The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Mar. 19, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

I have a strong feeling that, baring a surprise trade and the draft, JT will be the next captain. That frees Petey up to just do what he does best, dominate. Plus, when was the last time a non-north american captain won the cup? I don't know, I'm just asking. 

I'd be good with this and think it would get the best out of J.T. putting him in a position where he can't go negative emotionally. 

10 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I'd be good with this and think it would get the best out of J.T. putting him in a position where he can't go negative emotionally. 

Honestly...I wouldn't bet on JT not going negative emotionally on occasion. And that's ok. We don't need passive acceptance that says "it's ok, everything's fine". Sometimes that raw emotion is necessary and wakes people up. It's dissatisfaction...mostly with self and it's also self corrected and RT is really helping with that. We have a coach who's working them hard and that's obvious in how JT plays. What people viewed as "lazy" was sometimes just being gassed and, at other times yes, emotion where he got caught up in it momentarily and it got the better of him. He'd usually come out the next shift with fire. That low rumbling as he glided off the ice and slammed the gate was shortlived.

But it's not indifference or not caring and that matters. A guy who cares too much is a much better alternative.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

Honestly...I wouldn't bet on JT not going negative emotionally on occasion. And that's ok. We don't need passive acceptance that says "it's ok, everything's fine". Sometimes that raw emotion is necessary and wakes people up. We have a coach who's working them hard and that's obvious in how JT plays. What people viewed as "lazy" was sometimes just being gassed and, at other times yes, emotion where he got caught up in it momentarily and it got the better of him. He'd usually come out the next with fire.

But it's not indifference or not caring and that matters. A guy who cares too much is a much better alternative.

Yeah, he probably still would sometimes but it's all about channeling it with him.  He's way too hard on himself at times.  His fire is a major asset when he handles it right and he's a very smart guy who can learn to do that.  I think Tocchet gets J.T. and will help him there. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yeah, he probably still would sometimes but it's all about channeling it with him.  He's way too hard on himself at times.  His fire is a major asset when he handles it right and he's a very smart guy who can learn to do that.  I think Tocchet gets J.T. and will help him there. 

Hopefully he's able to channel that on a new team.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Muttley said:

You could be quite right. He has the attitude in the dressing room, we saw that in the bubble and many other times. When you have a Miller, a Pettersson and a Hughes,

you have a tremendous leadership core. All three will speak their mind for the good of the team. And to straighten out reporters that don't no, you know....

Sadly, the PR people got their hooks into Petey and the alien death stare is no longer, but it was great while it lasted. Him and J.T. tag teaming the local media would have been a wonder to behold. 

7 hours ago, aznmonk said:

Yeah make it to post season and all our guys are all gased out. Next thing we lose in 4 games. Demko reinjures his lower body. Boeser has another hissy fit.  Petey changes his stick flex. Kuz eating apples instead of bananas.  10 game losing streak at the beginning of the season because the nhl gave us the toughest schedule. Back to square one fires the coach goes on a winning streak at end of season because we are playing easy teams,  recycle foe another 60 years! 

7595b906a311af46e97096438d2f3604.jpg

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yeah, because he wants to be somewhere else, right?

Because they need cap space, they need more depth and they need players in a lower age bracket.  A miller trade will accomplish all of that.

This team still needs a lot of work and you're not going to get it done by trading players teams don't want 

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why not?

because he seems to always have his nose in the GM's business, not allowing them to actually do their jobs. Trust your employees, is a successful motto to use. Don't micro-manage it to death. 

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

Because they need cap space, they need more depth and they need players in a lower age bracket.  A miller trade will accomplish all of that.

This team still needs a lot of work and you're not going to get it done by trading players teams don't want 

Your plan, not "the" plan according to management.

You won't get it done by trading away one of the driving forces on the team either. You create more holes than you fill that way. But I'm glad the powers that be see that, even if some fans don't.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

because he seems to always have his nose in the GM's business, not allowing them to actually do their jobs. Trust your employees, is a successful motto to use. Don't micro-manage it to death. 

You have evidence of this I assume?

Do you think it's inappropriate for a business owner to be involved in the business he owns?

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't be against it on principle but the return would have to be better than what we got for Bo.  Since we're playing our way out of the top C prospects in this year's draft, the return would probably have to include a prospect who could take over at 2C.  That wouldn't be an easy deal to make.  The team definitely needs a lot of work but it also has some great core pieces, of whom Miller is one.  Subtracting him in addition to Bo is probably a deeper reset than management has in mind, but it all depends on what they could get.  I agree that he's not untouchable like Petey and Hughes, but the last year plus suggests that they'd be looking to win any deal for him and that he wouldn't be a cap dump. 

Just now, stawns said:

You have evidence of this I assume?

Do you think it's inappropriate for a business owner to be involved in the business he owns?

I've worked for micro managers before...and you can't do ANYTHING without their nose in your business, second guessing your every decision. I'm the expert, that's why you hired me. Don't question my EVERY move. If you think that you can do better, than YOU DO IT. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

I've worked for micro managers before...and you can't do ANYTHING without their nose in your business, second guessing your every decision. I'm the expert, that's why you hired me. Don't question my EVERY move. If you think that you can do better, than YOU DO IT. 

But sometimes they realize they hired someone who is incompetent.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Iron Man said:

All of a sudden, we're creeping back towards .500. Who would've thought?

Literally everyone on team tank that has seen this movie on repeat season after season.

Shocker that once the pressure is off this bad team can beat terrible teams.  This run will once again convince the optimists that this team is a playoff contender.  They'll spend the offseason highlighting the record for a small portion of the overall season as proof this is a good team.

This will not be a good team until:

1. We lose OEL.

2. We lose Myers

3. We have a better farm team.

Our prospect cupboard looks like we've been a contender for a decade, not like a team that hasn't earned a playoff game in a decade.

• Wat 2

7 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I wouldn't be against it on principle but the return would have to be better than what we got for Bo.  Since we're playing our way out of the top C prospects in this year's draft, the return would probably have to include a prospect who could take over at 2C.  That wouldn't be an easy deal to make.  The team definitely needs a lot of work but it also has some great core pieces, of whom Miller is one.  Subtracting him in addition to Bo is probably a deeper reset than management has in mind, but it all depends on what they could get.  I agree that he's not untouchable like Petey and Hughes, but the last year plus suggests that they'd be looking to win any deal for him and that he wouldn't be a cap dump. 

Apparently there was an offer from pittsburgh ( i think before tdl)

Pittsburgh offer was picks only for Miller, Allvin countered requesting a C to replace Miller.  Hextall refused and went and acquired Bonino and Granlund ( I'd be pissed if I was Crosby or Gino)

the C the canucks would have targetted by their criteria. under 25 could use a change of scenery.

Samuel Poulin & Filip Hallander plus a pick or two? I'd rather wait for a better deal.

edit* i dont mean both of Hallander and Poulin

Edited by GhostsOf1994