The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Trade Day Edition

Rate this topic

Warhippy

1 minute ago, Mo Grit said:

Though, Quinn's honesty is giving us a crystal ball, isn't it?

We're gifted a glance into how we'll look in a couple of years from now, if we've not progressed enough to be competitive.

Had we owned that crystal ball three years ago, even Fransesco might have accepted a wholesale staff firing, embracing a full rebuild to clean house.

But three years ago no-one forecast the fantastic morphing of too-skinny Pettersson and too-small Hughes into today's elite talent.

They've worked their arses off and have earned the right to play for a contender.

There'll be a point in time where their premium trade value/existing contract connects with their realization that we're not getting to where they want us to be.

Will we be capable of seeing it?

Or even prepare for it with next trades or drafts.

I think that time will be over the next year and a half to two years...

And at that time, if Petey doesn't like, what he is seeing, he will be traded... at a premium. And probably QH too... but I think the team and the fans deserve to see, if PA can pull it off.... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

We have 1.7 million in space.  With 11 players hitting ufa or RFA status.  One being Ferland.  Holgander, Bear, Dermott, Focht and Kravstov being the most essential.

We didn't exactly gain or garner any cap space that is registered as being a considerable success

Not next season.   Would you have rather kept Horvat?   Not me.   This was a necessary trade following their plan.   Cap space in the future matters of course, one of Antony B, Brock, Mikheyev or Kuzmenko won't be on next years opening roster.    And hopefully that will also bring back something as well. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not next season.   Would you have rather kept Horvat?   Not me.   This was a necessary trade following their plan.   Cap space in the future matters of course, one of Antony B, Brock, Mikheyev or Kuzmenko won't be on next years opening roster.    And hopefully that will also bring back something as well. 

Yeah this is the frustrating piece of some of these conversations.

Bo HAD to get moved. He was way overperforming in a breakout year here, playing on a team that basically asked him to play no defensive system. What he's producing on NYI right now (30 goal / 50 point pace) is exactly what he is. 

People look at the 1st rounder we traded as our pick that we lost. We didn't lose our pick. The game plan was to trade Bo for a RHD, and because there was no direct trade partner, it had to be done indirectly.

Evaluating the trade on its merits:

Bo (50 point 2C) + Canucks 2023 2nd

for

Beauvillier (who incidentally is outpacing Bo right now) + Hronek + Raty + 2023 4th.

Is a good deal. 

People wanted Allvin to get some picks? Well we did. We picked up a 3rd and 2x 4ths basically for free. 

All of this happened in the same year that Allvin restocked our prospect cupboards adding:

- Filip Johansson (who may play for us as our 3RD next year)

- Nils Aman (who stepped in to play as our 4C)

- Aatu Raty (a potential future 2C for us)

- EP2 (playing big SHL minutes as a 19 year old, future defenseman for us)

- Josh Bloom 

While simultaneously adding very good roster players for either cheap or free (in terms of assets given up)

- Kuzmenko (top line winger on pace for 40 goals)

- Mikheyev (top 6 penalty killing winger)

- Bear

- Kravtsov

People should look at what he was given, vs what we have now (asset wise). Its incredibly difficult to turn nothing into something, which is what hes done. Hes given up next to nothing, and added a ton. 

People also forget that we had no goaltending most of this year. These past couple games are a reminder that our team is actually better than it looked in front of Delia/Martin. 

Im excited for this offseason and for next year. I understand what this management team is trying to do, and its the most logical path forward, unless youre willing to truly go full Arizona and get rid of EP Hughes and Demko. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Yeah this is the frustrating piece of some of these conversations.

Bo HAD to get moved. He was way overperforming in a breakout year here, playing on a team that basically asked him to play no defensive system. What he's producing on NYI right now (30 goal / 50 point pace) is exactly what he is. 

People look at the 1st rounder we traded as our pick that we lost. We didn't lose our pick. The game plan was to trade Bo for a RHD, and because there was no direct trade partner, it had to be done indirectly.

Evaluating the trade on its merits:

Bo (50 point 2C) + Canucks 2023 2nd

for

Beauvillier (who incidentally is outpacing Bo right now) + Hronek + Raty + 2023 4th.

Is a good deal. 

People wanted Allvin to get some picks? Well we did. We picked up a 3rd and 2x 4ths basically for free. 

All of this happened in the same year that Allvin restocked our prospect cupboards adding:

- Filip Johansson (who may play for us as our 3RD next year)

- Nils Aman (who stepped in to play as our 4C)

- Aatu Raty (a potential future 2C for us)

- EP2 (playing big SHL minutes as a 19 year old, future defenseman for us)

- Josh Bloom 

While simultaneously adding very good roster players for either cheap or free (in terms of assets given up)

- Kuzmenko (top line winger on pace for 40 goals)

- Mikheyev (top 6 penalty killing winger)

- Bear

- Kravtsov

People should look at what he was given, vs what we have now (asset wise). Its incredibly difficult to turn nothing into something, which is what hes done. Hes given up next to nothing, and added a ton. 

People also forget that we had no goaltending most of this year. These past couple games are a reminder that our team is actually better than it looked in front of Delia/Martin. 

Im excited for this offseason and for next year. I understand what this management team is trying to do, and its the most logical path forward, unless youre willing to truly go full Arizona and get rid of EP Hughes and Demko. 

Team needs some work still. We need to shed salary on the wings. Garland or Boeser are not 3rd line wingers. I personally would trade Boeser and we need to add a defenively responsible 3rd line center that isn't overpaid. I proposed: 

Wild: Boeser (15% retention)

Nucks: Hartman and 2nd rounder 

Also:

1. Signing Mcdonaugh & J.Livingstone should be a huge priority. 

2. Trading Myers after July.1 at 50% retention. 

3. Acquiring a defensively responsible winger/center something like: 

Boston: Rathbone and a 3rd 

Nucks: Frederic 

Need to get better on the PK and add additional grit. 

4. Signing a gritty defensive left handed dman for example Gavrikov, Soucy, Tryamkin should help the penalty kill. 

5. Resigning Bear on a 2 year 2-2.25 per would be ideal. 

6. Let Silovs battle it out with Martin for Backup duties. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Team needs some work still. We need to shed salary on the wings. Garland or Boeser are not 3rd line wingers. I personally would trade Boeser and we need to add a defenively responsible 3rd line center that isn't overpaid. I proposed: 

Wild: Boeser (15% retention)

Nucks: Hartman and 2nd rounder 

Also:

1. Signing Mcdonaugh & J.Livingstone should be a huge priority. 

2. Trading Myers after July.1 at 50% retention. 

3. Acquiring a defensively responsible winger/center something like: 

Boston: Rathbone and a 3rd 

Nucks: Frederic 

Need to get better on the PK and add additional grit. 

4. Signing a gritty defensive left handed dman for example Gavrikov, Soucy, Tryamkin should help the penalty kill. 

5. Resigning Bear on a 2 year 2-2.25 per would be ideal. 

6. Let Silovs battle it out with Martin for Backup duties. 

I agree with you completely. Need to move out Boeser and Myers.

Need to ++ on some defensive defensemen (one LHD stay at home at minimum - would go a LONG way.)

and need to add a penalty killing 3c. doesnt have to score, just has to not let play die on their stick, and be very good on the PK and block shots.

And we're in really good shape.