The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] rebuilt defence

assumptions

• We can trade Myers after his bonus is paid this Summer (eg. to ARI, CHI or OTT)
  • We do not buyout OEL

strategy

• Acquire as much youth, size and shutdown ability we can, to build around Hughes and OEL (for now)
  • Be willing to pay (futures) for Hughes’ partner - it’s our greatest need
  • Lean on Foote and Gonchar to guide development of a young D core

target roster 

Hughes - Peeke  ——————balanced top pair

OEL - Livingstone —————- balanced second pair

Bahl - Korczak ——————— developing shutdown pair

Brisebois - Burroughs - ———quality, dependable depth

Demko

Silovs

transactions (these are the bones of the deals, add picks either way to balance value as needed)

1. Andrew Peeke - stylistic match for Huggy, bringing size (6’3” 195lb), physicality and shutdown ability. Only 24 y/o and locked up to a reasonable deal ($2.75M) until 2026. He’s appeared on trade target lists this deadline, and CLB is leading the tank race. Perhaps a package of our NYI 1st would get it done?  CLB also looks thin on wingers, and we have a few. It’s a steep price for our greatest need…pay it.

2. Jake Livingstone will be seeking his fastest path to the NHL. Offer him 2nd pair minutes with veteran OEL, under the tutelage of legend Adam Foote. His assignment is to be the steady defensive presence, allowing OEL to roam a little more. 6’4” 205 lbs, 24 y/o. on an ELC.

3. Kevin Bahl. 6’6” 230 lbs, 22 y/o shutdown D from New West, with upside. A pending RFA …swap rights with our own RFA Ethan Bear: a cheaper replacement for UFA Severson at 3RD, as they look for cap space to extend Meier. They have Brendan Smith locked up for another year that could replace Bahl at 3LD.

4. Kaedan Korczak. 6’3” 192 lb, 22 y/o shut down defensemen, buried in VGK RHD depth. They are thin on wingers, so swap Hoglander (picked one spot before KK in the draft), who’s in a similar situation, but with more NHL experience.  He has one more year on his ELC.

It’s a lot of youth, so we’d need to be patient.  If we get their development right, the additions should enter their prime in 3-5 years with a 27- 29 year old Petey.

What do you think?

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

If we can even acquire just two of these guys It would be a step on the right direction.

I like the idea of going after Kaedan korczak, I doubt Vegas does  a 1 for 1 for Hog but I would add a mid round pick to get it done honestly. Livingstone is also the other most realistic guy, hopefully he comes home. At the same time, asking him to step into top 4 could be a disaster waiting to happen.

As for Peeke I hear mixed reviews on him. I would like us to draft and develop another star Dman instead of trying to acquire one as always.

• Cheers 1

I don't know why they haven't worked towards a balanced line up like this before. Its like we wanted offensive defenseman and that's it. I think that the past regime may have thought the NHL has gotten faster and less physical play. 

This season it seems teams are realizing its more then that with the players that are being prized(i.e.Jeannot). 

I think there is something up with OEL, maybe a nagging injury or something, but he didn't look anything like he did last year. A more complimentary partner will definitely help him.

The proposal looks to be realistic and doable, with a few tweaks , but definitely the direction this team should be moving in bringing about a more balanced blue line.

• Cheers 1

How many of you think Schenn will be back in Vancouver next season?  Was there a gentlemen's agreement between him and the Canucks before he left for the Laffs?

Will Luke be in the Laffs lineup for the game Saturday afternoon?

9 hours ago, logic said:

If we can even acquire just two of these guys It would be a step on the right direction.

I like the idea of going after Kaedan korczak, I doubt Vegas does  a 1 for 1 for Hog but I would add a mid round pick to get it done honestly. Livingstone is also the other most realistic guy, hopefully he comes home. At the same time, asking him to step into top 4 could be a disaster waiting to happen.

As for Peeke I hear mixed reviews on him. I would like us to draft and develop another star Dman instead of trying to acquire one as always.

Good points

• Two of these targets would be a big step forward. Bear/Schenn could be a solid plan b.
  • Happy to add a mid pick or prospect to land KK
  • Livingstone in the top 4 is definitely the riskiest part of this proposal
  • I agree we should draft and develop D, but we also need a partner for QH43 now

What have you heard about Peeke?

3 hours ago, myre said:

I like your thinking, but I think they might cost a little more than what you're suggesting, especially the flip for bear

You might be right. Seems like there is decent demand for Bear, but I’d be willing to add to get the size and stylistic upgrade. 

Edited by Kenny Powers

38 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

How many of you think Schenn will be back in Vancouver next season?  Was there a gentlemen's agreement between him and the Canucks before he left for the Laffs?

Will Luke be in the Laffs lineup for the game Saturday afternoon?

I’m guessing he’s pencilled in as a likely plan b for our right side D.

I don't know much about Livingstone or Korczak, but Peeke and Bahl have been two guys on my radar. Bahl shoots left, Peeke right. I really think we need more help on right side defense than left, with Hughes and OEL solidly pencilled into the top 2 pairings. 

If there IS an agreement for Schenn to come back next year, I absolutely want him in the lineup if we can get him for not much more than he was paid this season. I think his leadership but obviously his hitting are important elements. As mentioned, there is currently no room for him until we figure out the Bear and Myers situations, and not sure how much others factor in like Poolman or Dermott. (The latter of which can play either side)

I also think if management thinks we will be able to compete in no more than 2 years that Severson HAS to be taken a look at.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Nathancanuck said:

In the offseason

Boeser, Myers and Rathbone to Chicago for Connor Murphy and a 7th

Sign Graves or Tryamkin

Hughes - Murphy

OEL -Baer

Graves/Tryamkin - Schenn

Brisebois

How did we get Luke back?

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

I don't know much about Livingstone or Korczak, but Peeke and Bahl have been two guys on my radar. Bahl shoots left, Peeke right. I really think we need more help on right side defense than left, with Hughes and OEL solidly pencilled into the top 2 pairings. 

If there IS an agreement for Schenn to come back next year, I absolutely want him in the lineup if we can get him for not much more than he was paid this season. I think his leadership but obviously his hitting are important elements. As mentioned, there is currently no room for him until we figure out the Bear and Myers situations, and not sure how much others factor in like Poolman or Dermott. (The latter of which can play either side)

I also think if management thinks we will be able to compete in no more than 2 years that Severson HAS to be taken a look at.

Here are links to KK and Livingstone, plus an exhaustive list of RHD options:

Edited by Kenny Powers

3 minutes ago, myre said:

I'm messing with you. You pointed out signing two other people but not him. I feel like we can't imagine him with anyone else except us haha

Yeah because it's the least important move and if he doesn't want to sign with us we will find a replacement.

More curious about what people think of signing Graves and trading for Murphy