The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your 23-24 Canucks [Proposal]

OK, every year or two I put forth the changes I think the team should make, and this offseason is no different. Flame away.

- Sign Schenn - 2 years, 1.5m per - Schenn brings much needed toughness, fighting, and hitting to our lineup. He wants to be here, and should sign pretty cheap.
- Sign Domi 1 year, 3.5m per - I know Domi is a polarizing figure, but I think he would be a good fit. If he buys into our system, and playing with guys like Miller and Garland, it should provide a good environment for him to escalate his game. The 1 year allows him to move on or get traded at deadline to make room for the upcoming contracts in 24-25, and the short term provides us insurance should his health (diabetes) be a major issue.
- Sign Barbashev - 3 years, 3m per - A natural fit to fill an all-Russian 3rd line.
- Sign Talbot as our backup - 1 year, 2m. (I might be undervaluing him a touch?)
- Re-Sign Burroughs - 2 years, 1m per - An extra, but a good one.
- Re-Sign Bear - 4 years, 3m per - Not sure if we can get him for 3 or not, but management seems to think he's part of the answer and I don't think he's worth more than that.
- Trade Beauvillier for a high 2nd - I like Beauvillier ok, but trade high. 
- Trade Myers for a 7th - Get him the heck out. He should be able to get something small back to a cap-floor team, after his bonus is paid. (1m real money I think?) Bringing Schenn back replaces (and improves upon) his hitting and toughness, and from a defensive standpoint, Bear is a much better option. Essentially, he's 100% expendable. 

Kuzmenko Petey Boeser - 19.5
Domi Miller Garland  - 16.25
Mikheyev Barbashev Podkolzin - 9.5
Joshua Studnika Hoglander - 2.5

Hughes Kronek - 12.25
OEL Bear - 10.25
Hirose Schenn - 2.5

Demko, Talbot - 7m

Extras: Dries, Aman, DGP, Burroughs, Wolanin - Under 3 (3 out of 4 active)

Cap space: 85M
This Roster: 83M

Overall:
- I don't think the D is as good as it could be if we were to bring in a defensive stalwart to play with Hughes. But it's more an addition by subtraction of Myers kind of scenario, and I think with Kronek already being brought in and the solid play of Hirose, this d core is notably better than before.
- This lineup solves our 3rd line center issue in a big way, and IMO Domi is the kind of guy who will produce at LEAST as much as Beauvillier, but also has the potential to be darn near a point-a-game player if we're lucky.
- Talbot provides the stable backup goaltending we require, and some level of insurance should Demko go down again. 
- The extra players I selected are the same players we've already used either as regulars, or as backups. Either way, they are capable depth at minimal cost.
- The cap is expected to go as high as 86m. I assumed 85m. But this team fits under a 83m cap, so we're protected there too.

• Cheers 2

Don't like signing Bear for 3M and Barbashev and Domi for that much. I don't hate Domi but think there's better options out there. I also doubt Schenn is coming back - why would he after the success he's having in Toronto? Also, Myers is going to cost us something to move if we're lucky.

My tweaks:

1) Sign Kampf to a relatively cheap deal (2-3M) as our 3rd line center.

2) Trade Myers to anyone and give them one of our 3rds for the hassel.

3) I like the idea of moving Beauvillier. I'd be ecstatic if we can recoup a 2nd (and then use that to draft a defenceman like Strbak, Bonk/Allen etc.), or I recently mentioned targetting a rebuilding team like Montreal/Arizona and trying to get a young depth guy like McBain (big, strong center with 20-30 points last year, might be on the up)

4) Sort out the defence - go big game hunting and sign Graves or Gavrikov. Don't do this and we're not making the playoffs, all the other moves don't matter as much.

5) We're going to need a partner for Hughes. Bear is the easy cop-out as long as we don't have to overpay. No more than his current deal, keep it around 1.5-2M, but if he wants more we just sign a cheap UFA.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

PDG - Miller - Boeser

McBain - Kampf - Garland

Joshua - Aman - Hoglander

Kravtsov

Graves - Hronek

Hughes - Bear

OEL - Burroughs

Hirose

Rathbone(?)

57 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Don't like signing Bear for 3M and Barbashev and Domi for that much. I don't hate Domi but think there's better options out there. I also doubt Schenn is coming back - why would he after the success he's having in Toronto? Also, Myers is going to cost us something to move if we're lucky.

Don't like Domi at 3.5 and Barbashev at 3?  Those contracts seem dirt cheap for what they bring.  I think it's a pipe dream to think they'll go for that low on the market.  Domi got 50 points this year.  Barbashev also almost 50 points.  If we could buy 100 points for $6.5 million I would do that a million times over.  Which is why it's just not realistic.  They have played well enough to get some long-term contracts.  I think both of them will sign for something like a 5x5, which is definitely something we can't afford.

We really don't need Domi on our 2nd line when PDG is producing as much as Domi would for 1/4th of the price. We can use that extra 2.5 million on something more important, like putting it towards a 4D.

Mikheyev-Pettersson-Kuzmenko

PDG-Miller-Boeser (this line just works somehow)

Beau-3C-Garland

Trade one of Garland or Beau if needed for cap flexibility

Hughes-?/Bear

OEL-Hronek

Hirose-?/Bear

It's a pretty good foundation but management has their work cut out for them.

I'm wary of what Domi is like in the locker room, and wonder if there's a reason why he's changing teams so often (besides his career start with Arizona in which he played 3 seasons, he hasn't played for a team more than two seasons, so I'm skeptical of why teams are so quick to ship him out).  Also not sure Barbashev comes for so cheap.  I do like the Beauvillier and Myers trades though.  

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Don't like Domi at 3.5 and Barbashev at 3?  Those contracts seem dirt cheap for what they bring.  I think it's a pipe dream to think they'll go for that low on the market.  Domi got 50 points this year.  Barbashev also almost 50 points.  If we could buy 100 points for $6.5 million I would do that a million times over.  Which is why it's just not realistic.  They have played well enough to get some long-term contracts.  I think both of them will sign for something like a 5x5, which is definitely something we can't afford.

Yes but they're both quite offensive-minded and I think Allvin wants more of a defensive style 3C. Barbashev is going to cost a team 4-5M easily and to be honest he played a lot of wing last year. Domi as well - he's a consistent 50-60 pt scorer despite playing on what, 4 teams in the last two years? I think he goes for 4M minimum, that's pretty much 2nd line scoring on bad teams (3rd line scoring on contenders).

Barbashev isnt very good on face offs (check his stats) and from what I recall played a lot of wing this year as well.

Canucks need an very responsible 3C that can win key face offs and help drive play towards / offensive zone.  

Ive been looking around and there arnt a lot of options in free agency. If Teddy Bleuger doesnt re-sign with LVGK-he could be an option.  Allvin would be very familiar w/ from his PIT days.

Ideally, Nils Aman works hard/improves on his faceoffs and can grow into that role.  Hes got the work ethic for it.  

15 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Barbashev isnt very good on face offs (check his stats) and from what I recall played a lot of wing this year as well.

Canucks need an very responsible 3C that can win key face offs and help drive play towards / offensive zone.  

Ive been looking around and there arnt a lot of options in free agency. If Teddy Bleuger doesnt re-sign with LVGK-he could be an option.  Allvin would be very familiar w/ from his PIT days.

Ideally, Nils Aman works hard/improves on his faceoffs and can grow into that role.  Hes got the work ethic for it.  

Not many right handed guys good at faceoffs but there's loads of potential 3Cs who we could sign for 2-3M instead of trading for one. Save a trade for a pick, prospect or RD...

Kampf, Puis Suter, Sundqvist, Compher, Eller, Athanasiou, Girgensons, Blueger, Namestikov, Janmark, Acciari....

There's a long list of potential guys in their late 20s who could fill the role for us and do a much better job than Dries (although he did well).

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 2:26 PM, Angry Goose said:

I didn't consider that. But you're right - we are not a great faceoff team, so that 3rd c really needs to know how to win a faceoff.

And I'm not saying Aman doesn't have that potential. But given what he accomplished this season, I don't think management would be interested in "hoping for the best".

On 4/25/2023 at 9:39 AM, Tyndall2 said:

Like your thinking but I wouldn't sign Bear.  Would look to package him in a trade.

To be honest, I don't view Bear as anything more than a really good 3rd pairing player. I think he can fill in a 2nd pairing in a pinch, but he doesn't have enough standout qualities to make that ideal. The only reason I included him is because management said he was part of the solution going forward. If we could instead trade him and bring in a guy who DOES stand out (particularly defensively), then I would agree with you.

On 4/25/2023 at 10:07 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Well, that's at least how much they would go for. I selected Bear as per my mention above, that it looks like management is high on him and he's likely staying, but that's what it will likely take. As for Domi, I believe he has untapped potential and if the fit is right, could be nearly a point a game player for us.I did some research because I had heard it may be a cancer in the dressing room - though I couldn't actually find significant evidence of this. And at least he players a gritty style that we strive for.

I also considered Kamph for the 3C. Good choice. :)

Like the general ideas you have going on even if I'd tweak them personally. 

Agreed we need a 3C. Whoever is the best fit we can find at a reasonable cap hit. As said above Kampf might be a solid defensive 3C who doesn't break the bank. 

Meyers I'd love to move, but wouldn't want to pay anything more than a 5th round pick to do it. Otherwise just hold onto him, either we get an offer for him at the deadline from a team really needing Dman or he expires at the end of the season. We need some decent draft picks, so I'd rather not give one up. 

Domi is a fun idea, but I don't think we need more wingers at this time. I actually think they should move out one of Beau, Garland or Boes. Free up that cap space and use it to sign a top 4 defensive Dman (preferably RD but LD is fine if not, maybe they can even play on their off side).

Another positive about moving out a winger is it frees up a roster spot for some of the Abby guys to try and make the team. Hoglander, Podz, PDG, Aman, Karlsson and maybe even Kratsov are all guys who are likely fighting for spots/want to climb higher up into the lineup. That isn't even all our young guys who might start trying to push into the big club over the next few years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not many right handed guys good at faceoffs but there's loads of potential 3Cs who we could sign for 2-3M instead of trading for one. Save a trade for a pick, prospect or RD...

Kampf, Puis Suter, Sundqvist, Compher, Eller, Athanasiou, Girgensons, Blueger, Namestikov, Janmark, Acciari....

There's a long list of potential guys in their late 20s who could fill the role for us and do a much better job than Dries (although he did well).

JT Compher has been my #1 choice for awhile but $$$ I think he will be in high demand. If the Canucks could get him in at a fair cap hit/go a bit cheaper in the wings I would be more than happy.

Sundqvist Ive been watching.. Steady but reminds a lot of Grandlund. Solid but doesnt really excel at anything + his skating is just average.

Kampf would be a good add but another guy who will be in demand.

Athanasiou no way.

Im betting on Bleuger.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I didn't consider that. But you're right - we are not a great faceoff team, so that 3rd c really needs to know how to win a faceoff.

And I'm not saying Aman doesn't have that potential. But given what he accomplished this season, I don't think management would be interested in "hoping for the best".

Agreed that expecting Aman to be that type of 3/4 year player in his sophomore season is a bit much….I was just thinking of how difficult it might be to trade for or sign (ideally) a preferable younger, responsible 2 way C.  Aman has all the traits I like in a 3C minus his faceoff ability at this point.  

Bring back Juho Lammigoals :metal:

Me Brock his time is done

Brock and Rathbone 

For a 3c. 

Myers will be easy to trade as is after his 5mill is paid.

Bear and Dermot you trade at draft for whatever you can get.

Woo, Johansson,McWard,Hronek are our right d

QH,OEL,Hirose, Wolanin left D 

So see no need to sign Schenn.

8 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

JT Compher has been my #1 choice for awhile but $$$ I think he will be in high demand. If the Canucks could get him in at a fair cap hit/go a bit cheaper in the wings I would be more than happy.

Sundqvist Ive been watching.. Steady but reminds a lot of Grandlund. Solid but doesnt really excel at anything + his skating is just average.

Kampf would be a good add but another guy who will be in demand.

Athanasiou no way.

Im betting on Bleuger.

Agreed that expecting Aman to be that type of 3/4 year player in his sophomore season is a bit much….I was just thinking of how difficult it might be to trade for or sign (ideally) a preferable younger, responsible 2 way C.  Aman has all the traits I like in a 3C minus his faceoff ability at this point.  

Bring back Juho Lammigoals :metal:

I really like Sundqvist but in all honesty he's probably a very good 4C. Bleuger is great at faceoffs, nothing crazy offensively but my worry is that Vegas will re-sign one of Barbashev or Blueger and I doubt it'll be Barbashev due to cost. I think Compher will have priced himself out of us, probably worth a good 4+M as a 50+ point scorer.

10 hours ago, kloubek said:

Well, that's at least how much they would go for. I selected Bear as per my mention above, that it looks like management is high on him and he's likely staying, but that's what it will likely take. As for Domi, I believe he has untapped potential and if the fit is right, could be nearly a point a game player for us.I did some research because I had heard it may be a cancer in the dressing room - though I couldn't actually find significant evidence of this. And at least he players a gritty style that we strive for.

I also considered Kamph for the 3C. Good choice. :)

In Allvin's presser he laughed when asked if Bear deserves a raise and rightly so - he's on a 1.8M contract right now and played with one of the best defencemen in the league. As soon as Allvin eluded to this I thought he knows what he's doing. He's not getting anything north of 2M. I hope PA stands his ground. I'd be more than happy with him coming back for the same price but he doesn't deserve anything over 2M in any planet. The guy was a fringe NHLer before Hughes resurrected his career and PA knows that. 

Problem is we have so many other options for bottom pairing defencemen, if he's asking for 3M goodbye. I don't think many teams on the market give him that. 

• There it is 1

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

In Allvin's presser he laughed when asked if Bear deserves a raise and rightly so - he's on a 1.8M contract right now and played with one of the best defencemen in the league. As soon as Allvin eluded to this I thought he knows what he's doing. He's not getting anything north of 2M. I hope PA stands his ground. I'd be more than happy with him coming back for the same price but he doesn't deserve anything over 2M in any planet. The guy was a fringe NHLer before Hughes resurrected his career and PA knows that. 

Problem is we have so many other options for bottom pairing defencemen, if he's asking for 3M goodbye. I don't think many teams on the market give him that. 

Can’t we just qualify Bear at 1.8?

Plus Woo looks ready to make the jump to the bigs. 

On 4/25/2023 at 8:39 AM, Tyndall2 said:

Like your thinking but I wouldn't sign Bear.  Would look to package him in a trade.

He won't bring much. We only gave up a 5th round pick, and that was with a year left on his deal. He's now an expiring RFA with arbitration rights, if you get future considerations back, that's probably a win. 

I agree though, he doesn't move the needle enough on this roster to be paying him 3+ mil per season. 

As far as the initial post. I don't want Barbashev. This team has enough depth scoring (at least potential) we need a true shutdown center who can PK and win draws. 

I don't think Beau brings back that sort of return, at least not now. If you want until the deadline and retain $, you could ask for that 2nd, but he was a cap dumb in the deal for Bo. NYI had been trying to move off his contract before the Horvat deal, and they couldn't get rid of his contract, so expecting a 2nd back here is wishful thinking. 

I'd like Schenn back, but at what point are we just bringing the same core back next year? I know Rhonek is a solid add, but we're going to need more changeover than that. Myers like him or not plays big minutes, and we're going to need to replace those minutes with something substantial if we move him. I also think he brings a solid return at the deadline if we can be patient. 

A bottom 4 of OEL, Hirose, Bear, and Schenn is a scary thought. On a good team, none of them are more than a 6th/bottom pair dman playing sheltered minutes. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Can’t we just qualify Bear at 1.8?

Plus Woo looks ready to make the jump to the bigs. 

Bear made 2.2 last year, so his QO will be 2.6 on a one year deal. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/qualifying-offer-calculator/ethan-bear/11803#:~:text=The qualifying offer must be,salary was %241%2C000%2C000 or greater.

Edited by MattWN.
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Me Brock his time is done

Brock and Rathbone 

For a 3c. 

Myers will be easy to trade as is after his 5mill is paid.

Bear and Dermot you trade at draft for whatever you can get.

Woo, Johansson,McWard,Hronek are our right d

QH,OEL,Hirose, Wolanin left D 

So see no need to sign Schenn.

Considering only two of those players are true NHL calibre dmen, I'd say there is still a need to sign Schenn, and even then I think Schenn is a bottom pairing player. 

If you ran with those guys, you would get caved in every single night. 

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, MattWN. said:

That's way too much for what Bear provides. Sad to see him go, but it's bye bye to the Huggy-Bear duo. And it's hello to Huggy-Woo! 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1