The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gabriel Landeskog to miss 23-24 Season

Rate this topic

15 hours ago, HKSR said:

Bottomline is knee injuries (other than concussions) are probably the worst injury for an NHL player.  The bread and butter of an effective NHL player is skating.  Reduce that ability by even 10% and they could become a shadow of their former self.

The knee injury that broke Linden's ironman streak was the moment he went from a 70 point player to a 40 point player for the rest of his career.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

The best part of this thread is the claim that knee injuries have advanced in the last 4 years. Especially since for almost half of that time, most elective surgeries were on hiatus due to COVID.

The 2nd best part is, as much as it sucks for Landeskog, this just makes the West more wide open for the next few years. Colorado looked like they’d be dominant for a while, but this brings them back to the pack a bit.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The best part of this thread is the claim that knee injuries have advanced in the last 4 years. Especially since for almost half of that time, most elective surgeries were on hiatus due to COVID.

The 2nd best part is, as much as it sucks for Landeskog, this just makes the West more wide open for the next few years. Colorado looked like they’d be dominant for a while, but this brings them back to the pack a bit.

The best part is its not “injuries” that have advanced, its treatment. The original statement was made in comparison of Landeskog to Orr and Bure and I simply stated things have changed since the days of removing cartilage as they did back in Orr’s day. Bure was a misdiagnosis and it went missed for 4-5 years. Diagnosis has become more and more precise and surgeries have become more and more precise since.
Connor McDavid suffered a possibly career ending/altering injury to the knee. Guess what, McDavid found an alternative form of treatment due to the advances in the medical world that he managed to avoid surgery and he rehabbed it. Doesn’t look like he skates any different to me. 10 years ago they probably would have told him he required surgery. 

"Obviously, I was a 22-year-old kid at the time. You never want to miss a season," McDavid added. "You never want to go through a surgery — I'm not going to call it risky — but there were a lot of questions. It's not like it's an ACL where doctors can almost do that in their sleep. It's a PCL. Only a few doctors have done that and it's not like it's been mastered."

"There were days when it didn't feel that good going through that process," he said. "You're like, 'Uh, I wonder what the MRI is going to look like? Should we go back and do the surgery and start over?' But it just kept progressing and progressing and ultimately we didn't have to go through the surgery route."

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5439004

There are new forms of treatment and there are always new discoveries. There is hope for Landeskog, nothing says this is a guarantee his career is over. 

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

The best part is its not “injuries” that have advanced, its treatment. The original statement was made in comparison of Landeskog to Orr and Bure and I simply stated things have changed since the days of removing cartilage as they did back in Orr’s day. Bure was a misdiagnosis and it went missed for 4-5 years. Diagnosis has become more and more precise and surgeries have become more and more precise since.
Connor McDavid suffered a possibly career ending/altering injury to the knee. Guess what, McDavid found an alternative form of treatment due to the advances in the medical world that he managed to avoid surgery and he rehabbed it. Doesn’t look like he skates any different to me. 10 years ago they probably would have told him he required surgery. 

"Obviously, I was a 22-year-old kid at the time. You never want to miss a season," McDavid added. "You never want to go through a surgery — I'm not going to call it risky — but there were a lot of questions. It's not like it's an ACL where doctors can almost do that in their sleep. It's a PCL. Only a few doctors have done that and it's not like it's been mastered."

"There were days when it didn't feel that good going through that process," he said. "You're like, 'Uh, I wonder what the MRI is going to look like? Should we go back and do the surgery and start over?' But it just kept progressing and progressing and ultimately we didn't have to go through the surgery route."

There are new forms of treatment and there are always new discoveries. There is hope for Landeskog, nothing says this is a guarantee his career is over. 

Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Actually, I made it pretty clear I was referring to Methot and how 4 years ago he had the surgery and never played again.  Medical advancements come from funding, research, and practice.   You honestly think millions upon millions are being raised and spent on knee surgery research and that major advancements have happened over 4 years where the medical world has been focusing almost all of their efforts on the pandemic?  Delusional my friend.

On 5/9/2023 at 8:10 AM, HKSR said:

Even if he does come back, he won't be the same player.  Knee injuries are brutal when skating is such a key factor in an effective player in the NHL.  Just ask Bobby Orr and Pavel Bure.

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Actually, I made it pretty clear I was referring to Methot and how 4 years ago he had the surgery and never played again.  Medical advancements come from funding, research, and practice.   You honestly think millions upon millions are being raised and spent on knee surgery research and that major advancements have happened over 4 years where the medical world has been focusing almost all of their efforts on the pandemic?  Delusional my friend.

image.gif.627dee458e437d4555c49fb778435e8d.gif

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mll said:

Landeskog says the surgery has an 85% success rate.  It will be performed by the same doctor that did Methot's procedure.

85% success rate to be able to walk again? 

Doubt he's going to be coming back to peak NHL skating shape again. 

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Landeskog has 2 problems.  Obviously the first problem is the knee surgery and recovery. Any surgery where you need to find a dead person to get live cartilage to transplant into your knee is pretty serious and the chances of playing hockey again are quite low.  But, even if he were to fully recover from the surgery and the knee is good to go, the second problem is he will not have played any hockey for over 2 years. At 32 and no hockey at all for 2 years the chances of coming back to play at a high level is quite low.

I think he is done as a hockey player, but hopefully the surgery is successful enough where he can live a life and play with his kids.

As for Colorado, they are lucky they won a cup.  They may not get that chance again. They don’t have alot of cap space even with Landeskog on LTIR, Toews is a UFA next summer and Rantanen the year after. They don’t have a 2C, an NHL goalie and now they lost their captain and top left winger.  They are probably gonna go all in now and trade their 1st round picks and young players. 

I am sure they would love to get Miller to replace Landeskog and play 2C.

I had a choice between using cadaver cartilege or a piece of my own hamstring when reconstructing my knee, my doctor used both surgeries.  I chose the hamstring and regretted it as my hamstring on that side just isn't as strong and I get cramps in it regularly.  It isn't unusual at all to use tissue from dead people in surgeries.

The recovery for this surgery is more than a year, but light exercise and pretty normal life pretty quickly after a couple months.

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He fully expects to return.  Says that retirement hasn't crossed his mind.

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

No... 85% success rate of the cartilege taking and the repair holding up after 10-15 years.

https://www.orthotexas.com/cartilage-transplants-restoration-for-an-injured-knee/#:~:text=However%2C it can take up,to 15 years after surgery.

• elephant 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I had a choice between using cadaver cartilege or a piece of my own hamstring when reconstructing my knee, my doctor used both surgeries.  I chose the hamstring and regretted it as my hamstring on that side just isn't as strong and I get cramps in it regularly.  It isn't unusual at all to use tissue from dead people in surgeries.

The recovery for this surgery is more than a year, but light exercise and pretty normal life pretty quickly after a couple months.

Marc Methot had the exact surgery with the exact same doctor as Landeskog will be using.  He said he can't even play beer league hockey anymore and playing stick hockey with his kids is very painful.  So, there is no guarantee with this surgery.  However, you are right.  If you have a choice between taking cartilage from your own leg or a dead person, you should probably use the dead person, as your leg will never be the same with the missing cartilage...

• Like 1

image.gif.627dee458e437d4555c49fb778435e8d.gif

On 5/9/2023 at 11:42 AM, HKSR said:

Methot had the exact same surgery as Landeskog is gonna have.  That was 4 years ago.  Methot never played again.

It's OK, you'll learn to read soon.