The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 06, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

We've been trying to trade these bums for two years. As others have mentioned if it was so easy it would be done and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Hopefully it's as easy as a lot of people seem to think. We shall see. I would be very happy to be wrong.

We have no idea the ask for either player - it’s a huge difference asking for a 2nd rounder in return and being willing to eat cap or attach a pick to a player.

The last rumour I heard around Boeser was a 2nd rounder in return.  Management isn’t asking for a bag of pucks like a lot of fans seem to be happy to accept. 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

How is that the lesser of two evils?  OEL will be back to being a solid dman now that they have a good defensive system and demko back.  Hard to be effective when there is no defensive structure and your goalies combined save % is in the .880's.

OEL was bad in Arizona too, he was bad here and he still is that's 3 coaches. His game has fallen off, his underlying and obvious  numbers are terrible and this blueline does not look worse without him....he has the worst +/- on the team.... That's my point. I don't know why it's so hard for some fans to admit he's just not anywhere near the player he used to be, and having a roster spot open for someone else to complete and play isn't a bad thing. You have to earn the spot, and if someone is playing better than him they should play, pure and simple. 

I do agree, having Demko back will help and seemingly better structure under Tocchet...but that's just masking the problem of him not playing well at all. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

3 hours ago, stawns said:

C'mon, do you really believe anything coming out of the mouths of this management group?  

To be fair, in large part they have done most things they said they were going to do....

Acquire players 25 or younger - done

Acquire RHD defenseman 25 or younger - done

Aquire picks/prospects - Done - with a caveat of using them to acquire young RHD

What they haven't done yet is create cap space - they did but then they acquired Hronek which achieved something they said they were going to do but also canceled out one of these thigs (cap space). The cap space will be on off season task i'm sure. It's really tough to do one thing in  this league without sacrificing the other, acquiring young RHD while not giving away picks or blue chip prospects is pretty much impossible. 

We can't improve the blueline without  giving anything up....some want to improve the blueline but also keep all our picks and young players....doesn't work that way.

Edited by Harold Drunken

5 hours ago, jyu said:

Allvin should be fired if he brings up OEL buyout.

What is wrong with this statement? All I hear is your Swedish bias towards a Swedish GM.

Lol, backtracking a bit ha… What has any bias against swedes with you not being honest?

And why are you talking about bias? 
Haven’t you realised yet that I try to be objective in every situation?

That PA is miles better than JB is something that is official already through all the aquisitions to the roster.

you said ”The notion of OEL buy out is crazy. Allvin should be fired for even bringing it up.”

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Lol, backtracking a bit ha… What has any bias against swedes with you not being honest?

And why are you talking about bias? 
Haven’t you realised yet that I try to be objective in every situation?

That PA is miles better than JB is something that is official already through all the aquisitions to the roster.

you said ”The notion of OEL buy out is crazy. Allvin should be fired for even bringing it up.”

Backtracking? lol

Yes, Allvin should be fired for even bringing it up. I didn't say he brought it up yet, I said he should be fired though, if he were to bring it up. What's so hard to understand?

Not quite sure where you get the notion of me being dishonest. I'm the most honest poster in this forum, don't you know?

You are biased. In particular, your bias against JB is otherwordly. And you getting riled up at the mention of the word "fire" of your beloved Swedish GM... to call someone else dishonest without really anything to go on about... tsk tsk tsk just pathetic.

Everyone is biased. Only the most biased ones deny that they are biased. I know it's between you and @Alflives when it comes to the most biased here -- at least Alf is a Canucks fan. You are just here for Pettersson and Swedes. Pettersson and Swedes over Vancouver Canucks for you, isn't it?

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I kind of did, kinda didn't. I'm not sure what they're going to do to get under the cap but if it's anything like the Dickinson move I'm a going to hate it. Obviously at this point picks are useless to our purpose so they'll be going out the window for help now. It is what it is. Again my concern is instead of waiting during these two years for the contracts to naturally fall off they are going to blindly push forward and make signings like the Pearson, and Dickinson just to use what little space they get as soon as they get it ... pushing us right back up against the cap yet again instead of waiting to see what we actually need if and when we are competing.

Let’s see how he frees up cap.

I don’t think we’ll be giving up significant sweeteners to offload contracts. 

Maybe some retention on Boeser, and future considerations for Myers. If we give up anything more than a 4th, I’d be surprised.

27 minutes ago, jyu said:

Backtracking? lol

Yes, Allvin should be fired for even bringing it up. I didn't say he brought it up yet, I said he should be fired though, if he were to bring it up. What's so hard to understand?

Not quite sure where you get the notion of me being dishonest. I'm the most honest poster in this forum, don't you know?

You are biased. In particular, your bias against JB is otherwordly. And you getting riled up at the mention of the word "fire" of your beloved Swedish GM... to call someone else dishonest without really anything to go on about... tsk tsk tsk just pathetic.

Everyone is biased. Only the most biased ones deny that they are biased. I know it's between you and @Alflives when it comes to the most biased here -- at least Alf is a Canucks fan. You are just here for Pettersson and Swedes. Pettersson and Swedes over Vancouver Canucks for you, isn't it?

You missed the word ”if”.

Benning is the worst GM I heard or seen of and he was dishonest and tried to save his own face in different situations. 
I’ve been ver open with how bad as a leader he was. 

7 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Benning is the worst GM I heard or seen of and he was dishonest and tried to save his own face in different situations. 

I don't know. As a Canucks fan, I feel thankful to him for drafting Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko.

I watch the games just to see the three of them perform magic every night.

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't think theyll sacrifice prospects to move people out, especially Myers who will have actual value at the tdl.  Why would they pay to move him when they can wait 5 months and get paid to move him.

OEL has a NMC, so it would be way to expensive to move him and he'll be back to being a solid dman under the new system.  I think they have to ride out two seasons with OEL and then decide what to do.

We still have to move bodies before 2023 season starts as we will be over the cap. 

Myers shouldn't cost anything to move this summer after his bonus is paid out. 

Maybe a 2024 4th at worst. 

Yes we will most likely have to keep OEL for now but if his play doesn't improve we may have to move him eventually as 7+m is way too much to spend on a bottom pairing D man (if he doesn't improve his play) . I'm secretly hoping an OEL Hronek pairing works out but OEL hasn't shown me any evidence that that'll work. In fact his foot speed seems to be getting slower and slower already where I never thought his skating would be an issue as the contract ages. I'm hoping it was due to injury and this time off will help him. 

In a perfect world... 

We move Garland and Myers this summer 

Sign a UFA top 4D (Gavrikov or Severson) 

Sign Livingstone 

UFA RHD takes over Myers spot and plays top 4 on a pairing with Hughes. OEL pairs with Hronek. Livingstone and whoever plays final pairing... 

Move Boeser to top 6 and pray he has a big year and trade him 2024 tdl with minimal retainment (hopefully none) 

Use that money to re-sign Petey 

Hogz, Karlsson and Klim move up and look good taking over Garland, Brocks spots... 

If our PK is better and we are in the top half of the league with a healthy Demko, I think we would be a wild card team as fast as next year. 

Reevaluate market the following year and see if someone is willing to take OEL with a sweetener (futures). Use OEL's contract to sign a legit top 4 D. 

54 minutes ago, jyu said:

I don't know. As a Canucks fan, I feel thankful to him for drafting Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko.

Yeah, tgere is a lot of fans here that think only scouting is what a GM should do.

Don’t bother that there is an insane amount of people working with scouting in the organisation.

Here we can talk about bias towards the so called leader.

Even if Benning only said yes to what the scouts proposed it is Benning that scouted and watched a lot of games with every single player plus endless videos, not the scouts.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, jyu said:

Let’s talk about bias then.

Who am I biased against and how.

If it’s swedes, tell me more.

Benning is a bad GM wich I’m far from being the only one on this forum to say.

But let’s see if you can put words to who I’m biased against.

I would rather say that the ones bringing bias up in a discussion think most biased because otherwise they would argument instead of trying a cheap shot. B)

Myers trade before '24 TDL $6m

Boes + Gar traded in offseason with retention  (1.5m for Boes; 1m for Garland)

Poolman + Pears will be bought out, if not on LTIR

They will hold off on any decisions regarding OEL.  He has struggled with an injury for most of the season.

See if he is in better condition at next season training camp and preseason.

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Myers trade before '24 TDL $6m

Boes + Gar traded in offseason with retention  (1.5m for Boes; 1m for Garland)

Poolman + Pears will be bought out, if not on LTIR

They will hold off on any decisions regarding OEL.  He has struggled with an injury for most of the season.

See if he is in better condition at next season training camp and preseason.

Seems reasonable, but I hope we don’t need to retain on Garland.

Agree on OEL. If he can return to last years form, he can partner with Hronek. 

Edited by Kenny Powers

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Let’s talk about bias then.

Who am I biased against and how.

If it’s swedes, tell me more.

Benning is a bad GM wich I’m far from being the only one on this forum to say.

But let’s see if you can put words to who I’m biased against.

I would rather say that the ones bringing bias up in a discussion think most biased because otherwise they would argument instead of trying a cheap shot. B)

OK. Here's an example of your bias.

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Yeah, tgere is a lot of fans here that think only scouting is what a GM should do.

Don’t bother that there is an insane amount of people working with scouting in the organisation.

Here we can talk about bias towards the so called leader.

Even if Benning only said yes to what the scouts proposed it is Benning that scouted and watched a lot of games with every single player plus endless videos, not the scouts.:rolleyes:

So Benning gets no credit but the scouts.

How about OEL trade? There are lots of pro scouts hired by this team and even the Sedins vouched for OEL. But it's all JB's fault.

If we make a good decision and draft a good player, it's not on Benning. If we make a bad trade, it's all on Benning.

Benning wasn't the greatest GM by any measure and your bias is on par with Benning's greatness as a GM. Surely he did some good but to you, he is dishonest and unprofessional, and what other words have you used to describe him before?

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

It's fair to criticize the GM but when you do, try to see the good and the bad instead of just the bad. You know what? It doesn't matter, do whatever you want. You aren't going to give a $hit about this team the moment Petey leaves the team anyways. 

5 hours ago, jyu said:

Let's not sit here ans act like Pettersson and Hughes were some diamond in the rough scouting wizardry...they were pretty obvious picks. Benning was the GM for 7 years, if all we can thank him for is 2 top 10 picks and a goalie its kinda just proving the original point. If you add up how many picks in his 7 year run are on the team its not impressive, at all.

Edited by Harold Drunken

1 minute ago, Harold Drunken said:

Let's not sit here ans act like Pettersson and Hughes were some diamond in the rough scouting wizardry...they were pretty obvious picks. Benning was the GM for 7 years, if all we can thank him for is 2 top 10 picks and a goalie its kinda just proving the original point. 

They were not easy picks. Hindsight is always 20/20. 

I’ll just put one quote here:

“That’s a small body”

- Burke

2 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Let's not sit here ans act like Pettersson and Hughes were some diamond in the rough scouting wizardry...they were pretty obvious picks. Benning was the GM for 7 years, if all we can thank him for is 2 top 10 picks and a goalie its kinda just proving the original point. If you add up how many picks in his 7 year run are on the team its not impressive, at all.

About the other point regarding benning’s seven years, yeah i don’t think he did a great job and that’s why he’s gone. 

But he did do good as well. Two major goods were petey and hughes. There are others. For example developing Horvat under Sutter and Beagle — putting aside their overpaid salaries, those guys took on the hard minutes. And there’s also development of Marky behind Miller and subsequently Demko behind Marky. 

And of course, there are many bad moves as well. His biggest downfall was the lenient management of the cap space. It caught up to him eventually and forced him into making ill advised moves.  OEL was a terrible move as well. All of it stemming from his lenient use of cap space. 

49 minutes ago, jyu said:

About the other point regarding benning’s seven years, yeah i don’t think he did a great job and that’s why he’s gone. 

But he did do good as well. Two major goods were petey and hughes. There are others. For example developing Horvat under Sutter and Beagle — putting aside their overpaid salaries, those guys took on the hard minutes. And there’s also development of Marky behind Miller and subsequently Demko behind Marky. 

And of course, there are many bad moves as well. His biggest downfall was the lenient management of the cap space. It caught up to him eventually and forced him into making ill advised moves.  OEL was a terrible move as well. All of it stemming from his lenient use of cap space. 

I agree his stamp is definitely on the team, no GM has a perfect record at the end of the day. 

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, jyu said:

They were not easy picks. Hindsight is always 20/20. 

I’ll just put one quote here:

“That’s a small body”

- Burke

Hughes was highly, highly rated. They were both projected top 10 if I'm not mistaken.  People like to think Pettersson was some unknown or dark horse...he wasn't....he was on pretty much every scouts and analysts draft board top 10 near the draft. They were good picks, but they weren't wizardry or off the board miracles.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, jyu said:

OK. Here's an example of your bias.

So Benning gets no credit but the scouts.

How about OEL trade? There are lots of pro scouts hired by this team and even the Sedins vouched for OEL. But it's all JB's fault.

If we make a good decision and draft a good player, it's not on Benning. If we make a bad trade, it's all on Benning.

Benning wasn't the greatest GM by any measure and your bias is on par with Benning's greatness as a GM. Surely he did some good but to you, he is dishonest and unprofessional, and what other words have you used to describe him before?

It's fair to criticize the GM but when you do, try to see the good and the bad instead of just the bad. You know what? It doesn't matter, do whatever you want. You aren't going to give a $hit about this team the moment Petey leaves the team anyways. 

You’re stuck with that a GMs first job is as a scout.

So, no, that isn’t bias I talk about.

It’s a bad leader.