The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your 23-24 Canucks [Proposal]

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's way too much for what Bear provides. Sad to see him go, but it's bye bye to the Huggy-Bear duo. And it's hello to Huggy-Woo! 

I was with you until the end.

Woo has only excelled for 1/3 of a season so far in the AHL. I don't think he's anywhere near ready for the big leagues. 

Up until the end of this past season he was struggling to find his footing, healthy scratched occasionally, and even dressed as an extra forward.

I like some of the tools he has, but he hasn't shown the ability to put it all together consistently.

I would say with a D core that is likely to consist of 3-4 fringe NHL capable defenceman, we can't afford to add another to the mix.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, MattWN. said:

Cya Bear. We could spend that in free agency and get a much better defenceman. Even better, we could add 1 or 2 mil and get a defenceman far superior. Consider Mayfield may only take what...4M to sign, I'd rather do that than have Bear at 2.6M. Soucy was on a 2.7M deal last year, I know he's a LD but I'd take Soucy over Bear.

On 4/27/2023 at 1:40 PM, MattWN. said:

Considering only two of those players are true NHL calibre dmen, I'd say there is still a need to sign Schenn, and even then I think Schenn is a bottom pairing player. 

If you ran with those guys, you would get caved in every single night. 

Yes.   Personally quite sure the Canucks will offer Schenn a deal.    They treated him well, a lot of teams were after him,  and they likely could have got a better 3rd even ... gave him time with his wife, respected that.     These guys know family time comes second often, it's part of the exchange, well worth it IMO, lots of trades require that and make peanuts instead.    Anyways, I like Schenn and think he'd make a great stop gap while we try and find younger upgrades.   Reminds me a lot of Mitchell.     Myers likely is playing his last season with us.    Hronek/Bear/Myers/Schenn .... is probably who we run with. 

Agree that we have enough players who can put the puck in the net (or at least close to it, lol).  We need a shut down defenseman who still can move the puck out of his own end of the ice.  I would try and bring back Schenn as the 7th guy on the roster.  I am sure if the Laughs bow out in the first or second round he would be willing to come back to the West Coast for a decent salary.

On 4/25/2023 at 9:07 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I also doubt Schenn is coming back - why would he after the success he's having in Toronto?

I'm sorry success in TO...what success is that exactly?!? Schenn left back to back stanley cup championship team Tampa Bay to be close to home where he lives in Kelowna, hence why he signed in Vancouver I would have to think. Do the Canucks offer him a contract, I am not sure... he is getting older but we could use his grit and leadership there is no doubt about that.