The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Garland rising?

Rate this topic

iceman64

On 5/24/2023 at 11:23 PM, canuck73_3 said:

Same but Beauvillier first for me 

Beau at least plays strong on the wall. Of the 3 he's the only one who hits. That being said he and Brock both need to go. Garland is fine and would do well on a tougher team which basically is to say we need to be a tougher team. Garland is one of the best in the league at drawing penalties and is our 3rd leading scorer 5v5. I think it's also understated how much we missed Pearson in the lineup last year. 

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Beau at least plays strong on the wall. Of the 3 he's the only one who hits. That being said he and Brock both need to go. Garland is fine and would do well on a tougher team which basically is to say we need to be a tougher team. Garland is one of the best in the league at drawing penalties and is our 3rd leading scorer 5v5. I think it's also understated how much we missed Pearson in the lineup last year. 

Two of Boeser, Beau, or Garland will be gone this coming season. Likely Garland or Boeser this summer and Beau at the 2024 TDL. 

• Vintage 1

Garland- RW:  buying out Conor is a waste of $.  Sure you get the $4.1 in the 1st 2 yrs and $3.1 in the 3rd

year, but there is still $1.88 to be paid out in the remaining 3yrs.  It would be better to retain $1mx3yrs in a

trade and still benefit from the $3.950 cap relief for the remainder of his contract.

Garland would be a solid veteran presence on a young team (could see him thriving in a leadership role)

and could very likely be a regular 20g scorer throughout the remainder of his contract.  Not bad for a

$4m a yr player.  Ideally, a trade with the Sharks for Sturm (2mx2) who could man the 3C role until

Raty or draft pic are ready to fill it.

Boeser- RW:  Seems a lot of folks are on the 'Brock is going to be a beast in the coming season' train.  I hope

they are right; otherwise he is definitely a $ retention in a trade or a buyout.

Beau- LW/RW:  I like his speed and offence, but he is due to be a UFA after the coming season.  He is a

tradable asset, but is he worth a new contract with ++$ and term?

Garland and Boeser will require retention in a trade (Conor's around $1mx3 and Brock's $1.65-$2mx2yr).

I suspect Garland will be traded during the offseason and the management will wait and see how Brock is

doing in November.

Beau will be traded before 2024 TDL.

• Vintage 1

On 5/25/2023 at 7:10 AM, EddieVedder said:

Problem is theyve been trying to trade boeser for years and no one wants him.  

I would keep Beau out of them all.  Hes a natural scorer, good on forecheck, low maintenance and can play with any of our centres.  Solid fit here.

Probably depends on his next contract - if he is open to a two or three year term at the same Cap Rate then maybe good value. If he is looking for $4.4M or more then might be best to trade at the draft or TDL.

IMHO the Canucks should be patient this year and just work on improving internally this year - try and sign EP, work on building a strong one two punch in Demko/Silovs, work on work effort, and then trade excess pieces at the TDL. Every year they ship out bodies and bring new in, they have a horrible start and the rinse and repeat. Time to let the new leadership group set the tone, add and subtract pieces from there.

• There it is 1