the upcoming drafts, and creating cap flexibility for the future.

I would like to see our team become bigger, tougher, meaner, and better defensively. Basically get the support players that our inner core of Petey, Hughes & Demko need to succeed.

The proposed roster next season is not meant to be a long term perennial contender, just a stepping stone to becoming a playoff team. The young players added in trades, in addition to extra draft picks will be critical to future success.

Before the 2023 TDL:

image.png.64fcbcf35b9b37ce6b30f2ca8ac03652.png

image.png.bdb4091b09de49a1e17c4f56c77b142c.png

image.png.0e74daac8d7a3ff9f6a8e137935d716a.png

Prior to end of 2023 season:

Sign Jake Livingstone to 3 year ELC ($950k) and burn 1-year of contract to secure him.

Transactions in the offseason:

image.png.b48e79fef2d022591caa1587e77c6986.png

image.png.cf390a87fb1cad554a46e8c1fbd330b3.png

image.png.5d56a7fe3262fa1493ea6183a688755b.png

Picks in upcoming drafts:

image.thumb.png.6291d0179978e35e71e639c0914fe5ff.png

Signings for next season:

image.png.097c4946cc41ed22cfac4f5b10fa0043.png

Roster:

image.thumb.png.17e5aae78dc467d5fbacfe195a202b34.png

Significant Prospects not shown on Roster:

Morrow

Raty

Lekkerimaki

Aman

Klimovich

McDonough

Rathbone

Johansson

Jurmo

Silovs

Edited by BigTramFan
Displaying wrong
  • Like 1

That's too much lopsided in favor of the Canucks

1. Dermott + Joshua not worth 2nd rounder

2. Hogs+Stud+Stillman wouldn't get you Greenway and 2nd even on the PlayStation

3. Cal Foote would never sign that offer sheet

4. If Cal Foote signs that offer sheet Tampa matches and has to pinch themselves making sure they are not dreaming.

Got to assume if anyone would've been dangling a 2nd for Boeser it would have been done by not.  I don't see how we move him without taking another contract in.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I'd love to see some aggressive moves to reshape our roster for next season, as well as increasing the number of higher round picks in the upcoming drafts, and creating cap flexibility for the future.

I would like to see our team become bigger, tougher, meaner, and better defensively. Basically get the support players that our inner core of Petey, Hughes & Demko need to succeed.

The proposed roster next season is not meant to be a long term perennial contender, just a stepping stone to becoming a playoff team. The young players added in trades, in addition to extra draft picks will be critical to future success.

Before the 2023 TDL:

image.png.64fcbcf35b9b37ce6b30f2ca8ac03652.png

image.png.bdb4091b09de49a1e17c4f56c77b142c.png

image.png.0e74daac8d7a3ff9f6a8e137935d716a.png

Prior to end of 2023 season:

Sign Jake Livingstone to 3 year ELC ($950k) and burn 1-year of contract to secure him.

Transactions in the offseason:

image.png.b48e79fef2d022591caa1587e77c6986.png

image.png.cf390a87fb1cad554a46e8c1fbd330b3.png

image.png.5d56a7fe3262fa1493ea6183a688755b.png

Picks in upcoming drafts:

image.thumb.png.6291d0179978e35e71e639c0914fe5ff.png

Signings for next season:

image.png.097c4946cc41ed22cfac4f5b10fa0043.png

Roster:

image.thumb.png.17e5aae78dc467d5fbacfe195a202b34.png

Significant Prospects not shown on Roster:

Morrow

Raty

Lekkerimaki

Aman

Klimovich

McDonough

Rathbone

Johansson

Jurmo

Silovs

If the GM could pull these moves off that would be some major surgery I would say, nicely done! Not sure if we can get those returns for all the trades but I like them, especially dumping Myers, although I wouldn't retain 50% on Myers, let Chicago do that next TDL to get the higher draft pick. Chicago has the cap room, maybe they take him for free at the draft or after SB is paid July 1?

Sadly agree, I think we're over-valuing our players and chances there. The Myers deal is far too easy.

Realistically I think the Miller for KK/Morrow deal is a neat one personally. After that though if we want to be competitive, we need a proper 2C. KK is not that, not yet anyway.

There's not really any great ones out there in UFA, maybe Monahan, Puis Suter or Sundqvist? None of them are solid 60-70 point players though so we become pretty one dimensional up front. 

I think our best bet of trading Myers is this off-season to a contending team, with a 3rd party to take some of the cap. For example, we send Myers to Toronto with 1M retained, give 2M of his cap to some random bottom feeder and give them a 4-5th round pick in return, then we get some cap dump (although they don't really have anyone) like Kampf back (they have around 4M in cap space at the TDL thanks to LTIR). 

We simply have to sign a UFA top-4 defenceman to change the outlook of this D, whether it be Mayfield, Graves, Severson, whoever, throw 5M at one of these guys and they instantly drag the quality of this defence up. I know it seems like we're just making the same mistakes we did with Myers, but I'd be all over Graves who is relatively young and flourishing. I'd stay away from Severson and Gavrikov really because they'll get inflated salaries after big years (doesn't look like Severson's done much but look at his minutes - plays more than Dougie some nights).

Honestly at this rate I'd be down for a Boeser for Dumba trade. Again, I know he's not top notch quality but he may just need a change of scenery and he does play top-4 minutes on a successful team which is more than we can say for most of our team. Let him play out the year and hopefully we can re-sign him cheaply.

With Miller and Myers gone we save a lot of cap to get guys like Graves, Dumba (on the cheap) and Monahan. Of course they're not stars by any means but they're much better than Myers. We essentially trade a bunch of forwards for a bunch of defencemen.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Beauvillier - Monahan - Garland

Hoglander - KK - Podkolzin

Joshua - Lazar - Aman

Hughes - Bear

Graves - Dumba

OEL - Schenn

Morrow

4 hours ago, timberz21 said:

That's too much lopsided in favor of the Canucks

1. Dermott + Joshua not worth 2nd rounder

2. Hogs+Stud+Stillman wouldn't get you Greenway and 2nd even on the PlayStation

3. Cal Foote would never sign that offer sheet

4. If Cal Foote signs that offer sheet Tampa matches and has to pinch themselves making sure they are not dreaming.

Got to assume if anyone would've been dangling a 2nd for Boeser it would have been done by not.  I don't see how we move him without taking another contract in.

Thanks for your thoughts.

1. the 2nd rounder also includes dumping Khudobin's $3.33m salary for the Stars cup run

2. Greenway's value is at an all time low right now (6 pts in 39 games), MIN has been reported as looking to move his contract due to their cap issues next season. MIN gets 3 young roster players in the deal.

3. Foote is 3rd pairing guy in TBL. He will not get anything more from TBL due to their cap issues, but he may be interested in playing top pairing minutes alongside Hughes on a team that his father coaches.

Pressure to trade for a goal scorer like Boeser will be ramping up at the TDL. Not surprised that a deal hasn't been done yet, but firmly believe his value is easily a 2nd round pick. 

• Like 2

I would be kind of offended if we only got a 2nd for Brock. I know he’s had some down parts of the season and some injuries but he’s still a top 6 forward with potential to find his game and isn’t a rental. Bare minimum we should consider is a B prospect and a 2nd. He won’t get a Horvat return but he’s got value. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

I would be kind of offended if we only got a 2nd for Brock. I know he’s had some down parts of the season and some injuries but he’s still a top 6 forward with potential to find his game and isn’t a rental. Bare minimum we should consider is a B prospect and a 2nd. He won’t get a Horvat return but he’s got value. 

With no retention Vancouver will be lucky to find a taker, let alone get value. 

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

Thanks for your thoughts.

1. the 2nd rounder also includes dumping Khudobin's $3.33m salary for the Stars cup run

2. Greenway's value is at an all time low right now (6 pts in 39 games), MIN has been reported as looking to move his contract due to their cap issues next season. MIN gets 3 young roster players in the deal.

3. Foote is 3rd pairing guy in TBL. He will not get anything more from TBL due to their cap issues, but he may be interested in playing top pairing minutes alongside Hughes on a team that his father coaches.

Pressure to trade for a goal scorer like Boeser will be ramping up at the TDL. Not surprised that a deal hasn't been done yet, but firmly believe his value is easily a 2nd round pick. 

Buffalo likely has zero interest in Boeser.  If you haven’t looked they’ve scored the 4th most goals in the league this year.  A one dimensional winger  like Boeser won’t hold much appeal for them 

34 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Buffalo likely has zero interest in Boeser.  If you haven’t looked they’ve scored the 4th most goals in the league this year.  A one dimensional winger  like Boeser won’t hold much appeal for them 

Perhaps. But BUF are 2 wins out of a wild card spot, so they may be tempted to make an improvement before the TDL.

BUF are running with Peterka as their 2nd line winger, who has only 19 pts in 51 games. Boeser, who is having a down season, has scored 36 pts in 48 games. A 2nd round pick (the one they got from VGK) is cheap for a young top 6 winger. And I think Cozens play would ignite Boeser's offense.

7 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

How are people so negative on Brock? Take away the injuries and he’s a good productive player with a good shot. 

He’s not a great skater, streaky, injury prone,  and overpaid by about $1.5m (with another 2 seasons after this one) 

2 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

All the trades aside, and whether or not the other teams would accept them, the biggest issue I see on this list is that Jake Livingstone will be considered as a 24 year old when he signs his ELC this spring. That means that his contract can only be a 1 year deal.

That's your biggest issue? haha. So he signs an ELC for 1 season (likely lasting just a few days at the very end of this current season) and then we resign him on a less than $1m contract for 2 years. Seems quite plausible.

7 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Perhaps. But BUF are 2 wins out of a wild card spot, so they may be tempted to make an improvement before the TDL.

BUF are running with Peterka as their 2nd line winger, who has only 19 pts in 51 games. Boeser, who is having a down season, has scored 36 pts in 48 games. A 2nd round pick (the one they got from VGK) is cheap for a young top 6 winger. And I think Cozens play would ignite Boeser's offense.

Counting on another player to get him going seems disingenuous when he’s had solid line makes for most of the season (Horvat, Pettersson, Miller, Kuzmenko Mikheyev are his most common linenates) 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Counting on another player to get him going seems disingenuous when he’s had solid line makes for most of the season (Horvat, Pettersson, Miller, Kuzmenko Mikheyev are his most common linenates) 

He’s already had twice the production of Peterka, so I dont think BUF would be counting on an improvement. Just noting that I think there is a good chance of his production being even better than it is currently.

Horvat is not known for his ability to set up his wingers. And Boeser has been moved around so much this season, I don’t think it’s as simple as saying he’s always had good line mates.

25 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

He’s already had twice the production of Peterka, so I dont think BUF would be counting on an improvement. Just noting that I think there is a good chance of his production being even better than it is currently.

Horvat is not known for his ability to set up his wingers. And Boeser has been moved around so much this season, I don’t think it’s as simple as saying he’s always had good line mates.

Ok. But look at it from Buffalo’s point of view.  You have two 21 year old rookies.  Both making less than $1m a year for the next 2+ seasons.  Each has almost as many goals as Boeser (7/8 to Boeser’s 10). And Boeser only has 12 more points than Quinn and 16 more points than Peterka.  Is Boeser a big enough home run upgrade to justify close to an extra $6m cap hit fir the next 2+seasons?   I’d argue it’s not even remotely close.  If they want an upgrade on those guys they can find a pending UFA at the deadline thst won’t cost $6.65m and won’t block their 2 young guys moving forward 

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Ok. But look at it from Buffalo’s point of view.  You have two 21 year old rookies.  Both making less than $1m a year for the next 2+ seasons.  Each has almost as many goals as Boeser (7/8 to Boeser’s 10). And Boeser only has 12 more points than Quinn and 16 more points than Peterka.  Is Boeser a big enough home run upgrade to justify close to an extra $6m cap hit fir the next 2+seasons?   I’d argue it’s not even remotely close.  If they want an upgrade on those guys they can find a pending UFA at the deadline thst won’t cost $6.65m and won’t block their 2 young guys moving forward 

Yes I am also looking at it from Buffalo's pov too. And in my opinion Boeser is a cost effective upgrade and has potential to be a good long term fit on their roster. Appreciate your opinion is different. Thanks for the discussion. Cheers.  

7 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes I am also looking at it from Buffalo's pov too. And in my opinion Boeser is a cost effective upgrade and has potential to be a good long term fit on their roster. Appreciate your opinion is different. Thanks for the discussion. Cheers.  

You call close to an extra $6m for a minor  points upgrade cost effective?